Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blood Sugar and Masto? (Read 10920 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Blood Sugar and Masto?
05/22/11 at 11:08:24

Has anyone ever had your blood sugar taken when you were symptomatic?  I had one incidence of low blood sugar (was at 40) when I was symptomatic.  However, I can NOT say it was masto related, as I had to fast for some medical exams a few days prior to the recorded event.

I have noticed I don't feel well in the morning.  Well, today they had a health fair screening at my church, and were doing blood glucose tests.  I have been having some more mast cell symptoms the past couple of days, so I decided to get my blood sugar checked.  Even though I had eaten a good breakfast (sugard ceral, blueberries, milk, and tea with honey), my blood sugar was only 79.  I had not done any exercise either, so I didn't burn it off that way.  

I think I will get some test strips and dig out my glucometer and check my sugar in the mornings.  I have had very extensive workups for hypoglycemia and diabetes previously,  and they always came back negative.  There is diabetes in my family history, however, so going to keep an eye on it.  I do tend to run low, and have seen this before.

Just wondering, if perhaps, when I get symptomatic with my masto symptoms, I burn through a little more sugar and my metabolism goes up a bit?  Or, if it is unrelated, maybe I just tend to be a little hypoglycemic and should keep a better eye on it.  This might explain, in part, why I don't feel well in the morning.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Blood Sugar and Masto?
Reply #1 - 05/22/11 at 12:54:55

Sounds pretty reasonable Jilly!!

When I was in the ICU with my gallbladder surgery 2 years ago my glucose got pretty low too, but they didn't know why.  Yet, with my open heart surgery it was the opposite and it skyrocketed, but then, it was open heart surgery and I have a feeling that it's just such a drastic surgery with all of the many things involved that the body is put under incredible stresses and all kinds of things go haywire until the body can calm back down.  They wouldn't have specific ICUs just for this kind of surgery if it were a walk in the park, however!!

One thing I do know is that research shows that the disease messes with our lipid markers and once you dabble with the lipids you are also going to be messing with glucose.  There's the one bit of research which connects fat cells and MC mediators and diabetes!  How it all ties together is anybody's guess, but in truth, that's what we patients and our doctors have to do, make educated guesses!!!

So, I think you're on the right track there Jill cause something is obviously messing about with you!!  I'd bet you it's your masto!

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/22/11 at 15:33:52

I'm hypoglycemic, and I know that low blood sugar either triggers an adrenalin release or my masto.  I don't know which.  It feels the same.  I'll forget to eat or not get enough protein, and a spoonful of honey will stop the meltdown after a few minutes.  Sometimes I feel shaky, as though I have low blood sugar, when I'm already having a masto episode.  Don't know whether it's really low, though, but I think it might be the adrenalin.

I do better if I have some protein as part of my breakfast.  Sugary cereals elevate blood sugar initially, and then it can quickly crash.  I carry a can of almonds in my car and make sure to eat a few every couple of hours, and I think it stabilizes my blood sugar.  I know I'd feel better if I stay away from sugar altogether, but that doesn't seem possible so far!

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 05/22/11 at 16:52:42

I definitely feel better if I keep my blood sugar even... I know that shaky, adrenalin-surging feeling all too well Sad  My challenge is getting enough "good" protein.  No leftover meat, no aged cheese, no tuna, no seafood (although I'm OK with fresh fish).  I suffer if I eat too much meat that's not organic... I'm guessing because of all the synthetic hormones and antibiotics.  

So... I've been trying to eat more beans  Smiley  I eat eggs 2-3 times per week.  They're delicious right now with some fresh herbs from the garden... chives, tarragon... yum.  I also enjoy yogurt with blueberries and walnuts, but I need to lose about 15 pounds right now!  If anyone has more thoughts about low-calorie, low-histamine protein foods, I'd love to hear them.  

Diabetes runs in my family too.  Big time.  My numbers have been never been high, but it's something I pay attention to.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/22/11 at 17:27:58

All I can tell you is my experience. I am diabetic--diagnosed about the same time I developed active masto. I have a strong family history of diabetes both Gma , Mom and sister have it.  I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 30 years ago (while pregnant) which goes away after the pregnancy ends. I have never been a big sweet eater so I held it off for over 30 years.

