Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reliability of Serum Tryptase (Read 4963 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reliability of Serum Tryptase
08/23/11 at 14:04:11

I'm wondering how reliable the serum tryptase blood test is. Can anyone give me information on this?

Kim

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Reliability of Serum Tryptase
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 17:47:10

Hi Kim,

The serum tryptase test accurately reflects the tryptase level in the blood at the time the sample is taken, and it's an indicator of whether an anaphylactic or anaphylactoid reaction is taking place or has taken place recently.  Depending on the timing, it might not reflect what is happening in the patient's body.  Someone can have a mast cell activation problem and have normal tryptase.  I hope this excerpt from a lab website answers your question.  If not, post a more specific question, and I'll try to answer....:

"Tryptase

The measurement of serum levels of mast-cell specific products can clarify the diagnosis of anaphylaxis in ambiguous circumstances (e.g. defining vasovagal responses versus anaphylaxis, or defining cause for hypotension intraoperatively). Histamine elevation is transient (peak missed if collected beyond one hour) with false-positives occurring through basophil activation in clotted tubes. For this reason tryptase is the preferred marker for demonstrating mast-cell degranulation.

Levels of serum tryptase, a mast–cell specific protease, peak at one hour after an anaphylactic/ anaphalactoid reaction and remain elevated for approximately six hours, making tryptase a useful test for most emergency situations. Ideally, serum tryptase levels should be collected between one and six hours following an anaphylactic episode. Elevated serum tryptase implies either massive mast cell degranulation (as in anaphylaxis) or a condition with too many mast cells (e.g. mastocytosis). It should be remembered that not all cases of true anaphylaxis are accompanied by tryptase elevation. For example, some cases of food-induced anaphylaxis display normal tryptase levels, perhaps through basophil-mediated histamine release. Nevertheless, tryptase elevation has been quoted as possessing 95% sensitivity and 95% specificity for clinically significant mast-cell-mediated anaphylactic/anaphalactoid events, which offers a positive likelihood score of 19 (making anaphylaxis 19-times more likely than before the test was done). "

Source:  [urlhttp://www.haps.nsw.gov.au/research/Communique_List/Tryptase_and_Anaphylaxis.aspx[/url]

Joan

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 08/24/11 at 01:05:07

Thanks Joan. You answered my question:)

Kim

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #3 - 08/24/11 at 06:33:14

There can be false positives as well...I don't know why but NIH thought my husbands was a false positive and only until they sent it to Dr Schwartz lab and he confirmed that it was tryptase coming from mast cells that they told us it wasn't. Of course I always thought it was accurate because my whole family has elevated tryptases and couldn't all be testing false/positive. My husbands tryptase level also never really changed it was always in the 25 range.

If you go into anaphylactic shock your tryptase level is always elevated, even in non masto people.

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 08/24/11 at 14:17:13

Patricia wrote on 08/24/11 at 06:33:14:
If you go into anaphylactic shock your tryptase level is always elevated, even in non masto people.

Actually, that's not always true.  Here's a quote from an article written by Dr. Schwartz:

Not all hypotensive reactions that clinically seem to be anaphylactic are associated with elevated levels of mature tryptase, however. For example, victims of fatal and near-fatal food-induced anaphylaxis often show no mature tryptase elevation [48,49], raising the possibility that some of these events may not be dependent on mast cell activation. Basophils have been suggested as an alternative effector cell, but direct evidence for this has not yet emerged. Other considerations might include overproduction through non-mast cell pathways of vasoactive mediators, such as complement anaphylatoxins, kinins, or lipids.

http://www.aebm.org/jornadas/alergia/7.-%20Immunol%20Allergy%20Clin%20NA%202006....

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #5 - 08/24/11 at 14:31:46

oops sorry thats what they told me at NIH, so does that mean that sometimes tryptase is released from something other than mast cells

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 08/24/11 at 16:52:12

Actually, what the article is saying is that perhaps not all anaphylaxis is driven by mast cell degranulation... there's research going on about reactions caused by basophils (which behave a lot like mast cells, except they circulate freely in the blood), the kallikrein-kinin system, the complement system, IgG antibodies, etc...  For example, when basophils degranulate they can release a substance called PAF (Platelet Activating Factor), a vasodilator 30,000 times more powerful than histamine!  As far as I know there's only one drug that can block PAF (rupatadine), but it's not available in the US yet.  

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #7 - 08/25/11 at 04:58:28

wow do you know what test would determine if they are coming from basophils or how would you find out if your basophils would degranulate.

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #8 - 08/25/11 at 11:54:12

Actually, I believe when they do any kind of "histamine release assay" (like RAST) they're actually using basophils instead of mast cells.  The reason is because basophils can be collected from a blood sample.  Mast cells, on the other hand, embed themselves in our tissues (GI, skin, eyes, reproductive organs, bone marrow... all over the place), so the only way to collect them is with a biopsy.  Both have IgE receptors though... they degranulate in response to similar triggers.

I know mast cells and basophils release slightly different contents when they degranulate.  I'm not sure of the exact differences... and I'm not sure what tests are available.  Sorry!  This is a big area of research right now.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #9 - 08/26/11 at 09:19:03

Thank you Heather! since were on the subject of basophils can we skip to eosinophils...

what if your eosinophils are elevated?

Im asking because my daughter labs came back from NIH and she had elevated eosinophils, tryptase 20, ANA 2.1, IgE 1950...

Patricia

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 08/26/11 at 12:17:52

Eosinophilia and eosinophilic disorders seem to be pretty common in people with mast cell disorders.  There's a woman on the board of TMS (Lisa Sterling) who has both... it runs in her family.  She would be an excellent person to contact if you want more information.  Maybe that's the problem your family is having??

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print