Send Topic Print
They don't get it! (Read 6302 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
They don't get it!
08/22/11 at 04:51:27

I just had to vent. So yesterday my friend and her husband stopped by and her husband could see all my lovely hives and commented on them and said how he has problems with them every once in awhile and how awful it is. I said YES! Thank you! My friend said...."Well you know the more you think about it, the worse it is. You have to learn how to control the anxiety." Ohhhhhhh, I said to her.....while I try my best to remain calm and NOT think about my hives and how it feels like my skin is on fire and I have hundred of ants biting me all over and all while I'm wrapped in a wool banket, .....sometimes it's hard NOT to think about it. She applogized after that. I don't want a pitty party I just hate when people act like it is so easy to ignore. I know this is bad but I wish they would get hives for just a few days to understand. Then we have other people that seem to not want to except the masto diagnoses and think maybe it's just my hormones or better yet it's all the pills I have to take, THATS what is causing all of this. LOL!!!! I feel like banging my head against the wall over and over again. OKay......I'm done down.
Melissa

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: They don't get it!
Reply #1 - 08/22/11 at 05:05:40

Oh Missy! I hear ya! I relate as I'm SURE many others here as well. I thought I read a post on here somewhere on how we react to others ( who just don't understand). Some of it was funny, some was completely relatable for me, and some were ingenious!
Can anyone remember where this topic is? Great one to go back to and read when 'friends mean well' type situations crawl under our skin!
Let it rill off your already weighed down shoulders. We understand you, you know deep down their meant well advice isn't to be mean and that we are usually the exception to the advice we here. Smile, says thanks and HURRY YOU TAIL TO US SO YOU CAN SCREAM! Smiley we'll be here for you.
Kim

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 08/22/11 at 06:30:59

Oh I know she means well. I know most people will never understand. Sometimes I have to try really hard to control the witch thats on my shoulder from saying what I really want to say. When you feel crappy your tolerance is soooooo much lower. It's nice to talk with others alike about this, I know you all understand. Thanks for the support!
Melissa

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/22/11 at 06:33:16

Ohhhhh. I can completely relate. Those are classic -- "Just ignore it" and "It's all those pills you take."  And my personal favorite, "It's because you never had kids so you don't have anything to focus on outside of yourself."  

I get it. Today I decided maybe it's better if I don't "go home" for Christmas with my family because they don't believe me that I actually was dx with this, so I think it'd just be too stressful too have to explain and defend myself.

I understand Melissa!

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/22/11 at 08:48:31

Haha you should have said "Well, thinking about your problem too much could stress you out and make it worse too,"  and when she asked what problem that is you could answer the dreaded  "Foot-in-mouth disease"...I hear that is going around alot cause there sure are a lot of rude people! Cheesy...People don't get it generally so I try not to talk about it, but its tough when you have hives like you do or when you are flushing like a crazy woman as I am half the time!  People kinda notice those things...um and comment.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 08/22/11 at 17:11:16

I understand, truly I do. I have a family who lives within 1 mile from me and dont think Im really sick... I got disability in 4 months no lawyer, I have violent shock episodes but they think Im not sick. Havent spoke to them since April cause they think Im just being a baby about this LOL... oh well... I have all of YOU and I appreciate you Smiley
lotsa love
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 08/23/11 at 04:46:07

Sometimes I feel like writing an article to send to a paper or magazine about how people who are chronically ill often get unfairly labeled as hypocondriacs. Most people that go to the doctor often.....it's because they are truly ill. We don't enjoy paying tons of money a year, taking medications which sometimes have awful side effects. Wake up world! We don't need sympathy, we need compassion.
Melissa

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #7 - 08/23/11 at 13:39:34

Here, here Missy! Spoken as if it came right out of my lips!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print