Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Osteochondroma (bony tumor) (Read 1272 times)
juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Osteochondroma (bony tumor)
06/10/11 at 01:41:09

Hi All-

Are bony tumors associated with mast cell disorders? I am DXed with MCAD and have just been DXed with existosis on the top of my foot. It looks like 2-3 of golf balls have started growing on the top of my foot. They are hard & not painful.

I have heard that bone changes DO occur in mast cell disorders. The literature is full of information about steopenia/osteoporosis, BUT I thought excess bone was also indicative of mast cell disorders. Am I right? Does anyone have a link to a study?

Thanks!
Julie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Osteochondroma (bony tumor)
Reply #1 - 06/10/11 at 11:49:26

Hi Julie Smiley
I know osteoporosis is associated with masto but I havent heard of bony growths being associated with it. I dont know of a study like that but I will keep my eyes open for it, I surf NIH websites a lot so who knows. I hope you feel better soon.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Osteochondroma (bony tumor)
Reply #2 - 06/11/11 at 15:16:41

Thanks for keeping an eye out, Ramona. I appreciate it. I've been perusing the literature & found out that in addition to osteoporosis, osteosclerosis (a densening of bone) IS related to mast cell disorders http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteosclerosis  Now, whether or not, my bony tumor falls into the osteosclerosis category remains to be seen. I'll wait and see what the orthopedic has to say.

Thanks again-

Julie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print