Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Had to hold off purchasing my meds (Read 6129 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Had to hold off purchasing my meds
06/09/11 at 02:23:17

Well, i have fallen into the problem of being unable to go pick up my meds due to lack of fund because they are too expensive and we don't have the $ to buy them right now. Do you know how irritating that is???!!!! Not just irritating, but in some situations, it could be dangerous. I can't imagine being unable to get my meds on a longterm  basis -- I would be so sick it would be unreal (as I am a shocker).

(Don't worry about me, I always stockpile my meds so that I have extras. The only one I will fall short of is prescription zantac, but I can buy a couple of the pills from the prescription until my credit card rolls over on 6/15 and I can use it again to buy the whole prescription.)

It is just maddening that these things are so expensive and we are forced to make choices -- save the $ to care for the kids or use it on meds for me. Without my stockpile of meds, I would be in trouble! This just borders on the larger problems for so many people. Wish there was something we could advocate for to change....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Had to hold off purchasing my meds
Reply #1 - 06/09/11 at 09:44:30

Been there, done that, and still do at times!!!!

You are so right, Deb about it being dangerous for us!!  I've had it where my husband said we couldn't buy my meds and I had to make what I had stretch.  I got to the point I was out of singulair and the lack of it made me vulnerable and I had an attack due to not having it.  My dermatologist was who pinpointed the lack of it as the motive for the attack!  

So, you are right, this is a very difficult situation for us, for so much of our stability depends upon the balance of our medical regimine and in going off of that mixture can indeed cause us trouble.

So, while you are in this tight spot, what can you do.  AVOID TRIGGERS MORE VIGOROUSLY and also KEEP A VERY LOW PROFILE!  

So much of what will get us into trouble is that of being physically active or in situations of extreme temperatures and since you are into summer, it means keeping out of the heat!

So, stay at home as much as possible, avoid any kind of stressful behavior and be careful with your foods.  This may help to keep you out of trouble.  

I hope things improve!!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 06/09/11 at 11:49:23

Oh gosh, if you only knew the new stress that appeared today. LOL. It is so ridiculous that I need to have a pity party for myself! And to imagine that just today I told my dad that everyone can always find the bright spot about something. Guess I better start looking!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 06/09/11 at 12:36:37

I so understand, just picked up a new med that was expensive. Can you take over the counter zantac? I could mail you some if you can take it.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 06/09/11 at 12:55:52

Deb, it doesn't take much to find that bright spot!  The fact that you are alive today to enjoy the day is indeed a bright spot!  The fact that you are well enough to help others climb out of the pitt is another.  The fact that you could even talk with your father is yet another!   Can I keep digging?  

As Ramona says, count your blessings for without a doubt, those children of yours are one of those major blessings so you can start with them!

Love ya!  Sure with I could help lighten the load!

Lisa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 06/09/11 at 14:08:53

Missy, that is so kind of you. I can purchase a few Zantac from my prescription, though, and I can use my credit card in 6 days. You are too sweet!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 06/09/11 at 14:09:56

Awww, thanks Lisa!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 06/10/11 at 12:13:12

hey Debbie!
That could be dangerous is right--especially for newly diagnosed people, they often fall in between the cracks of insurance and disability.

PLEASE remember that anything you can buy over-the-counter is usually covered at Walmarts for 4$ a bottle.. Call them and see. There is a list of meds online that it covers (walmart.com)
Thinking of you MUCH Debbie and love you!!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 06/10/11 at 14:33:04

Thanks Ramona! Generic and I don't get along so well. The over the counter Zantac is a bit different (inactive ingredients), and I hesitate to try it. I might someday....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 06/11/11 at 03:34:11

Debbie, you got me thinking about the over the counter zantac. I used to be a prescription for it and then I bought the cosctco brand, seemed to work fine. Then I bought the walmart brand, around the same time I started that is when my hives started. Hummmm? Did the OTC zantac not work as well or did some of the ingredients trigger you?
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #10 - 06/11/11 at 07:03:14

My pharmacy buys whatever med is cheapest. Recently they replaced my usual Zantac (orange brown color) with an oblong yellow tab... it didnt help me one bit, my tummy was so upset. Now I have it on my records at the pharmacy, only orange/brown color zantac brand. They worked with me and it helped!  In the meantime, I bought over the counter Zantac and did ok.. but you and I may have bought different types--try replacing that zantac with a different zantac.. an otc from another drug store OR your usual pharmacy. Hope you feel better soon!
Ramona

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 06/12/11 at 01:01:52

When zantac went over the counter, I called the actual company that would be maunfacturing the new, OTC zantac. After explaining to them that I react strangely to things and go into anaphylaxis, they told me to NOT take their product because they had changed the inactive ingredients. So, I have never tried any OTC zantac. The prescription zantac works amazingly for me.

I do plan to try an OTC zantac sometime soon just to see what happens. I had no idea that there were different types of OTC zantac, though. Interesting.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 06/12/11 at 01:05:44

Update:

I called my pharmacist and explained to him that due to costs, I would like to purchase 10 prescription zantac pills now and come back next week with my credit card that would then be empty and purchase the rest. He said that was fine.

My husband got there to buy them yesterday, and the pharmacist didn't even charge him, telling him that he can just purchase the whole thing next week when we get teh rest of the prescription. How sweet! That is the reason I always go to this pharmacist -- he takes a personal interest in clients and always makes extra effort to help out. What a nice guy!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #13 - 06/12/11 at 03:43:24

Isnt it great when people step out of the shadows to prove the human race still is a good one? Kudos for that pharmacist, he is one angel in disguise!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 06/12/11 at 14:48:56

That is how you KEEP a customer!!!!!!!!!!   Good for him!!  He's a definite keeper Deb!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print