Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Numbness/Tingling has lasted 5 days! (Read 4969 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Numbness/Tingling has lasted 5 days!
05/11/11 at 23:34:49

I am having persistent pin/needles numbish type feelings that are not going away and it's scaring me!  It lasts for hours and then I become unaware of it because I'm dealing with the kids.  Then I notice it again.  It's worse on my face, neck, throat....I can feel it just a bit in my hands.  My husband was helping me stretch my shoulders this morning and it traveled down my arm.  I don't know what to do about this!!!  If I take my head and try to stretch out my neck it makes it MUCH worse.  I can feel it stretching out to more places on my face and I could even feel it in my mouth this morning after I stretched my neck.  SOMEBODY HELP OR ADVISE!!!

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Numbness/Tingling has lasted 5 days!
Reply #1 - 05/12/11 at 00:32:06

godsgal I can understand you find that a bit scary and distressing, and at the least just really annoying. I think I would be consulting a doctor who can check it out and identify the reason for it.  In person they will be able to do some basic evaluations to rule out some fundamental concerns.  It's adding to your stress levels too, so if nothing else the reassurance of a doctors opinion might help ease that.  There is a limit to what can be determined at a distance i.e over the interent.  I think I would also go easy on the stretching until you know what is causing it.  I hope you get some relief from it and some answers soon.

Ruth

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 05/12/11 at 01:05:31

Good advice!  I would start with your GP... it might be something as simple as a B-12 deficiency.  IMO, the next step would be to see a neurologist.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you have a diagnosis for a mast cell disorder yet.  That doesn't mean you don't have one... or that your symptoms aren't real... it just means that you and your doctors need to keep an open mind about what this could be.  Even if you have a diagnosis, sometimes people develop additional, unrelated disorders.  I know it sucks when you just want RELIEF, but it's important to work your way through the system to get a proper diagnosis and the right treatment.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/12/11 at 01:41:22

I agree with Heather... It might be associated with the masto, and might not be. It sounds like you have some swelling and/or injury in the spine or lower neck area. Did this disappear when you were on prednisone then re-appear when you went off of it? Do you have any swelling under your under arms? I would not try to do that stretching right now until you see the DR and let him see whats causing it.  I dont think thats a true neuropathy, it sounds like an injury instead, Please let us know Hon, we do care Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/12/11 at 02:57:19

No...I def have some type of a diagnosis....I have cutaneous masto...high methyllhistamines.  That's it at this point.

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/12/11 at 03:24:55

Jared,

Several times I have had allergic reactions present like you describe. The symptoms are VERY neurological, but stop when I identify the trigger and stop taking it.

The 1st time, I was taking turmeric as a supplement. After 10 days or so the tops of my shoulders and back of my neck began burning- like the worst sunburn ever. I even went to my GP and begged to be treated for shingles. I thought they just hadn't shown up yet. When I finally realized it could be associated with the turmeric. I stopped it & the burning receded almost immediately.

This last Christmas, my Reynauds was so severe (black fingers & toes) that my doc put me on Norvasc. My chin became numb- as if I had frozen it- been out in the cold too long. Additionally, my MCAD symptoms also dramatically worsened- tachycardia, low BP, etc.  I cut my dose in half; my symptoms improved for a day for a day or so...then returned with a vengeance. The numbness spread to my mouth and tongue. I finally KNEW it was an allergic reaction and stopped. It took a full 3 weeks for the symptoms to recede. They lessened a bit every day. Very scary.

With your DX, you can't rule out an allergic response. I know you just started new meds. Might be one of them... What does Dr. Afrin say?  

Julie

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/12/11 at 09:56:15

I responded to your last post. Are you still in the moldy house? Reactions to mold can present with tingling and numbness. For certain very sensitive people, even moving out of the house does not stop the symptoms.

With everyone else, I highly suggest you get a doctor to check out what the cause is. There are many possibilities.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 05/14/11 at 07:25:19

I have had that sensation when I am gonig through shock symptoms.  It is very uncomfortable is it?  Like a bad burning sensation and all prickly all over?

I was told it was the mast cell mediators that were stimulating the nerves.  I just spoke with a neurologist about it the other day.  She said it was a transient effect.  I have had mine last all day too.

However, I agree with the posts above.  There are other conditions that could present with similar symptoms.  Best to get it checked out.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 05/15/11 at 13:35:14

Gal:
I know we talked, but what's  your tryptase score. Have he docs talked about a ckkit mutation. I've had buring & tingling & nerve pain for over 5 years now. I at first that it as a neuro condition as well and spent almost 2 years treating it that way. I know we talked about SM with the skin & it's nerves being the organ where the ckit mutation has happened with me. Just because it's skin related doesn't make it cutaneous. In fact some insurance companies look at cutenous masto as a derm disease rather than an immune system issue so they can fight paying for it. Just a little esperience that I've gain along the way. Email me again if you have questions that I can help with.
Mike V

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/15/11 at 23:26:31

I just had the bone marrow done a few days ago.  So we'll see what that comes out to.  

I'm out of the moldy house now.  I have talked to all my doctors, even the ones at Mayo about the mold and they know nothing about it.  I'm at a loss there.  

My tryptase has always been normal....7, 5, 5.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #10 - 05/17/11 at 05:50:43

I get this same thing. In fact right now it is doing it. Especially when I hold something like a book or pieces of paper it almost feels like I'm getting very small amount of electricty pulse through my body. For me, it is usually when I need a chiropractic adjustment. I go get adjusted and it goes away. It's usually my neck that is out. Also my left leg goes numb and tingles too sometimes. When I get adjusted it goes away too.
Melissa

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 05/17/11 at 08:48:04

Mold issues are not understood by many doctors. If you are lucky, you won't be one of those who stays sick after getting out of the house. Just keep it in mind, if the doctors can't find the cause of your symptoms, it might be worth checking further. I would be happy to give you some ideas where to go.

I know this is true, because I have been through it myself, and went through treatment that helped.

Whatever is causing yours, I hope the doctors can figure it out and find something to help you.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 05/17/11 at 09:30:41

I think Jilli and Mike are right--now that I know you definitely have the UP diagnosis and you have problems with syncope like Lisa does. I think its related to the BP being low and the mast cells reacting. We need to get you on the right meds first then see how things calm down from there.
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print