Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Job Interviews and other nervous situations :D (Read 2909 times)
r123
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Job Interviews and other nervous situations :D
05/17/11 at 11:32:40

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I posted on here (I used to use the other forum). I hope you all are well!

So everyone has heard the phrase "fake it till you make it," which is exactly what I have to do in any kind of public speaking/job interview type situation... I'm not bad at it, but I get super nervous.

However, even if I can manage to keep it cool, and look/seem like I know what I'm talking about.... it kind of ruins it that I turn BRIGHT RED and get blotchy hives on my chest no matter how calm I pretend to be.

The other issue is that the masto affects my eustachian tube and makes it swell or something, so when I get nervous my ear pops repeatedly or is clogged and it's hard to hear what someone is saying... definitely not ideal at a job interview or in a meeting.
(by the way, does anyone else have this problem? I know its masto related although I've yet to meet anyone who has the same problem)

Phew... anyways, does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep all these masto issues under control during those types of situations? It's a pain in the butt that even if I can pretend not to be as nervous as I really am, my masto tends to give it away and being that I'm 23 and typically one of the youngest in most working environments, I'd like to seem like I know what I'm doing (even though I have no clue!)

Also, where I work currently, my bosses' boss practically BATHES in cologne, and every time he comes into the office (luckily his office is down the street) I have to turn on my desk fan full-blast and start chugging ice water (ice water tends to help keep my symptoms in check sometimes).  Obviously I can't tell him he stinks or that I'm allergic to his cologne... I guess I should just be thankful that masto doesn't(knock on wood) make me go into shock.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has this problem as well, but yellow lights (like regular yellow bulbs... the white ones don't usually bother me as much) ALWAYS make me flush... I don't know... and so many offices have them. If I got a job in an office with those kind of lights I'd probably have to break in during the night to switch out all the lightbulbs. OY!

Okay well I suppose that was half ranting, but my long-time boyfriend just got a job like 4 hours away and I want to go with him but I need to find a job up there, and I'm trying to set up job interviews.
Whenever I have like a stressful event in my life, I notice all these new dots on my skin, and trying to move for the first time in my life has definitely inspired some new dots, lol.

Well any suggestions on handling a job interview while keeping my masto in check would be awesome!

Thanks for listening.
Also, I can't wait for the PA Support Group this weekend. Is anyone else planning on going?

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Job Interviews and other nervous situations :D
Reply #1 - 05/17/11 at 14:21:39

Hi Hon!!
Im glad we have you back here again, no matter the why, we are KEEPING you LOL...Im so sorry youre going through that garbage with interviews, jobs you dont know if you will be able to keep because of your symptoms. For right now, you have to keep it up.. I understand no other choice. But please remember, its time to start paperwork so in the future IF you need disability, youre ready and that takes some time. Please read some of the posts in the DISABILITY thread ok??

Now,, I want you to sit down and make a list of your talents, seriously--not just those youve worked with. I would love to see you start a very small home business where you can be more felxable and not worry about other peoples reactions.  I understand thats easy for me to say, not so easy to do... Just think about it ok?? Pet sitting, babysitting during the day, running errands for people, maybe being someones assistant. Anything to give you more independance.

I think yellow light bulbs give off more heat than white ones do, Im not positive. I know what you mean about ice water!! If I had to choose between eating and a bag of ice--I would choose ice lol.  Hey, when you go to an interview, you know the anxiety will make you heat up--try this, take some small baggies and freeze them, then put them under your clothes and be cool while you talk Smiley

Im thinking of you Hon... and hoping you are soon to be with the one you love and happy Smiley
HUGS!
me

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/17/11 at 17:52:07

Hello and welcome back. I'm still fairly new here but your mention of eustachian tube problems caught my eye. My ear and eustachian tube problems have been going on for over 5 years and just recently when I started BAD flushing and episodes of anaphylaxis did I finally connect everything to mast cells. The thing that has helped my ears the most is tympanostomy tubes. I am on my third set in 5 years. They help to equalize the pressure when the eustachian tube swells. My husband can hear my ears popping too. The pressure gets so bad and I also have hearing issues. Do your ears flush? Mine get really red during episodes and I also get redness and burning pain above the roof of my mouth and my upper throat/tonsil area. Just wondering if you do too...

I also have problems with store lighting. I think it's the flourescent type. I get strange vision and a weird fuzzy feeling in my head, almost like pressure behind my eyes.

Stress is my big trigger too and very hard to avoid, especially in an interview. Try wearing very lightweight clothing and your hair up if it's long. Maybe a xanax or other anti-anxiety pill would help, if it doesn't make you loopy and tired.

Wishing you well on your interview,
Kristi

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/20/11 at 12:59:08

Wow, this thread has so much in it that I can relate to.

Thanks for bringing up the problems with the ears.  When I am going through a bad spell, I can tell right away in the ear tubes.... yep, I get like a weird accoustic sound as the fluid starts to accumilate.  Always happens when I flare.  It gets so much so at some times, that I seriously thought I had a bug in my ear or something! Sometimes sounds like butterflies in my ears!  I had a whole evaluation for vertigo too, nothing wrong with the ears, they are normal and my hearing is very good.  I think it must do something to my acoustic nerves when it flares up or something.  It feels really weird when that happens.  I also get a tingly feeling up and down my spine at those times too.

Ditto on the store lighting. YES, I get that all the time.

Yes with the stress... learned the hard way this spring about that one!

