Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My strangest symptom! (Read 3251 times)
fuchsia1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

My strangest symptom!
06/05/11 at 10:30:17

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has even heard of this and especially if anyone else experiences it.  I will sometimes feel as if my throat is full and/or congested.  Often in late afternoon a couple years ago, it would be quite uncomfortable.  It is still noticeable even taking several antihistamine medications when I go up elevations like a mountain passes. Feels like congested ears only it is in the throat. Obviously flying is not fun for me!  

No doctor has ever heard of it and after raised eyebrows and being asked if I imagine it, I am hesitant to even mention "it".

Thanks for all comments, Marie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: My strangest symptom!
Reply #1 - 06/05/11 at 14:45:44

Hi Marie.
Ive had it too but I always found a reason for it after looking. It may have taken me awhile to find the reason but I did. I had that reaction when I took a med that had guifessin in it--that makes you make more liquid within the lungs (cough syrup). My antihistamines were drying it out (to make it thick) before I could cough it up. Once I stopped it, the symtpom went away.

I also had that symptom when someones cologne affected me and again when someone (unknowingly) had sprayed a chemical on a rose near me. I would look for something that is triggering you in your immediate environment. I bet you will find it and that symptom will stop Smiley
Hope this helps!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

fuchsia1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/06/11 at 01:48:35

Thanks, Ramona.  I have never thought of what could set it off other than a change in elevation, but then I have had it when I was at home.  It does not seem to happen as much now that I am taking ranintidine, so assumed it was related to allergies somehow.

Anyone ever heard a name for "it"?  Haven't been able to find a condition similar by searching for full throat with elevation change on the internet.

Marie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 06/06/11 at 02:26:08

I think its just a type of reaction, Ive never heard of a word just for it.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

fuchsia1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/07/11 at 03:35:51

Thanks again, Ramona.  I checked my medications and don't find the one you mentioned, but then who knows what other one may have that effect on me.  I do try to get single ingredient cold medications, etc. so I can try to figure out origins of reactions a little easier.  Keeps me busy reading labels at the store!

Marie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 06/07/11 at 05:32:50

I know how that is! LOL.. we are so sensitive to so many things... Look for your environment too--things you had with you both places.. could be a pillow or the laundry soap you use.. I react to wool and scratchy materials. It could be chemical or even something on a relative that you hug! So many triggers are well hidden, it does take a detective to find them! LOL...
Good luck Hon and hugs to ya,
Ramona

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print