Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prescription Pancreaze (Read 5796 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Prescription Pancreaze
06/09/11 at 13:10:08

So I just picked up two new meds. Prednisone because I have hives and I'm itchy like H! I was prescribed pancreatic enzymes from my gastro doctor. I was asking him about the steatorrea and how embarrassing it is and how I did take some digestive enzymes before and I think they might have helped but they are so spendy. He said I probably have a little bit of pancreatic insufficiency and it could be causing some malabsorbtion. He said he would prescribe my something and it would be better than the supplements. I went and picked it up. 350 dollars without insurance, I have insurance but I still have to pay 40 bucks. But between the cromoyln costing me 40 and I will be starting singular soon and thats going to be 65.00 and this doesn't include the 4 other meds I have to take. I'm thinking of stopping cromolyn because I'm not so sure it's helping anymore. When I first tried it, I thought it was helping me breath better but now I'm not so sure. My new allergist says he really only prescribes it for asthma patients. I have also heard some other doctors say it works well in test tubes but not that well in humans. My allergist suggested I could start singular and then after a few weeks wean myself off of the Cromolyn. I'm thinking should I try it or not. I'm scared I will stop it and then I will get a bunch more spots. But honestly I have gotten a few more spots since I started it and my stomach hasn't been good for almost two months. Has any of you out there stopped cromolyn and had a good experience with it or did you get worse? I'm kind of nervous to take this new med called Pancreaze, It had some not so nice side effects.
I'm so sick of feeling crappy this is day 3 of hives and flushing and I have been taking extra hydroxyzine, zyrtec, liquid benadryl. I hope this stops soon. Hope the prednisone kicks in soon.
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Prescription Pancreaze
Reply #1 - 06/10/11 at 12:08:56

The Prednisone WILL kick in and youll feel so much better (and eat like an elephant) --but thats temporary and we need a battle plan for you once you come off of it.

Are you on Zantac? I take 300 mg twice a day, most of us do, I would be in DEEP trouble with out it--you know what I mean LOL. If you cant take Zantac then go for Pepcid. (Zantac us better) I would take Prilosec for 1 month then back off ot when needed for heartburn. Remember the stomach is the largest organ holding circulation and the act of eating can set off mast cells in the stomach so lets calm your tummy wayyyy down for awhile. NO reactions.

Hon I would NOT come off the GastroCrom. The people giving you advice to do it are not masto experts, see? You will feel even worse if you do. It takes a few months to really feel better on it. You need that Singulair too. The med I would questions is that new pancrease med.  You can pickup simple gastric natural meds fairly cheap, like bromelain (Joan is expert on these, I hope she answers here).

I would add Quercetin once a day. I buy it online fairly cheap. One bottle lasts for 3 moths since it is only 1 time a day. Its a natural bioflavanoid that calms mast cells too.

Hope you feel better soon!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 06/10/11 at 19:28:03

Hi Melissa,

Have you tried bromelain?  I use it to help with digesting fat and protein.  I use a dosage of 2000-2400 GDUs, 1/2 hour before meals, and prefer the Blue Bonnet or Country Life brands.  It helps with digestion a lot.  It's made from pineapple stems, so you have to make sure before you take it whether you react from pineapple.  I also take sublingual B12, vitamin C, and some other vitamins/minerals, and they help me feel better.

Hope you can find one of the "cheap" meds that works for you!

Joan

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 06/11/11 at 03:29:26

Ramona, As to the cromoyln ....one of this reasons I thinking about stopping it because my stomach is not doing well the past 2 months or so. I have had a lot of diarrhea, reflux, heartburn, gastris. Since I started prilosec the heartburn is way better. My stomach even starts hurting in the morning when I take my pills on an emty stomach with a large glass of water. Water? Are you kidding. The gastro doc wants me to do that test where I swallow a pill and it takes a million pictures, but I just can't afford that with my large decuctible. I do take 300mg of zantac. So anyway my thought was wasntr the cromoyln supposed to really help with stomach issues because it isn't.
This is day 3 of prednisone and it still itches and they hives are still there. I 'm supposed to do 20mg twice daily for 3 days and then 20 once a day for 3 but. I'm not noticing anything. What should I do? What else can I take? The hives are only on my arms but the itchy is everywhere. Kind of like someone it poking me with a needle, I itch it and then a few seconds later it itches somewhere else. But My arms constanly itch.

