Send Topic Print
Ultram/tramadol (Read 11711 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Ultram/tramadol
05/18/11 at 12:55:21

Last week I had my annual check-up with my GYN.  I asked her if I could try Ultram for my recurring abdominal pain instead of Lortab.  I can't take aspirin or NSAIDs because they're blood thinners... and this pain is way to much for Tylenol.  No problem.  She said that Ultram is not as strong, but if it works for me it would be preferable to taking Lortab (a blend of hydrocodone and acetaminophen).  This evening I got my first chance to try it and I think it's a keeper.  It works about the same for the pain... reducing it to a manageable level..., but it doesn't make me as loopy as Lortab.  Definitely a good thing!

So here's my question... what dose works best for you?  My GYN gave me a Rx for 50mg tablets.  On drugs.com it says that the typical dose for rapid relief is 50-100mg.  The maximum per day is 400mg as long as it's not mixed with acetaminophen (mine isn't).  I took one 50mg tablet around 3:30 and another one around 6:00.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Re: Ultram/tramadol
Reply #1 - 05/19/11 at 00:30:59

Heather:
As you may remember, I'm a big proponent of tramadol for my skin pain. My dose is 50mg & my doc says I can take up to 2 of them at a time max 4 times per day. So what you read looks right. I rarely use that must as the mornings are pretty quiet. My wife is using the one mixed with actaminophen for some back pain she has. She used to use darvicet & liked it a lot better. To be honest I have on occasion mixed it with tylonel  & didn't seem to do any more good for me than tramadol by itself. I as well never feel loopy with it. & it does what you say it does , just manage the pain not releave it. & never any increase in pain after it wears off like oxy or some of the other. So for me it's a keeper.
MikeV

IP Logged

fuchsia1
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/19/11 at 12:59:50

I have taken ultram since I can't take aspirin or nsaids too.  Found it gave a lot of relief when I pulled a muscle, but after taking more than one dose I started getting itchy.  Took a benedryl before the next dose which seemed to help and then stopped it because the pain was gone.  One thing the pharmacist warned about was seizures.  I know a friend that got them after the tramadol (  same as ultram?), but I think she got a really heavy dose in the hospital.  I got hives from darvacet, so that's out for me.  The allergist suggested celebrex, but I haven't tried it yet.  Glad to hear ultram is working for you.  Marie

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/26/11 at 07:45:15

I would ditto what the folks above said.  I can take 2 at a time up to 4 times per day.  These seem to work better for  "nerve" type pain and the overall body pain we seem to get.  I can't take NSAIDs for more than a day or so, no shocking, but will flare IC, which can be quite unpleasant to say the least.  I also take Lyrica in concert with them and I think they kind of work together.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/26/11 at 09:27:52

I take Lortab (Vicodan, Hydrocodone) for pain, 10 mg.  I also have Tramadol 50 mg and I take that too. I alternate them so my system doesnt get used to either med and they both will work better for me when I need them Smiley
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 05/26/11 at 11:32:13

My GYN also increased my Rx of Lortab from 5mg to 7.5mg.  I'm a bit nervous to try it... a few times I had to take two tablets of 5mg (when one wasn't enough) and it made me VERY loopy.

I may have been a little too optimistic about Ultram.  I noticed that it takes a while (two or three hours) for the drug to reach it's peak... and when it does it still makes me loopy.  Not as loopy as Lortab, but loopier than I'd like.  Why do the good painkillers do that?!

Hopefully when I see Dr. Castells next month she'll have something new to try and I won't need so many painkillers.  Smiley  I've been doing my homework.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 05/26/11 at 12:59:54

Its because your body isnt used to it. Most people arent as careful as we are when taking pain meds. We have an important reason to be careful. Ive gotten more used to my vicodan--and now when I take only 1 tramadol inbetween, I can really feel it. If I had done the opposite, it wouldnt have helped me as much (I think).
hugs
me

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 05/26/11 at 13:12:52

Oh yeah... no serious person could accuse me of being an addict Tongue  I got my first prescription for Lortab in October (30 pills) and I haven't even used the whole bottle yet.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/26/11 at 18:24:37

Marie,

Definitely look up the possible side effects of Celebrex before you start it.  It's a similar drug to Vioxx.  I'm not saying not to take it, but it does have serious potential risks.

Joan

IP Logged

sherry
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/27/11 at 04:37:07

Hi Ramona,
  Thanks for the advice. I dont have any biopsies coming back, the ones I had for my son all came back normal. We are waiting for a month now for the results from more blood tests. A blood test alos for the mastocytosis in that group. My son is age 11, 68 pounds. My concern with all the zantac and allegra, is the long term effects from these products. I try and do natural supplements and stay away from any more medications if possible. I have read over and over the long term effect of these medications and how harmful they can be on the stomach and actually cause long term effects of creating acid problems in the stomach,holes, etc. I know when you are in pain ,a person just wants relief but some of the blogs I have read some people are on pretty high doses. Does this concern you?
 I would love to come to your Dr. if I can not find help here in Tampa. Yes, Mayo is here but I dont know of anyone that specializes in the mass cell conditions. I will try to search there as well . Do you think these symptoms in my son sound like what ya'll are going through?
 Glad to see a Florida friend I can talk with....

