Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fatigue - Is there anything to help? (Read 8114 times)
nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Re: Fatigue - Is there anything to help?
Reply #15 - 06/03/11 at 10:08:05

Lisa and Mike, thank you both for the information.

This is where I am trying to get better with this situation (understanding the medications).

I am confused because I finally looked up some info on Xyzal and the info only states that drowsiness is caused by alcohol consumption and overdose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000405/

I am taking the med as prescribed and I've never been a HUGE drinker and since all of this started have distanced myself completely from any alcoholic product.

I just know that after forgetting to take it a few nights ago I woke up the next morning and felt like my old self (in reference to the fatigue).

I should also note that while I have been on this medicine my reactions have not been as severe, but I still have them daily (flushing, skin writing, stomach cramps, diarrhea, brain fog, respiratory, rashes, and etc).  So I'm not sure that its working.  Other than the Xyzal I am currently only taking zyrtec and zantac in conjunction with it.  (this is another area of discussion I intend to spend time on with my Doctor on the 17th).

Current Meds:

Morning - 300mg Zantac, 10mg Zyrtec

During the day and based on reaction type and severity I take an additional Zyrtec.

Evening - 5mg Xyzal, 300mg Zantac, 10mg Zyrtec

Ok, so the short and sweet of my situation is that I am on a regiment of pills and my reactions are still and have always (even with singulair added) been present on a daily basis.  The skin writing and flushing got better for a very short period of time; but not for long.

I know I'm venting a little; but I just get so confused at times Smiley

I'm concerned because I had hoped that the meds would suppress my reactions unless I inadvertently ingested or put myself in contact with something that would cause a reaction; but this has not been the case.  At least half of my week is spent indoors and the rest is a mix of running errands, attending meetings, etc...

I am going to talk to the Doc about Lisa's point of the MC stabilizer; but in reading Mikes post I am confused because it sounds like that is what the Xyzal should be doing.

When all of this started I was prepared by everyone here and the forum for an adventure into "Mast Cell" land; but I am beginning to think I did not fully wrap my head around how much of an adventure it would be.

You are all so wonderful; I'm going to have to prepare for an in depth conversation and try to get everything straight.

Sorry about the vent; I hope everyone under stands Smiley

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #16 - 06/03/11 at 10:16:55

nelson1600 wrote on 06/03/11 at 10:08:05:
When all of this started I was prepared by everyone here and the forum for an adventure into "Mast Cell" land; but I am beginning to think I did not fully wrap my head around how much of an adventure it would be.

Cheesy Cry Grin Angry Shocked

It's like the Chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times."

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 06/03/11 at 14:18:19

Nelson my understanding is that Xyzal is a new form of zyrtec, thought to be more effective (comes in a ready to act forrm, whereas zyrtec your body has to convert, I think),. However they are both HI antihistamines, which mask the effect you feel from the histamine that has been released, rather than stopping the release before it happens - this is what the mast cell inhibitors like gastrocrom and zaditen do.  Zyrtec, and I expect xyzal, do cross the blood-brain barrier, even though they are referred to as non-drowsy. I think that  is a matter of 'it's all relative' - they ar not sedating like the 1st generation antihistamines, but they can cause drowsiness because they are crossing the b-b barrier.

IP Logged

Mike
Tutor

Danbury, CT
Danbury, CT
Reply #18 - 06/03/11 at 15:31:15

although all H1 antihistimines cross the bbb cetirizine has roughly half the affinity to cross and when it does it is very H1 receptor selective (when compared to first generation H1 blockers). In studies there has been no cognitive impairment related to this class of drug.  Drowsiness is also one of the most frequently reported side effects of medications in general.  I guess it's all relative.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print