Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Discounts for Medical Travel? (Read 1779 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Discounts for Medical Travel?
06/02/11 at 14:38:49

Hello,

Going traveling to see docs, but wondering how to get a more affordable ticket.  I only know of one airline that still gives discounts for medical travel, and then only to specific medical centers.  American gives discounts for travel to Mayo.  Does anybody know of anyplace else?

These tickets to the major medical centers out east are pretty pricey.  Any suggestions on how to get some assistance guys?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Discounts for Medical Travel?
Reply #1 - 06/02/11 at 15:15:04

I don't know of any discounts specifically for medical travel (sorry)... but I do know some general tips for getting a good price on a ticket.  I travel about 2-3 times per year.  What have you tried so far?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/03/11 at 19:53:17

Have you looked at Angel Flights? I'm not sure what it takes to qualify, but it would be a place to start.
http://www.angelflightwest.org/

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/03/11 at 20:16:34

Tickets purchased a month or two in advance will be a LOT cheaper than ones purchased within a couple of weeks of your departure.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 06/04/11 at 01:52:37

Joan wrote on 06/03/11 at 20:16:34:
Tickets purchased a month or two in advance will be a LOT cheaper than ones purchased within a couple of weeks of your departure.

Not necessarily.  About two months ago I bought a ticket for my trip to Boston, which leaves in four days.  The cost (before tax) was $324.65.  I just looked at kayak.com and the price has gone up to $379.  Not bad for a flight that's less than a week away!  In my experience you can get a better schedule (i.e. not leaving at 5:00 in the morning) if you book at least one month ahead, but... as long as you're not hoping to travel during Spring Break, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, you should be able to find something at a reasonable price.  It also helps if you're spending a Friday or Saturday night in that location... that's where the big discounts are.  In some cases, it would be worthwhile to spend an extra night in a hotel.  Travelocity will let you search for a three day window around your preferred dates... also for nearby airports.  A while back I was thinking of going to the University of Florida to do a little research... it's a lot cheaper if you fly into Jacksonville instead of Gainesville (which is a tiny airport).

Typically, when I'm looking for a ticket I start with either kayak.com (especially if it's an international flight) or travelocity.com.  Once in a while I purchase directly through that website.  If the ticket I want is on a airline where I have a frequent flier number (Delta, AA, United) I just hop over to the airline's website to purchase it.  The price tends to be slightly cheaper (10-15 dollars) and then I get credit for the miles.

I hope this helps!
Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print