Send Topic Print
Newbie... (Read 3159 times)
bernettaelliott
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Orlando, Fl
Newbie...
07/02/11 at 08:49:07

Hi, thanks for approving me. I was anxious to read everything on the group. I will write my story soon. I have serious pain in skin in neck and chest and arms. I have addisons and my doctor told me he thought I was having a histimine reaction from unstable cortisiol levels and to eat a histimine diet which I have done before for vulvodynia. He told me to get Zantac which I did because I was in so much pain and he said to take baby asprin and I did for 2 days and then read that asprin was bad for histimine. So for now I am just on the Zantac. I do have some alegra 180 from before for the vulvodynia that I took all the time. I also have Tramado I took for the pelvic pain. I did tons of blood test on Fri. so we will see what happens. I did see a couple of post where someone saw a dr. here in Orlando, fl. Could you please let me know who that is? Thanks so much, Bernetta

bernettaelliott  
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Newbie...
Reply #1 - 07/02/11 at 09:33:13

Hi Bernetta,

I'm sorry you're going through this awful pain!  I don't know about the doc in Orlando, but maybe someone else will jump in.  There is a mast cell researcher named Theo Theoharides, from Tufts, who makes a supplement formula (I'm not selling this, just am a happy user) called Algonot.  He has several other formulas, too, that might address the inflammatory stuff you've been experiencing.  His website is:algonot.com  You can read about the products, but I find algonot to be helpful to me.  It should be taken with food, however.  If you don't want to take the algonot, you might want to try quercetin (1000-1200 mg./day).  Also have with water and food.  It's a bioflavonoid that really helps with inflammation.  Takes 4-6 months to see a difference, but it's been very helpful to me.

If you want to post your medication dosages, people will be able to see if you're on enough meds to have an effect.

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/02/11 at 16:08:46

Joan, I went to look at the Algonot, and see it is sulfated. I thought sulfates were a big problem for most people with Masto. Is there a reason why this product is OK? I read some of the info, but not all of his studies.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/02/11 at 16:20:06

Hi Susan,

Others will have to answer definitively about the sulfates.  I don't seem to have a problem with it.  My understanding is that it's sulfites that cause a problem for some people (I'm not one of those), but there may be some who have trouble with sulfates, too.  Algonot also includes components derived from shellfish, which could be problematic.  I would guess that sulfate might be a problem for some, but not all people with masto.

If you have any doubts whether it will trigger you, another approach would be to try Quercetin alone, starting at a low dosage and working up to 1200 mg. a day, all taken with water and food.  I know others who only take quercetin and have had great results from that.  That's how I started, too.  The amazing thing for me is that I did have a great reduction in inflammation and found that I could do things physically that I haven't been able to do in 4 or 5 years.  I worked in my garden for 6 hours on a very hot, sunny day and had no effects or after-effects, a virtual miracle!  Do talk with your doctor before you try anything new.  Sometimes they'll let you come in and try something in the office.  I've been known to go to the ER and try a new medicine in the waiting room.  I stay for a little more than an hour (without checking in) and then go home if nothing happens!  Not recommending that, however!

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/02/11 at 16:34:31

I think I am OK with sulfates. I use magnesium sulfate injections, and can tolerate Septra and Bactrim, so they don't seem to be a problem for me. I am still just trying to figure things out. I never seem to be able to get the difference between sulfites and sulfates.

I have a couple of new meds to try from my recent doctor's appointment, so I will probably wait before I add anything else on, but I have the site bookmarked so I can go back and look. It seems like it is all so much trial and error. The symptoms that Algonot is supposed to help with are things I need to address, so will be considering it. Thanks for your ideas!

Susan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/02/11 at 17:00:32

That's because it IS trial and error!  People with MCAD/MCAS are similar, but not the same.  Still, it is believed to be an inflammatory process and anti-inflammatories do help a lot of people.

If you find a med that works or helps, do let us know!

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/04/11 at 14:23:19

Thanks, Joan! You are always so generous with your knowledge.

Susan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print