Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TENS Electrode Pads (Read 7700 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

TENS Electrode Pads
06/16/11 at 05:10:23

I sometimes use a TENS unit to help with either the lower back pain from the IC or on my hip where I get a muscle knot from the muscle pain.  The TENS can be really really helpful for localized pain that pain meds just can't cover.  My problem is, I can only wear the electrode pads maybe an hour or two at a time or I get a red itchy reaction whelp perfectly shaped to that of the electrode pads..these spots can last for days (wouldn't ya know Angry).  Has anyyone used a TENS and found electrode pads that are hypoallergenic?  I guess I need to go shopping.  Anyone found anything?

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: TENS Electrode Pads
Reply #1 - 06/16/11 at 05:25:11

I cant use it either. I dont think its an allergy problem (for me at least) with the pads, its that mast cells are quickly activated by anything that happens with our skin... like electric current. Sorry Hon. It may be different for you. Try to call your Dr about changing the type of pads?? But you may just be irritating your circulation under the skin enough to provoke a reaction.
Hope you feel better
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/16/11 at 06:05:28

Mmmm sounds much like my situation.  I am going to see about hypoallergic ones...just to try.  I was also wondering if putting a bit of dye free benedryl under the TENS pad might help...will see.  The TENS can be a real lifesaver sometimes, so I hate to abandon it.

"A joyful heart is good medicine"

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 06/16/11 at 06:21:59

Have you reacted to other adhesives?  I get those splotches from band-aids... even the kind that don't have latex.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/16/11 at 06:29:07

Starflower

Yep sometimes, it depends on how long the bandage stays on there.  I also sometimes get reactions to jewelry, dryer sheets (even the free and clear kind) because my clothes rub the stuff off onto my skin.  I do just sometimes get random rashes on my neck and upper body.  Once I had exercised induced hives on my leg...urrrg and am allergic to a certain antibiotic (cephalaxin sp???).    

On a more fun note:
Are you a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show?  The lead singer's dad used to be my daughter's principal (which of course kinda freaks her out as does most everything since she is a teenager..haha!)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 06/16/11 at 06:38:41

I'm wondering if you could try some alternative way of attaching the TENS pads that don't use adhesive... like maybe cloth tape?  It doesn't last as long, but it shouldn't bother your skin so much.  I have really sensitive skin too.

I haven't followed Old Crow Medicine Show too closely, but I do LOVE the song in my signature... it's very special to me Smiley  Thanks for sharing that connection you have!

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 06/16/11 at 06:53:30

Mmm, can you get the electrodes that don't have gel?  I may have to check into that.  I did just find some supposedly "hypoallerg" ones on the net so I may order a single set just to see if they would even work.  One option I guess I can try too, is moving the pads around evey hour or so, which I know wears them out sooner, but better than having whelps....oh yeah and the benedryl idea...dye free benedryl gel caps are my little magic bullets, cause you can break them open and put the liquid directly on the skin.  I always have a supply due to my weird skin reactions.  May fiddle with that too.

Yep kind of a small world sometimes!!   Grin

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/16/11 at 22:23:53

Bandaids can also have something derived from lanolin. My son reacts to some, and has a lanolin allergy, I'm assuming that's the connection for him.

I wonder if the home-made skin cream idea using some sodium cromoglycate mixed into it would help with the reaction.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 06/17/11 at 01:58:03

Might try that too...I don't have a gastrocrom perscrip, but wonder if I could use the nose spray (I mean just to rub on my skin...not orally!) Mmmm, may get some at the drugstore and see if it helps.  I tried cortisone ointment last night, but it makes the pads not stick.  However, the spray would be much lighter and might actually work.

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/19/11 at 20:14:30

Hi! I use microcurrent, so it may be a little different than TENS, but I have a couple of things that you can check into.

I have some gloves that attach to the wires that are supposed to be used by a therapist. Not the cloth ones being sold to patients, these are some kind of black graphite that conducts the current. You can wrap these gloves in wet towels, and wrap the towels around body parts to conduct the current.

I also like to take a bath, and I drop the lead wires into the water. Microcurrent runs on 9 volt batteries, so I am not going to electrocute myself. The wet towels and the bath water both conduct a lot more current than my body could otherwise tolerate.

I've been trying out using a foot bath, with either one sticky pad, or a wet towel. It works pretty well, and is more easily available than a bath.

None of these are great solutions for using the TENS while active. I'm still looking for something that works for that. I have been tempted to try some of the conductive garments out there, but am hearing very mixed reviews, so hate to spend the money till I hear better things.

The sticky pads I do use are the EMPI StimCare Premium Electrodes. I still get some itching, and worse the longer I wear them, but sometimes the relief is worth the rash.

If you find something that really works, I would love to hear about it!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 06/20/11 at 06:55:18

Wow, you have done some interesting things with current!  I will let you know...will be experimenting in the next couple of weeks (mmm kinda sound like Frankenstein with all my electric current Cheesy).  My first tries will be the nasalcrom sprayed beneath the pads and also ordering "hypoallergenic" pads.  There are some really, really small units out there now I'd like to order that would be great for work if I can just get past this electrode issue.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Warning about Topical Benadryl
Reply #11 - 06/20/11 at 09:18:23

There is research showing that Benadryl applied on the skin can cause people to become allergic to ORAL Benadryl.  So be careful, especially if you need Benadryl as a rescue medicine, not to put it on topically.  That includes all anti-itch creams that contain diphenhydramine.  I don't know if it applies to other anti-histamines used in creams or sprays, but I would guess so.

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 06/20/11 at 20:05:06

I trained in Frequency Specific Microcurrent, and the office where I work has a lot of practitioners, so I get all the inside tips. I just haven't found the perfect answer to using it while active.

You know that you can add liquid to the electrode pads? Most of them dry out, so you add drops of water to revive them. It should be easy to apply the solutions, it will just be a matter of how well it is absorbed by the skin. Also, what Joan is saying is of concern.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 06/21/11 at 02:49:06

I had no idea about the benedryl thing.  I do use it topically sometimes.  I don't use it too often orally as it makes me kinda wired and my heart races.  Last night I stupidly ate something with MSG not realizing (flavored chips=no no).  But taking a Zyrtec and a Zantac helped calm down the mess I had made...errrg! Today, at work, I feel like someone dragged me through something.

I am wondering if the cream should be a cortizone rather than an antihistamine then...ahh, too many twists and turns.  Yes, I have wet the electrodes before.  This makes me think the nasal cromolyn spray would work as the liquid.  Think I am gonna give that a go first...oh, and no more flavored chips for me.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #14 - 06/21/11 at 02:59:21

How would using topical Benadryl be any more likely to cause an allergy than taking oral Benadryl?  As I understand it, the only danger with the topical form is that you can overdose if you're using both topical and oral at the same time since the topical is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream (there's a warning on the box about it).  Even so... I think you'd have to use a LOT of Benadryl to overdose!

Personally, I'd be more worried about cortisone cream... using too much too often can permanently damage your skin.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print