Thank you,
Sherry

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 05/27/11 at 05:20:43

Hi Sherry,

Zantac and allegra are both very safe... all H1/H2s are very safe for long-term use, even at high doses.  If your son really does have a mast cell disorder then it's much more damaging/disabiling for him to be unmedicated and live in a constant state of degranulation.  Some common medications are definitely best to avoid if you can help it... antibiotics, prednisone, statins, etc... BUT antihistamines are not like that.  Another very safe drug that your son could try is Gastrocrom (oral cromolyn sodium).  It stabilizes the mast cells, which prevents the release or formation of all kinds of mediators such as leukotrienes, heparin, cytokines, prostaglandins, etc...  Prostaglandins, for example, are what cause a lot of the pain.  You can block the effects with drugs like aspirin and Tylenol, but of course those drugs have risks.  Aspirin can give you ulcers... also, for many mast cell patients it causes more problems than it solves.  Even Tylenol can be damaging to the liver if taken in high doses or for long periods of time.  Gastrocrom is a much better solution!  Mast cell stabilizers are the only drugs that actually prevent symptoms.

Not all drugs are dangerous... and sometimes even if they are, you can't avoid them.  If your son had another serious disorder like cancer or schizophrenia would you treat him only with supplements?  A mast cell disorder is serious too.  We're just really lucky that our main treatments are not dangerous.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #11 - 05/27/11 at 06:20:22

Heather:
I agree w/ Ramona. As you know I take Tramadol not every day but almost every day for my nerve pain. Now I'm going back a way but at first it may have looped me some, but now doesn't at all & it seems to react faster. I get down from the edge relieve in less than an hour.  So give it chance. I haven't taken the one your on so have no idea, but sounds like it has more opiate which for me means trouble. A question on singulair, as am trying to get on instead of my zyflo as it has less fillers. It seems to make me tired, as my prescription says take at night, so am now trying what Ramona does is take it in the morning to see if that works better. The problem with mastos is you never know if its the med or something else going on like a flu bug, but I'm determined to make it work.
Thanks as aways
Mike V

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 05/27/11 at 08:19:32

<--waving HI to Mike  Cheesy

Hey Sherry,
I echo what Heather said about the antihistamines. She is BRILLIANT, you can always trust her advice.

Yes, at the beginning it seems that we take doses that are way too high, but its necessary for us to not react--reacting is much worse for us. It can cause some of us to go into shock, reacting also seems to affect some of our organs in a negative way too and there is a question pending for doctors about reacting actually causing damage internally--we dont have that answer yet.

So in the end its much safer (IF your son has masto) to take just enough meds to not only stop reacting, but to prevent it from happening. Your sons age and weight would mean that he would take aprox half the doses we take--and of course that would change as he gets older.
Hope this helps
Ramona

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #13 - 05/27/11 at 09:23:12

Hi Mike,

Yes, the Lortab is an opiate.  Tylenol is not strong enough for this pain and I can't take aspirin or NSAIDs because of how they thin my blood.  So... I'm down to opiates.  Ultram is also an opiate, but it seems to be one that more mast cell patients (like you) are able to tolerate.  That's why I wanted to try it!  I've also had a couple of good experiences with Fentanyl.  All the opiates make me a bit nauseated, but I can easily get rid of that with liquid Benadryl.  What concerns me most is the extreme loopiness and fatigue.  These attacks always seem to happen at a bad time!  Like... in the late afternoon when it's time to pick up my kids from school.  

Anyway... I don't know if it will make a difference to change the time of day you're using Singulair.  It's not a fast-acting drug.  In my case, it took about a month to reach full effectiveness, both when I started taking it and when I increased the dose to 30mg/day.  It doesn't work as quickly as antihistamines.  For what it's worth... and I'm not sure this is cause and effect... I feel my best in the morning.

Good luck with your experiment!  I hope it does work Smiley

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 05/27/11 at 09:54:19

Hi Heather,

I went to the doctor yesterday and asked for an Rx for Ultram.  She warned me not to take it with Benadryl.  I don't know if that has anything at all to do with what you're experiencing, but she didn't like the combo of 1st generation antihistamines and opiates.  She also said not to take it with Zofran for nausea.  Don't know if other meds are contraindicated.  Sigh.  Meds can be so complicated.  

I still only have Tylenol for pain, which I'm lucky enough not to get very often, but it doesn't completely solve the problem.  

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print