I thought it was an interesting coincidence (??) that I went into full blown diabetes when the masto became active. I notice that many masto patients have trouble with their liver--and the liver affects the pancrease very quickly. That brings on diabetes faster.

As a nurse, I would say that hypoglycemia is one step away from diabetes, so be careful of that. A blood sugar of 79 isnt one I would worry about--that is only 1 point away from normal.  If it goes lower and does this on a continual basis, then I would definitely bring it up to your DR.

Being a person with Masto and Diabetes, I would say that any sugar reaction (low or high) will help bring on  masto reaction--and maybe even vice versa. Higher sugars open you to infections and problems with other organs and cardio vascular system which makes any organ involvement of masto worse--so its a delicate dance to make sure blood sugar is kept as normal as possible, while keeping masto reactions at a minimum with well tweaked medications.

One thing to remember IF you are hypoglycemic--think of sugars as immediate release short lasting, and long acting time release. If you feel low blood sugar, first, eat an immediate release sugar (candy, honey etc),. but.. remember to follow it with a long lasting sugar (carbohydrate) or you will crash as soon as the short lasting immediate sugar runs out.

Hope this helps Smiley
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 05/23/11 at 07:03:21

Gosh it seems like a lot us have blood sugar issues. I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. I managed without meds half way through my first pregnancy and then my secound I manged it with diet. I have also had hypoglycemia before and I was told to eat every three hours and link a protein to a carb so for every 15 grams of complex carbs eat 7 grams of protein. By doing that they told me it would prevent the dips in blood sugar there for normalizing blood sugar which in return stabilizes adrenaline and cortisol. I think adrenaline is what causes us to shake when our blood sugar gets to low. Some people get extremely moody. I have seen that one first hand. I would try eating a protein snack before bedtime or eat a carb with a protien at bedtime just link them. For breakfast I would eat something like eggs, maybe a veggie omelett and a piece of high fiber toast and see what your blood sugar is like in an hour. What is you fasting blood sugar in the morning? I was also told if I was going to eat carbs to eat complex carbs because of the slower digestion which prevents the blood sugar dips. No sugar, jams, honey, etc.

Heather- Breakfast proteins are hard for me since I can't tolerate eggs or dairy. I eat salmon or chicken or beans for breakfast. Or I eat Bobs Red Mill Stell Cut Oats (G-free), it's not really high protein but it has 7 grams I believe and it has fiber. I think the net carbs makes it 1 carb choice. Throw in a tablespoon of sunbutter(sunflower seed butter), almond butter, or walnuts or chia seeds. All of those containing proteins and good fats and aren't to high in carbs. I have been trying to mess around making a breakfast bars made with things like sesame seeds,sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and maybe flax. So far I haven't found the right combo yet. Many bars use dates as the paste that holds everything together. No dates for me unless I want the itchies. Protein shakes are a good breakfast. I like Jay Robbs brand ...he has whey protein, egg protein, and rice protein. I have tried them all. The whey and egg are good! But I can no longer have egg or whey. So I use the rice protein. Vanilla is the flavor I choose. If you haven't had rice protien I have to tell you no matter what brand you choose it chalky, rice protein isn't very good. But if you can do whey or egg protein buy the Jay Robbs brand, it really is the best protein powder. It is sweetned with stevia so there is no effect on blood sugar. You get 25grams of protein per serving. I usually use some almond milk and some frozen blueberries or frozen fruit and if your using the whey or egg protein it really will taste like a treat I'm telling ya. So with the fruit your getting some carbs and fiber as well as the protein. I usually only have half a scoop unless I'm exercising hard. I also use hemp protein, it has a nutty earthy flavor, I tolerate it, it's not yummy but it's ok. It has lot's of fiber and has omegas as well. The omegas are plant based so for people that can't tolerate fish oils it is a nice choice. Oh and for those that don't know much about hemp.......you can not get high of it. Lol! Also baking with almond flour is great because it is a high fiber and protien flour. There is a lady name Elana who makes many dishes with almond flour check her site out. I made some of her almond flour scones and they were pretty dang good! elanaspantry.com
Everybody is different in what works for them. I know that when my blood sugar hit 72 I was shaking and sweating profusely and was really confused and I had to go to the hospital(pregnant at the time). This is what works for me, maybe it might for you. Good luck!
Melissa

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/23/11 at 15:31:47

Thanks  for the good suggestions and info everybody.  I had a workup once, and some good endocrinologists told me that women actually tend to run a little lower than men.  Apparently some of us gals can tolerate the blood sugar lows a little better.  I guess some people do run naturally low.  I might be one of those people.

