Send Topic Print
re neuropathy (Read 2954 times)
hernandez
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
west palm beach florida
re neuropathy
07/25/11 at 15:21:25

Hi, I just wanted to share a medicine that my Doctor put me on that has worked a miracle for my neuropathy ( which started at the same time as my IA ). I have been on gabapentin for months now with no relief. My Dr added amitriptyline a week ago and wow NO more tingling or burning in my feet and legs and even my arms dont itch anymore ( which they did after every shower). Just wanted to share as I think alot of us suffer with this. Take care, Lisa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: re neuropathy
Reply #1 - 07/30/11 at 06:00:27

Amitriptyline is also a tricyclic antidepressant, which can cause dramatic side effects (anaphylaxis, hypersomnolence) in some mast cell patients.  It's great that it helped you!  Personally, I would be very cautious if my doctor suggested it.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 08:33:26

I'm one who can't take these meds!  Each time I've been put on one, it's made my symptoms much much worse!  So it's important to remember that although one medicine may work for one person, they may not for another.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/30/11 at 11:00:10

I am glad you are getting some relief...hope it keeps working for you!  I tried it but it made my heart race and my head felt like "janitor in a drum", but it did help the neuropathic pain.  Had to give it up.  Tried gabapentin too, zippo, just like your experience.  The weird part is, then tried Lyrica which is the derivative of gabapentin and it does help me.  However, like elavil, it can be a tricky med, and has to be closely monitored when your first start it.  Some people find great relief with elavil, so I hope you are one of those....knock wood, cause neuropathic pain can be a real bummer!

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 07/31/11 at 14:23:01

I am similar to Lisa, at first they seem to work then about a week or 2 later symptoms worst & I tried them all as orginally the problem started with my feet & with my age 60's  naturally think of neuropathy but ended up being masto. Neurotin was the worst made me uncordinated & lots of bad thoughts. Actually cymbalta worked the longest then it stopped too. But mine wasn't classic neuroathy as feet stopped hurting when I got off them. Now trying rubbing gastrocrom directly on the feet 3-4 times a day followed by a lotion to help absorp as much as possible. Working not for sure but worth the try, especially with our heat wave & me walking the dog twice a day.
MikeV

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print