Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can antibiotics HELP to stabilize mast cells? (Read 9849 times)
juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Can antibiotics HELP to stabilize mast cells?
06/29/11 at 12:55:40

I'm curious as to whether there's been any research on whether or not antibiotics can HELP to stabilize mast cells. I recall a study, but may be wrong...

I've been taking 250 mg of doxycycline daily for rosecea. The benefits have gone far beyond my skin & I've been hesitant to stop taking them even though my skin is quite clear.  My overall health seems to have benefitted. Since I've started therapy, my pain has lessened and my overall endurance and stability have increased. Because doxycycline causes photosensitivity, I've been trying to take them every other day with the intention of stopping therapy. My MCAD symptoms have been out of control. My throat is actually swelling up especially when I'm exposed to any stress. What's the deal? I've been taking extra zyrtec & atarx which has helped. Could lowering my doxycycline dose be making my MCAD worse?

Thanks for any help-

Julie
MCAD in GA

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Can antibiotics HELP to stabilize mast cells?
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 00:20:38

I supposedly have rosacea and I tried doxy as well. I triggered from it, so I was switched to Oracea.  It is the same thing as Doxy but without the antibiotic part. It is great. I have no triggering from it and my skin looked great. For some reason my skin looks fine now, so I rarely need to take it anymore. If I flare up and develop any postules (bumps that look like pimples but are not), then I take Oracea for a couple days and my skin is fine.  

Just wanted to share this info with you in case the doxy ever bothers you.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 07/01/11 at 01:02:14

Hi Julie,

There has been a bit of study on this, but not much.  There is perhaps ONE antihistamine which does contribute to stabilizing mast cells, but the contribution is rather insignificant which is why they don't really give much value to the antihistamines as for it's function for MC stabilization.  

If they contribute, then their contribution is indirect in that they help to keep us stable and not react so much.  By not triggering so much, then it helps to give you that stability, but the moment you diminish your antihistamines then because your MCs are still just as instable, you're going to react. So, the stability is a false stability.  It's like having the faucet on the barrel opened up wide to compensate for the flood coming into the barrel.  You've not stopped the flood, you've only compensated for it and as long as you can continue compensating for the flood, you won't have any mess to have to clean up, but the moment you can't compensate, or the flood increases, then you've got problems.  

Mast cell stabilizers work on the flood - or, the input factor and not the output.  Antihistamines deal with the output, or the flow leaving the barrel, but MC stabilizers help to regulate the input, or the flow going into the barrel, and they bring stability by diminishing the amount of flow that goes into the barrel and thus brings stability to the overall situation.  So, when there is more activity which increases the influx, the barrel is not so very full so we're able to use our antihistamines to compensate and deal with the situation.  

I'm on Ketotifen.  It's an excellent MC stabilizer and it has indeed helped improve my situation.  Last year we took my dosage from 2mg up to 6 mg and added singulair to my regimen as well.  I went from shocking once a week to now shocking perhaps once every 2 months or more!  I'm finally beginning to feel NORMAL!!   It's GREAT!   I'm certain that the Ketotifen is a major player!

I hope this helps you!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/03/11 at 07:53:43

Thank you both for your responses! My rosecea, thankfully, is fairly clear now too- but I've continued the doxycycline because it helps me feel better. Not sure why...

I was wrong about the dosage I'm taking- only 50 mg a day- not 250! I did start with Oracea & had great benefit from it, but gave up on it as my insurance co. didn't cover it. From what I understand. Oracea (40 mg) is indeed an antibiotic- it is doxycycline-just a slightly lower dose than the generic capsules. Deb, maybe you reacted to something in the filler?

Lisa- thank you for that great explanation of how doxy could potentially be beneficial. I did come across this study that also helps explain it: http://mastocytosis.posterous.com/non-antibiotic-properties-of-tetracyclines-as

I also wonder if the doxy is helping me in some other way by helping to prevent the mechanism that has caused the multiple aneurysms & dissections that other family members have experienced.  I've recently learned that doxy is regularly used to PREVENT vascular ruptures in patients that are prone. I know this will be of interest to you too, Lisa.

Thanks again for your input and help-

Julie

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/03/11 at 08:59:15

I also take doxy daily for years now. Pre masto days when the urologist couldn't figure out my bladder problems....but was aware the doxy helped,  agreed it was ok to take daily. I just never stopped. But you are right I feel better when I take it. I have tried at times to stop, just hate taking so many meds....but feel better on it.

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 07/04/11 at 13:56:23

Tetracyclines (doxycycline, minocycline, and tetracycline) have been found to have a number of properties other than killing bacteria. There are good studies now showing that minocycline in particular helps to prevent dementia
( http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v32/n11/abs/1301377a.html )
( http://nro.sagepub.com/content/11/4/308.abstract ),
aids in repair of cartilage
( http://woa-assn.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=25#2 ),
and has even been found to prevent deterioration in spinal cord injury patients
( http://neuro.cjb.net/content/24/9/2182.full ).
It hasn't been found yet exactly HOW it is doing this. Some doctors suspect that it  somehow modulates the immune system.

I have found minocycline helps with inflammation and swelling I tend to have in my sinuses, face, and knees, so I have been taking 100 mg a day for some time, with just occasional breaks. I had to go off for six weeks to have some testing, and all the symptoms slowly increased. During the time I was off I had my first anaphylactic episode.

I had a trans cranial doppler recently, and the tech told me that my cranial arteries were "weirdly clear" of plaques. Most people develop some plaque as they age, but I have none! They are finding out plaques may possibly be caused by low grade infection and inflammation that hides under the plaque to be protected from the immune system. I am wondering whether my long term treatment with antibiotics might be why my arteries are so clear. There is so much to learn still about how the body works, and the impact treatment has.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 07/05/11 at 01:41:09

Tetracycline is also a known trigger for lupus.  I tried it as a teenager (for acne)... big mistake.  IMO, if autoimmune disorders run in your family, it's not a good idea to use this class of antibiotics.

Just my two cents.  I'm sure for other people they can be very useful.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/05/11 at 04:34:52

I was put on a course of doxycycline when they thought I might have late stage Lyme disease.   I had an anaphylactic reaction from it, so can no longer take it.  

I think that antibiotics have made me feel better.  My thought is that, if I have a low-grade infection, it stirs up my mast cells, and getting rid of it calms them back down again.  But that's only a theory.  Usually they prescribe azithromycin, and so far (knock on wood!), it's worked.  Still, I try not to take them very often, because I've already reacted to two.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print