Yes, I need to eat more protein in the morning.  I was also told, since I have low blood pressure, to eat something salty in the morning, followed by a water "chaser".  Say, eat some nute and then have a big glass of water.  The salt keeps the water in.

I will try eating more protein and a little bit of a snack at night and see if that helps.

I like the bread recipies on AICR.  They put in more fiber to them.  They keep me pretty full all morning.

Here's a link to one.  It does have cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, don't try it if those spices bother you.  There are other good recipes there too:

http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?abbr=dc_rc_&page=NewsArticle&id=7247&news_iv_ctrl...

Please let me know if you have other good breakfast ideas.  I have to get to work in a hurry, so I need something I can make ahead of time and grab while I'm headed out the door.  Also need ideas for snacks I can take to work.  I get pretty busy some times.  I have to quit eating sugary things and soda.  Trying to eat more healthy and better, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Smiley

BTW if you like good bread and muffin recipes, check out this book, "Flavored Breads" from the Coyote Cafe:
http://www.amazon.com/Flavored-Breads-Recipes-Millers-Coyote/dp/0898158621/ref=s...

I have this book and just love it!  Has bread machine recipe versions as well.  I love the one for blueberry muffins.

If you have any good healthy cookbook links, to help steer me away from the sugar and more toward healthy eating, then please let me know that also.  Trying to keep my blood sugar where it needs to be without taking in so much refined sugar.  Trying to bust my soda habit, but it is HARD and I am really struggling with that.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 05/24/11 at 01:54:59

yummy!!! Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #8 - 05/24/11 at 04:26:17

Ahhh sugar. It's like heroin!
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 05/24/11 at 05:06:00

LOL!

Peanut or almond butter is a great source of protein.  Hadn't thought of almond flour, but great idea!  I use almond milk to make creamy soups.  Buckwheat is a high protein cereal, and Bob's makes one that's pretty good and filling.  Wheat germ and slices of apple in it helps.

Even though tofu is listed as a no-no on the low histamine diet, I don't seem to have a problem with it.  Do check the exp. date, and it needs to be stored, covered with water. and the water needs to be changed daily.

An easy, high protein breakfast is tofu (lightly browned in a pan) and peanut butter on whole grain toast (I sub almond butter now.).  
Even without tofu, almond butter on whole grain toast is good for breakfast and high in protein.

Low-fat ricotta and cottage cheese are high protein and seem to stick longer than yogurt for me.

I tolerate cannellini beans (white kidney beans) the best, even though I can't do red kidney beans (or any red beans).  Chickpeas/garbanzos and pinto beans have been okay, too, and so easy to cook from scratch in a slow cooker after soaking them overnight. I add a 3-4" piece of rinsed kombu seaweed, which makes them more digestible and adds a lot of minerals.  There are a million recipes online for both cannellinis and chick peas.  One of my favorite lunches is a dish of beans, sprinkled with herbs, s & p, and drizzled with olive oil.  Crusty bread on the side and a small salad.

In the a.m., before eating anything, one or two cups of water with ginger and honey helps settle my stomach and raises my blood pressure.  This climate is so dry that I have a hard time staying hydrated, and this helps.

Heather,  I'm also having a problem getting my weight down, and I wonder if it's related to meds.  I put on 7 pounds from prednisone last fall, and it won't go away.  What do you think?  I eat a really healthy diet and cook everything from scratch.  No butter, little sugar (except for an occasional piece of chocolate), little white flour, don't bake very often.  Still can't drop a pound.  And, I've been walking an hour a day and doing yoga!  Thyroid tests in the normal range with medicine.  My calorie intake is pretty low, but nothing comes off.  Wondering about the antihistamines or the Hashimoto's?  My calorie intake is pretty low, but nothing comes off.

