Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New info: Allegra Splitting and Dosing (Read 4429 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
New info: Allegra Splitting and Dosing
08/22/11 at 07:55:24

I spoke with a pharmacist at the manufacturer of Allegra today to clear up  questions about dosing and breaking Allegra tablets.  I'd thought the 180 mg. strength was time-release, and so shouldn't be broken.

Both strengths of Allegra (60 and 180 mg.) are designed for immediate release.  None are time-released.  None are enteric coated either.  Still, the manufacturer recommends not crushing or breaking the tablets because they didn't study them to see if there'd be any adverse effects from breaking them.  I guess that means they don't know if the active ingredients are spread evenly throughout the tablet.

He said that doctors or pharmacists might, in their clinical judgment, tell patients to split the tabs, because they don't think it'll be a problem, but the company could not recommend or sanction that, because they haven't studied that way of using them.

As always, do check with your doctor before deciding how to take this drug.

Joan

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: New info: Allegra Splitting and Dosing
Reply #1 - 08/22/11 at 12:43:07

Wow! Thanks so much for checking that out for everyone, Joan.
Kim

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New info: Allegra Splitting and Dosing
Reply #2 - 09/10/11 at 14:15:58

I did notice that it says on the zyrtec label (10 mg) that sometimes it is more appropriate to take 5 mg if your allergy symptoms aren't bad.  Does this mean it is safe to break them? I have broken most of my meds as I can't tolerate taking them all at once.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print