Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gastrointestinal disorders and masto (Read 1652 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Gastrointestinal disorders and masto
05/15/11 at 09:19:28

I was wonder if someone might be able to explain to me why many of us with masto have steatorrhea(oily stools) which can be a sign of malabsorbtion. I have this often, I have started taking digestive enzymes and I think they might be helping but I'm not sure yet. Does this mean I am not absorbing certain vitamins like vitamin B or D? If I take larger doses is it basically a waste because my body isn't going to absorb them anyway? My appointment with the gastro doc isn't for 3 more weeks. My lower stomach is so tender. Is it inflammation down there? I have been taking extra meds but I'm still having digestive issues. Wondering, should I ask for some prednisone?
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Gastrointestinal disorders and masto
Reply #1 - 05/15/11 at 09:41:14

If you have a lot of diarrhea that will cause malabsorption because your half-digested food is moving too quickly through your intestines.  Damage from conditions like celiac disease, Chron's, ulcerative colitis, lymphoma, etc... also interfere with absorption.  Misuse of antacids and PPIs can inhibit digestion by depleting the acid in your stomach (where digestion begins).  Here's a good list of causes from the NIH:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001344/

Have you had your D and B-12 levels tested?  Do you have other symptoms of those deficiencies?  For about 2 1/2 years I've been taking 4,000iu of vitamin D per day.  I had my level tested about a year ago and it was 32 (just barely normal).  Now it's 46.  I attribute that change to better absorption... I haven't changed my dose or been spending more time in the sun.

It's good that you have an appointment with a gastroenterologist... something might turn up.  My husband just had an endoscopy and found out that he has a moderate hiatal hernia.  It doesn't it change his treatment (an H2, PPI, and/or antacid as needed), but at least now he knows why he gets heartburn so frequently!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Re: Gastrointestinal disorders and masto
Reply #2 - 05/15/11 at 16:50:42

The first time I had D tested it was 23. I was able to get it up to 62 with tanning and take 3000iu's for 4 months. That was 3 years ago. Since then I had had it re-tested and I can't seem to get it above 42. I have been taking 5000iu's for 2 years and I'm wondering if the reason why I can't get them higher is because D it's a fat soluble vitamin.
I had my B levels checked also 3 years ago, this was around the time I believe the masto was starting to come out. I was having such bad diarrhea at the time and also was having weak muscles, etc.....anyway my B levels where within ''normal'' range....540 I think it was. I just wonder, with taking all these acid reducers and already having the steatorrhea problems before I wanna make sure I get these vitamins somehow.
But do you know why people with masto have steatorrhea? Also I had gall bladder problems about 14 years ago and had some tests where they injected this dye into me and watched it go through my body and they told me I had a small restriction in the flow of bile and if it continues to bother me see a surgeon. My grandma put me on a low fat diet and of course it got better and now it only bothers me once or twice a year( bad gall bladder pain). So I wonder if it is a bile thing and thats why I have the steatorrhea, I asked the GI doc and he dismissed it, because he was so stuck on the celiac thing, just sure I had celiac. But I don't. So I'm going to ask him again. What do think, you think it could be from lack of sufficient bile?
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print