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #10 - 05/24/11 at 07:06:05

Joan, I have the same problem with weight, hard to take off. For me I can't go over 100 carbs a day. 50 to 100 seems to be the magic number. I have PCOS/insulin restistance and for me my body doesn't tolerate carbs like other people. I have to eat 1400 calories a day if I'm not exercising. When I was eating the candidia diet which I felt like 80% better I was even running 4 miles 6 days a week and I still could only eat about 1800 calories. I was also doing interval training 3 days a week. I must have a seriously low metabilizm. I have more weight to lose than 7 pounds. Lol! Try like 40lbs!
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #11 - 05/24/11 at 09:11:59

Talk about low metabolism! That must describe me for sure! Only when I was first severely ill and undiagnosed, did my metabolism go crazy and I lost tons of weight. In fact, I had to eat to try to maintain my weight!

Sadly, the tide has turned. Melissa, I am with you -- would love to say goodby to a ton of weight. The only way that it works for me is to seriously eat almost nothing (and definitely no sugar, salt, carbs, or fat) and to exercise a ton each day. It is not easy....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 05/24/11 at 09:16:02

I eat anything I want to eat (that isnt on the low histamine diet that is). I cant take aspartame (instant shock for me), I dont trust chemicals. I gain weight when Im on Prednisone but I drop it as soon as Im off of it.  Im having a much bigger problem with weight loss--at first I thought it was funny (my big butt needed to shrink).. now it makes me wonder. My appetite sucks and Im averaging 25 lb weight loss per month without trying. Im sure its the malabsorption syndrome. I keep wondering when the Drs will notice it lol.
Grin
me

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #13 - 05/24/11 at 09:18:35

To be honest, the pharmacy changed the type of zantac I take recently and this one (long, yellow)  isnt helping as much as my first one (round, orange and tasted like peppermint).

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #14 - 05/24/11 at 09:41:52

Joan wrote on 05/24/11 at 05:06:00:
Heather,  I'm also having a problem getting my weight down, and I wonder if it's related to meds.  I put on 7 pounds from prednisone last fall, and it won't go away.  What do you think?  I eat a really healthy diet and cook everything from scratch.  No butter, little sugar (except for an occasional piece of chocolate), little white flour, don't bake very often.  Still can't drop a pound.  And, I've been walking an hour a day and doing yoga!  Thyroid tests in the normal range with medicine.  My calorie intake is pretty low, but nothing comes off.  Wondering about the antihistamines or the Hashimoto's?  My calorie intake is pretty low, but nothing comes off.

After my son was born I dropped weight pretty quickly without doing anything special.  Then I hit a plateau around 185/190 pounds.  I'm six feet tall, so that's not bad... on the borderline between "normal" weight and overweight.  Then I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and switched to a gluten-free diet.  Magically (so I thought) I lost 20 pounds without trying.  Then I started to get really sick from my mast cell disorder... my weight dropped even further to a low of about 150 pounds.  As I started adding antihistamines, then Gastrocrom, and then Singulair my weight started creeping back up... 160, 170, 180, 190.  Right now I'm at 195.  My goal is to get back to 180.  That might not be my "ideal" weight, but I think it's a healthy weight that I can sustain.

I'm definitely finding it more difficult to lose weight these days... but is that because of the drugs (which I can't stop) or because my intestines are finally healed and absorbing more nutrients?!  I don't really know.  This spring I was definitely eating more than I needed to... too much ice cream, too many meals in restaurants.  I went from a 14 to a 16.  Right now I'm trying to eat more fresh fruit, limit snacks, be a little more active, cook at home... we'll see how it goes.  

The biggest problem for me is that when I gain weight it goes straight to my belly.  People have asked if I'm pregnant again.  UGH.  I know they mean well, but this is a sensitive subject for me.  Medically, it's too risky to try again... and even if I could I'm not sure I would want to.  My youngest is potty trained now and ready to start pre-school.  I'm looking forward to slowing down a little!  Why do people have to open up such a can of worms??  This is way too much to discuss in a polite conversation... and so far I haven't come up with any kind of short, but honest answer that will satisfy peoples' curiosity.  These questions just hit me in the gut every time. Embarrassed

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print