So, if I can offer you one word of encouragment about the job hunt... I got interviewed on the phone for a job just 10 minutes after I had my bone marrow biopsy in the hospital.  They asked if they could interview me, and I told them, "Well, I'm in the hospital and I just had a bone marrow biospy, but I don't mind if you don't mind.  It's not like I have anywhere to go or anything else to do but watch re-runs on the TV."

As it turned out, I got called back for two more follow-up interviews and was actually offered the job.  Wound up turning it down as it would have been too stressful and for some other concerns. However,it  just goes to show you that anything is possible in this weird econcomic world right now!!!!!

So chin up on those job interviews.  I'm right there with you now.  I am hesitant to take the Benedryl beforehand, as I am afraid I will start yawning when they ask me questions.  I usually schedule the interviews right after I had my Gastrocrom if possible.  That covers me for awhile!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 05/21/11 at 17:57:56

I can so relate on the whole job interview thing, getting flushed on the chest and hives even if I feel calm. Uhhhh. I have little ones now so I don't work much except for occasionally I do some side work for a previous employer.
Good luck to you I hope you find a new job where your boyfriend is.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 05/22/11 at 07:22:01

Job Interviews = Doctor consultations!!!

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

r123
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/22/11 at 09:49:00

Hey everyone,
thanks for all the advice.

i'm glad to hear other people mention ear issues, I'm sick of being told that it's not related or that my ears are fine (my hearing is perfect as is my inner ear). I know theres not much I can do about it, I discussed getting ear tubes, but since the ear problem isn't consistent and it would be hard to tell how much the ear tubes helped (it goes away for months at a time, but other times it happens several times a day) he didnt recommend it.

about the job interview and flushing situation, someone recently recommended i try taking baby benedryl beforehand, and hopefully it will have the positive effects without me napping mid-interview!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 05/22/11 at 10:41:15

What I do when I KNOW I'm going into a high stress situation, I take an extra antihistamine (allegra in my case) about a half hour before the situation.  Since doctors are one of my known triggers ( haha!)  depending upon the situation and the doctor I've taken allegra ahead of time!  This usually isn't for my local doctors but for those who are a 2-5 hour trip away and I've already got the stress of travelling on top of the stress of the consultation and if the doctor is a NEW doctor and doesn't know me I don't want to be giving him any peek shows with my acting up cause otherwise they tend to think it's all emotional and although the stress of having to meet with a new doctor is emotional/anxiety related due to past doctor traumas, it's not the thing that is wrong, it's the masto being triggered by the anxiety.  So, in order to keep the reacting down to a minimum of only a flush or rash, then I take meds ahead of time.

I've also done this when I've had to give public speaking engagements.  I will take that extra antihistamine so that I don't have the worry of going into kiniptions during the engagement!  Honestly, when you already have a stressfull situation you know is going to provoke your mast cells, the very best thing you can do for yourself is to eliminate some of that anxiety and worry!  So, by taking the extra antihistamine you put your mind at ease and say, Well, I should get through this without any problems.  Yes, you are psyching yourself out of triggering, but let's face it - too many of us have found ourselves in the midst of the trouble saying, Why didn't I listen to myself and take that medication before hand "just in case" !   I've done this once too many times myself and it wasn't until I asked Dr. Castells about one specific subject and I sat thinking about it that I realized what she was saying to me.

The subject was that of sex and having sex trigger a reaction.  She told me that the extra activity can trigger an attack, however, with orgasm histamines are released and this will send some of us right over the edge.  She said that the way to deal with this, in order to PREVENT the reacting was to take an extra antihistamine 1/2 hour before the activity!   BINGO!!  This was the key to going into any major stressfull situation, that of PREVENTATIVE medication so that you could keep your levels of antihistamines high enough to deal with the known provocation that your stressfull situation was going to create.

Now, granted, she spoke to me only about the situations regarding sex, however, it is I who has translated this into other stressfull situations.  She was not giving this advice solely to me in the sense that I was asking about what do I do when I find I've got trouble.  I had written to her about other patients in general and what do WE all do with this specific situation.

However, like anything else we all talk about here, if you are unsure, speak with your doctors about how to deal with this.  My doctors have CONFIRMED for me that this is what I need to so and they have openly said to me, Lisa, be free as to what you need to do to prevent anaphylaxis!  And when I've reacted in front of my masto doctor (yes, I react in front of her too!  She gets so excited to see the flushing just pop up suddenly and then watches me as I go into kiniptions! Cheesy) she's said to my husband to grab my meds and give it to me!!  

If this is what we've got to do to remain stable, then so be it!!   I suspect, however, that I'm once again undermedicated for I'm having to pop them pills too frequently now and that's a sign that I'm not medicated sufficiently.   So, I'll be taking another trip to see her soon!!!

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 07/27/11 at 08:26:41

r123,
I think you just enlightened me to something.  I used to work in a pretty stressful job but one that I really enjoyed.  When I would have a meeting with an executive at our company or would prepare to give a presentation, my heart would race, I could barely breath and I would turn bright red.  To most people it sounds like a panic attack.  But in my head, I was always saying to myself "gosh, wonder why I'm so red and feel like I'm going to pass out...the feelings and thought processes that I'm having are not such that they warrant this severe physical response."  I never felt any impending doom or anything like that as I've heard people say about panic attacks.  

Anyway, I don't know if I have a mast cell problem but this is interesting for me to think about. I did not consider that I was flushing from a mast cell issue but rather blushing without knowing why!  Maybe this is another clue.
Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print