Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sleep disorders? mast cell related (Read 9266 times)
goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

sleep disorders? mast cell related
08/03/11 at 11:00:51

I have a hugh problem now with sleep I have never had a problem before getting sick. I can't sleep I have taken numerous sleep meds and they all keep me awake at first my body fights them, I just tried doxepin and wow that though me for a loop I was totally dizzy and had tachycardia and was not able too sleep at all it woke me up even more but had my head spinning and today I am sicker then I have been in a while. My question is does anyone else have this problem and what do I do I also can't take benadryl anymore it wakes me up and gets me wired so bad. ok thanks for any help you can give me I am at my wits end need some sleep.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: sleep disorders? mast cell related
Reply #1 - 08/03/11 at 11:44:06

I used to have a lot of problems with dizziness and nausea at night.  That went away once I was taking enough antihistamines and sticking to the low-histamine diet.  Not long ago I started having trouble falling asleep... ugh!  I was worried that I was slipping backwards, but it turned out to be a minor problem unrelated to my mast cells Wink  My doctor prescribed a low dose of Xanax (an anti-anxiety medication) for me to take at bedtime.  It makes a big difference.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #2 - 08/04/11 at 13:18:32

Xanax is helpful and sleep is one of the hardest things to deal with or lack of sleep! I read somewhere that the H3 histamine receptor is responsible for triggering the brain to wake up and stay awake!
The minute my husbands eyes open he's up...he has a really hard time falling back asleep and usually wakes up at 4 or 5 am. How can you heal if you're body do nest get adequate sleep and your cells don't have enough time to repair themselves.

My husband tolerates 25mg of doxepin fine but he used to take 25mg of atarax along with that and he would get crazy scary vivid dreams. We cut that out and only use atarax if hes really reactive. He seems to be sleeping better and if for some reason he wakes up at 1am he takes a Xanax because if not he'll be up all night and a mess the next day.

Patricia

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/06/11 at 12:48:34

I had a feeling it has too do with histamine, I am on 10mg of claritin and 150mg of zantac and I do take ativan before I go too sleep. I stopped the doxepin and now I tried ambien and wow that works much better, just makes me a little dizzy in the am but I am sure you are right about the histamine thing, I never felt like this before its like my brain is in over drive does not want too let me sleep.

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #4 - 08/06/11 at 14:54:52

Can't wait for the histamine 3 blocker to come down the pipeline!

He says it's like his brain is going 150 miles an hour and his body is at 20!

We actually just switched from claratin (he was taking that in the am along w/Zantac) to allegra 180 mg and wow there was a big difference.
It was like he was on speed the first 3 days which really freaked me out and then his body adjusted. He just seems a lot better and much more normal.

Again everyone is different and when he first got sick we tried allegra and I had written down that he had a reaction to it. I was very reluctant to retry it but I'm really glad we did.

Patricia

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 08/07/11 at 03:18:03

I have ALWAYS been a sleep monster! I never had issues falling asleep and would be grumpy as all get out if someone woke me up. I suppose because a snore so badly that I probably wasn't getting adequate sleep. Since being sick, however, I now wake fully up several times a night and feel fatigued/drained most of the day. I've taken, a few times now, my husbands prescription for Ambien and it works GREAT! I don't do this often because it's his and he needs it. Also I've read it's addictive and I don't want to get hooked on it.
What is this talk of an H3 blocker?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 08/07/11 at 05:36:18

Oh gosh, I have always slept great. Now with the histamine blockers, it is even easier to fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow! So for me, the meds do not negatively impact my sleep patterns at all.
« Last Edit: 08/07/11 at 12:39:19 by DeborahW, Founder »  

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #7 - 08/07/11 at 08:39:05

I believe they are still researching, testing or approving a drug to block the H3 receptor.

I think sleep is so important and its really hard when youre waking up in the middle of the night,  then the next day youre exhausted and its a vicious cycle.

Patricia

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08/12/11 at 06:02:11

I believe your histamine release follows a circadian rythem (release more at night).  It is thought that histamine might have some effect on the centers in your brain that control sleep.

I will often wake up at night following deep REM sleep.  Many times after doing so, I will get my mast cell attacks in the middle of the night.  My histamine goes up then and it seems to wake me up.

I'm going to try Zyrtec soon and see if it helps me to sleep a little better through the night past this.  I take Loratidine now at night, but it makes me a little too wired.

Has anybody else used Zyrtec at night?  Did it help you to sleep better?  How has Zyrtec worked for you?

I took it once, followed by hot chocolate.  I got a mast cell reaction, but the doc is pretty sure it was the chocolate (dark kind).  I had taken Zyrtec before alone, no problems, and the dark chocolate gives me a stomach ache right after I drink it.

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/12/11 at 06:21:51

Insomnia has been a huge issue for me in the past.  It still is if I eat the wrong thing during the.  Before I realized the connection I was prescribed xanax.  It lead to a five year addiction to that class of drugs and I'm NOT an addictive person.  My body just needed more and more to sleep as the drug does some nasty things to your Gaba receptors (which help you feel calm).  Getting off them was very difficult, so please be careful if you decide to try those.  

I take Zytrec at night.  I don't think it causes me problems. The Gastrocrom definitely did when I first started taking it, but that seems to have passed.

I don't know if it'll work for you, but if I do have trouble sleeping now I take Valerian root.  I'm newbie so take it with a grain of salt, but it does seem to help if I need it.  

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #10 - 08/12/11 at 06:54:10

Thanks for the tip...I never understood why docs would tell us its easy to get addicted because you just pass out on it. We will be careful, my husband hates to take meds that mood alter but realizes that sometimes hes too wound up, cant sleep or if we know were going into a stressful situation hell take it.

He used to get really bad insomnia when he would eat sushi or a lot soy sauce. He would have really restless sleep...

Patricia

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 08/12/11 at 11:40:49

Hi Jill,

I have taken zyrtec for my evening dose for years. It is fabulous. I also take it in the first part of the day as my "extra dose" of histamine blockers if I need one.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 08/12/11 at 11:46:01

Be careful with the xanax. When I was first sick years ago and my doc couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, he gave me a tiny dose of xanax to take twice/day or when an attack would start (besides being an anti-anxiety, it is an anti-convulsant - so he said. He gave it to me for my GI attacks). Anyway, while it helped dramatically, it made me so fatigued that I would fall asleep mid-sentence! So, after a couple months I decided to discontinue it. It is a drug that one can become dependent upon. Thus, although I didn't take it long, it took a full month to wean me off of it as we kept reducing the doseage tiny bit by tiny bit.

So, just be careful, because you can't just stop it cold turkey if you are currently taking it daily.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #13 - 08/13/11 at 08:20:12

Now that you mention it I have another friend who suffers from terrible heartburn and she tells me that all her drs tell her she has anxiety and always give her scrip for xanax...she has anxiety because no one can figure out whats wrong with her stomach issues!

Patricia

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 09/11/11 at 15:52:01

Once again; I find I am not alone- the sleep thing has been a huge pain for me. before I was diagnosed with TMEP; I had whole nights-sometimes 3 in a row; where i was literally awake ALL night. Still do occaisionally. Sounds like theres definately a connection. I take Zyrtec at night now as part of my treatment, and sometimes half a xanax. I have had anxiety issues for years, but am careful with the xanax. It can be addictive, and if you've taken it for a while and go off it suddenly, can be dangerous. This said; staying awake all nite can be just as bad, and aggravate our symptoms. I felt the Zyrtec made me "wired" at first, but now it seems that Im used to it and I do sleep better. Hope this helps  Smiley and sweet dreams !
lori

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print