Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coolest sheets (Read 3013 times)
starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Coolest sheets
07/01/11 at 16:09:28

Has anyone found sheets to keep you cool all night long? A mattress with foam makes my skin feel like it will explode. My skin feels cool to the touch, but to me feels like it's on fire! Any recommendations?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Coolest sheets
Reply #1 - 07/02/11 at 09:42:27

I know what you mean.  Sometimes I feel as though I must have a hot coal inside that's heating me from the inside out.  I prefer the crisp, tightly woven percale.  They're a little coarser than the high count sateen, but I do like them better in the summer for coolness.  If you Google "cooling bed sheets," there are a lot of sites that claim to have something.  Some of the new fibers might help.

I also saw "undersheet" fans!  And, there were water-cooled mattress pads, as well as other products.  Dri-release moisture wicking sheets sounded promising.  Let us know what you find that works!

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/04/11 at 14:28:08

Couple things you could look into:

I have a wool bed pad that amazingly, keeps me warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer. Mine is several inches thick, but you might do with a thinner pad. Wool is an excellent insulator. Those foam beds just hold the heat, and have no way to dissipate it.

If you can afford it, linen are wonderfully cool sheets. It absorbs moisture better than cotton, and MUCH better than anything synthetic. A combo of a nice wool pad and fine linen sheets would be heavenly! I don't have the linen sheets, but I just LOVE to wear linen in the summer, in spite of the wrinkles.

I hope you find something to help you sleep! Not sleeping well is the pits.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/06/11 at 13:02:53

my sheets are the brand name of hotel brand it makes a difference and I sleep with a fan blowing on my head and above me and at the bottom of the bed three fans and I am still on fire I also use something called a chillow you can find it on the internet I use it anytime I am on fire and it cools me down, i love it , it does not cool long but does the job.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 07/06/11 at 13:32:42

On my hottest nights, even with the AC going, I've had to grab a towel, wet it, wring it out and drape it over me with the ceiling fan going.  I've also had to wake in the middle of the night and take extra antihistamines.  

Sometimes you just must take these extra steps because like it or not, either we can't afford those nice extras or we can't get them.  So then what do we do?   A thin cotton beach towel, or even bath towel will do miracles due to the moisture in it.  The towel will not get to the point that it drenches everything for you should wring it out enough that it's only moist but not dripping.  Yet, due to the heat and the heat of your body, the water will eventually evaporate over the night, but it will keep your core temperature down better than anything else.  Those sheets and even the foam you are laying on top of won't bother you so much for the other half of you will be kept very comfortable and even you will find that you will wake up feeling cold by the morning.  

I know it sounds wild, gang, but IT WORKS!  This past summer I didn't have to resort to this much for we bought a new airconditioner, but the summer before was HORRENDOUS for in the midst of our 100+ temps of that summer the AC died and I was waking up in the middle of the nights that I didn't use the towel with my stomach churning and in a flush.  That cool moist towel saved me without a doubt!!   Remember, I live in Brazil, a tropical country and our homes do not have central AC - if we have AC, most of us have only window units, so I've learned some very necessary survival tactics to deal with the heat.  

So, even if you don't really like the idea, if you are in a place where you can't find these niceties, and if you can't lower the AC to where it best suits you, then try taking a thin, cotton towel and try my trick out for a few nights just to see if it works for you.  

You may find, like I did, that it is the only way to get a decent night's sleep on a hot, muggy night.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/06/11 at 21:41:50

I am fortunate to have AC cranked...my problem is really just my skin against the mattress. I found these"cooling" pillows at JC Penny, and they ended up hotter than my regular pillow ha!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print