Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre Meds and Prednisone (Read 2179 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Pre Meds and Prednisone
06/28/11 at 11:02:40

Hello,

I am having an endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow to check for mast cell infiltration in the gi.

The docs here use the 13-7-1 hr  prednisone (50 mg each time), pre- sedation anesthesia, 50 mg Benedryl 1 hr. before.  I also have to take a WHOLE LOTTA PEG to make me squeaky clean.

Anybody else ever done this protocol?  I will be one doped up pup!

IP Logged

nevermiss
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Pre Meds and Prednisone
Reply #1 - 06/28/11 at 14:06:58

I am having a colonoscopy in the next few weeks.  Dr. Akin has me taking 50 mg of Benedryl one hour before.

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/28/11 at 14:13:58

That is what I used to take too.  I think they are being really cautious here.  I was shocking out a bit this spring.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/28/11 at 18:16:58

I also take an H2 antihistamine (Zantac 150 mg. or Pepcid 40 mg.) the night before and an hour before any procedure.  I've had several colonoscopies/endoscopies.  The prep was the worst part.  Good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/29/11 at 07:34:03

Glad to report everything went o.k.!  Yes, the prep was no fun! The 13-7-1 protocol is the one that the American College of Radiology recommends for preventing reactions to contrast dyes.  This was just published in 2010 in their guideline book.

Here's the link:
http://www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/quality_safety/contrast_manual/Fu...

Tolerated everything all right.  Everything looks normal so far and they took some biopsies.  Will get results in a couple of weeks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print