Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nickel allergy, Kounis syndrome and intracardiac metal devices (Read 2410 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Nickel allergy, Kounis syndrome and intracardiac metal devices
06/26/11 at 07:35:34

Int J Cardiol. 2010 Nov 19;145(2):364-5. Epub 2010 Mar 6.

Nickel allergy, Kounis syndrome and intracardiac metal devices.

Almpanis GC, Tsigkas GG, Koutsojannis C, Mazarakis A, Kounis GN, Kounis NG.
Abstract

Metal-induced allergic reactions are not rare in every day practice but nickel, cobalt and chromium are the most common offenders. Other metal anions and metal alloys represent also emerging causes for hypersensitivity reaction in humans. The metal struts of endovascular and intracardiac devices are usually alloys containing nickel and constitute causes for allergic reactions with possible intracardiac and intracoronary mast cell activation resulting in the Kounis hypersensitivity coronary syndrome. Newer intracoronary stents avoid nickel thus making them less allergenic. It is advisable that, before any device implantation, careful history of any metal allergy should be taken and efforts should be made for the development of new devices with better biocompatibility.

Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20207036

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Nickel allergy, Kounis syndrome and intracardiac metal devices
Reply #1 - 06/26/11 at 10:37:46

I will have to send this to my cardiologist. He wants me to have a patch put on my heart, as the opening between the ventricles is shunting blood. When I found out the patch has a nickel-titanium framework, I refused the surgery. I can't believe they don't have any other option, given how many people are allergic to nickel.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print