Joan, I have taken bromelain, not by itself it is in one of the digestive supplements I used to buy. What brand of sublingual b12 do you take?
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 06/11/11 at 06:58:42

20 mg at a time isnt enough to pull you out of a big reaction--but 40 should have done it--unless this reaction is bigger than you knew OR you are actively itching your skin (it can cause more mediator release and become a viscious circle of reaction. First, do NOT itch even though its driving you nuts, it will be worse if you do. Get a lotion that you dont react to and when you want to itch, gently smooth the lotion on your skin (replace a bad habit with one that wont hurt you, to take your mind off of it).

Next call your Doctor. Youre gonna need another round of cortisone, explain to him whats happening. It would be my suggestion to take the cortisone in the AM one dose a day--because if you dont, it will cause insomnia and you dont want to be sitting up at night itching.  Also remember whatever dose he gives you to ask him about tapering you off of it by 5 to 10 mg a day (after being on it over 5 days). A 20 mg decrease is too quick (unless you have been on it 5 days or less then its ok).

One more suggestion Hon, do you have anything for your nerves? Now is the time to use it if you do, or to ask your Doctor for it if you dont have anything. Taking a xanax and watching a funny movie helps tremendously--you MUST take your mind off of it to heal and stop itching. It will also help you sleep at night--when you are going through a reaction. Debbie taught me that Smiley  Chill out to heal!  

Joan can tell you about some other natural products for your tummy. She is a wealth of knowledge Smiley

Hugs to you and let us know how you do,
Ramona

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 06/13/11 at 04:33:46

Ramona, I was supposed to do 20mg of prednisone twice daily for 3 days and then once daily for 3 days. I agree with you that wasn't long enough. I stayed taking it twice daily and I will get a refill and call them and see what they say. As far as the anxiety thing. I have had doctors hint around to anxiety being a problem but no one ever prescribed anything. Even if they did, I would be leary of taking it because of all the other meds I take. The combination of the hydroxyzine and fibro meds plus zanax, that one scares me. Do you think that is safe?
Melissa

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #6 - 06/13/11 at 05:19:03

missy:
I'm jumping to say that, I take zrytec, with tramadol, gastrocom & valium at night without any problem except sometimes I'm a little spaced when I wake up, but I think the hydrox is an older type than
zrytec & as I remember a little tiring. I still think the zantac or in my case valium is an important med for me at night when my chronic skin pain is the worst. May be if you could put the hydrox at a different time, the other situation is the liquid benedryl at the same time.  For me if you have fibro, you have pain at bedtime & an anti anxiety med at night would helps me but you have already a lot of drowzy type meds at same time.
mikev
mikev

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 06/13/11 at 08:55:17

Mike-Thanks for sharing. The only time I think I need the zanax is if I'm upset/stressed and can't get a hold on it. Because then I start flushing and itching. But my fibro pain is more when I wake up in the morning, I'm really stiff and my hands hurt. The hydroxyzine.....I like taking it at night because it helps me not wake up, I had a problem with frequent waking.
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #8 - 06/13/11 at 11:36:05

Mike has some great advice!
I take the Vistaril (hydroxyzine.) twice a day because it also helps my brain fog (calms mast cells in the brain) and helps my IC bladder spasms. Xanax isnt going to hurt you Hon, you get it as low as a .5 mg pill and you can still break that into half if you want. Chilling out is important when youre reacting--or it wont stop.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 06/13/11 at 11:44:29

Okay, I guess I will ask for some next time.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print