Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leukotriene inhibitors (Read 7387 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Leukotriene inhibitors
07/14/11 at 16:29:16

Last week my one-year approval for a "non-standard" dose of Singulair (30mg/day) ran out.  Fortunately, my doctor was able to contact my insurance company very quickly and got it re-approved.  However... he mentioned an interesting alternative to me that I wanted to pass on in case it helps somebody else.  Instead of taking 30mg/day of Singulair, he said I could take a standard dose of Singulair plus a standard dose of another leukotriene inhibitor... Zyflo or Accolate.  He did that for another patient whose insurance company wouldn't approve the higher dose of Singulair.  It's an idea I'm keeping in the back of my mind!  I already combine different types of H1/H2 antihistamines... it seems like combining different types of leukotriene inhibitors should be just as safe and effective.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Leukotriene inhibitors
Reply #1 - 07/14/11 at 17:24:19

Great tip!! I copied it and saved it ... Im fighting with my DR now for more than a 10 mg a day dose.. maybe I can work it my way in another way lol.. Thanks for educating me Smiley
love ya
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/15/11 at 18:31:24

Great idea, but do check side effects.  Some have more than Singulair does in a number of patients.

Joan

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 07/16/11 at 09:37:52

I took zyflo for at least 3 years without any side effects that I could see. I recently went back ro singulair because zyflo has a greater level of starch as an inactive ingrediant than singulair. & I'm working on reducing starches & talcs  as much as possible after my reaction to ketitofin. Will know if starch was really the issue of if it was ketitofin, as soon as I can get my doc to script liquid ketitofin.  By the way Heather can now take benedryl in liquid form, but still not the tablets I never did take both singulair & zyflo at same time but see no reason why wouldn't work. singulair works on the symptoms & zyflo works on inhibiting production of leukotrienes. at least that is what i was told by my doc. also liquid tylenol now works where before pills didn't seem to.
mike v

IP Logged

NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/16/11 at 21:05:36

Zyflo, Accolate, and Singulair each do something slightly different from the others. All inhibit, one way or another, the effects of leukotrienes.

Accolate and Singulair block receptors for leukotriene C4 (LTC4), LTD4, and LTE4, and some other inflammatory chemicals in the leukotriene family. Blockage is not complete as not all receptors for these mediators (chemicals) are blocked.
Zyflo blocks the activity of an enzyme (5-lipoxygenase) that produces the leukotriene family of mediators.

So - Zyflo may give better relief of symptoms than the other two, and there should be no problem in combining any of the three. Just be sure you read the side-effect statements and drug interactions on these before you get them filled. Lots of people take them with no problem. Their safety profile is not as good as for the antihistamines, though, and you should be aware of this.

Nancy

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 10:22:57

Do you think there are problems taking Singulair over the long-term?  My son's been on it for a long time.

Joan

IP Logged

NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/17/11 at 12:13:49

Joan, Singulair is intended for long-term use, so your son is probably doing well with it. I know one side-effect is "vivid dreams" although those dreams are usually good ones - long, story-type dreams that are interesting to remember next day.

Here is the side-effect list from the singuliar website:
SINGULAIR may cause serious side effects. Behavior and mood-related changes have been reported: agitation including aggressive behavior or hostility, bad or vivid dreams, depression, disorientation (confusion), feeling anxious, hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there), irritability, restlessness, sleepwalking, suicidal thoughts and actions (including suicide), tremor, and trouble sleeping

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 07/18/11 at 05:33:29

I have singular in my cupboard and I really want to try it but I'm scared of the side effects. I'm already experiencing a lot of irritabilty lately in the past 4 months or so.
I have been having poor symptom control lately. I'm experience hives again second time in the past 2 months and I'm on prednisone again. So dried out from all the antihistamines and wondering......I'm already on so many meds, what else could they possibly give me. I'm aldeay taking just about everything!
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 07/19/11 at 03:57:22

I have not heard of anyone having problems with it. I took it for long while and it really helped me! I have only of heard extremely positive results from people who take it. Everyone is different, or course.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Kate:
Tutor

Reply #9 - 07/19/11 at 10:16:38

Deborah,

Can you take both Claritin and Singulair at the same time?  I have been taking Claritin for several years.  Zyrtec knocks me out and I can't refunction for about 15 hours.  I was considering trying to get my PCP to write me a script to try it.

Thanks,
Kate

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 07/19/11 at 13:34:08

Hi. I am pretty sure that Claritin is just a histamine blocker and histamine blockers can be taken with singulair. I took, zantac, zyrtec, allegra and singulair all at the same time for a year or two. I no longer have the symptom that the singulair was helping with, so i stopped taking it. I take it whenever I am feeling ill, though, and I am not getting enough relief from doubling my allegra or zyrtec.

Have you tried allegra instead of claritin? I just don't have a high opinon of claritin being effective at all. I don't seem to get drowsy from the meds, although I do think that they sap my energy somewhat. I can deal with that, though. I believe that allegra is not supposed to cause drowsiness in people.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #11 - 07/19/11 at 16:44:10

I take both Claritin (20mg/day) and Singulair (30mg/day)... it hasn't been a problem for me.  If you're ever worried about drug interactions there are lots of good checkers out there.  Here's one, for example:

http://www.umm.edu/adam/drug_checker.htm

Since I have a problem with abnormal bleeding (which... after extensive testing... seems to be directly connected to my mast cell disorder) I also add "heparin" to the list when I'm checking out a new drug.  That way I can easily figure out which drugs are blood thinners, even when they're not used specifically for that purpose.  Aspirin, for example, is both a pain reliever and a blood thinner.  Quercetin and turmeric are blood thinners too... I found that out the hard way Huh

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 07/20/11 at 19:03:52

Does anyone know if I can split a singulair in 1/2 to take it for the first time? I have had the samples for several weeks and I'm so scared to take one. I seem to be so sensitive to medications lately and somehow it makes me feel better to start of slow with a smaller amount.

thanks,
Kristi

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #13 - 07/21/11 at 05:27:39

I think it's OK to split Singulair, but why don't you call your local pharmacy?

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 07/21/11 at 09:15:02

I am going to try Singulair again, but had GERD problems when I took it last time (helped otherwise).  I am wondering if the other alternatives mentioned might not cause me to end up with GERD.  I also get GERD with Allegra....eessh, sometimes I feel like I fix one problem and end up another.  Right now taking zyrtec and zantac combo which helps but does not cover all my symptoms when it is so hot outside (worst trigger for me...flushing, then fibro like ache, IC flares, asthma type symptoms, drainage, brain fog)

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print