Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone else suffer from Kounis syndrome? (Read 8233 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Anyone else suffer from Kounis syndrome?
Reply #15 - 05/19/11 at 17:27:07

I've seen more and more articles that implicate mast cells in all sorts of diseases and disorders.  I wonder sometimes if the mast cells are there simply because there's inflammation or something not quite right in that locale.  Perhaps they're not causing the problems, just reacting and trying to get everything back to normal again.  The fire gets out of control; the firemen show up to put out the fire!  

Of course in the case of neoplastic SM, that probably wouldn't be the case.  However, in the case of mastocytic enterocolitis, if the mast cells are stabilized, the inflammation recedes, and the intestines re-populated with normal bacteria, the mast cells go away.  The actual number of mast cells decreases to a normal number.

I hope they have more answers before I'm too old and creaky to know what they're talking about!! Grin

« Last Edit: 05/20/11 at 04:46:28 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - 05/19/11 at 19:48:33

No time to read it all right now but after 23 years of severe reactions to foods and chemicals, I know my body, umm take a look at the post from Fabios wife in regards to her most recent ER trip. With a diagnosis of a Mast Cell disorder and protocol in hand. on top of being in a NIH study the ER entirely ignored everything she had to offer.
No way would I go to a common Cardiologist or common GP. ever again. They don't even believe in mast cell disorders nor understand them nor care to. So telling one about your chest pains while degranulating will get you absolutely nowhere but the funny farm. If I had a cucumber now and some nitrates or sulfites, I'd have severe chest pain that is in no way indigestion, or anxiety or a muscle spasm it is severe pain to the point of passing out.followed by other anaphylactic and cardiac symptoms.  I've been avoiding so many foods and chemicals from 20 +years back as I discovered the triggers chest pain  is seldom a problem now but I could easily re introduce it by exposing myself to the offenders.
Not all of us have  dynamic duo physicians and have thoroughly decided to refrain from the abuse of physicians that are clueless about mast cell disorders unless absolutely necessary. I'm in no way inciting pity party for those of us that don't have the correct docs, we will all get to the correct one someday. But I think it's easy to forget the road to nowhere many of us have been on with evidence slapping physicians all over the country in the face. No offense taken by anyone just making a point. Paranoid is not in my nature, if it was I'd be dead. I'm allergic to life for gosh sakes and I wake up every day and give it the optimistic 100 percent I have. Always hoping I can conquer and cure not gain another "freak name" I think a lot of us are like that we dont want another diagnosis, we want them subtracted.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #17 - 05/20/11 at 02:46:44

Yes, Sandi, I understand where you are coming from and fully comprehend your situation.  I've been through the grinder with doctors myself and had some pretty serious accusations coming from even those who would be considered Dynamic Duos!  I've had to endure a great deal, but I'm not the kind of person to give up and so I keep pushing to find doctors who can and are WILLING to help me!!  My case is ONE OF THOSE, unfortunately and even with the help of doctors like Dr. Castells and Dr. Escribano, my case defies even them.   I'm not bragging or anything so stupid as that, but this is what the truth of my situation is and Dr. Castells herself told me that my case is indeed a complex one and we came to the conlusion long ago that I'd basically run out of options here in Brazil.  Yet, I too am in the same spot as you in that I've not got the money to travel outside of Brazil and much less to try to see any of these experts on top of it!  I must work with the doctors within my means and that means staying within Brazil and within what my pocket can afford.  Thankfully we have a government  health insurance so this gives me a bit more freedom and options since many of these researchers work for the federal or state funded universities and hospitals and this opens up options to high leveled doctors that I would never have the opportunity to have otherwise.  However, there are those who don't.  The only hematologist, I believe, who knows masto and worked with Dr. Akin is in a price range that is TOTALLY unaffordable and he is not an option at all!  I really need his help too, but we just can't afford him right now.  I really need to see Dr. Castells personally, but just to get to the States is about $2,000 Dollars and then to pay privately for her consultation, we've added another chunk on top of that much less the travel expenses too!!  

However, here is the option that you DO have.   You need to keep pushing for doctors within your region to find one who is INTERESTED in your case.  The great majority of my doctors are low level doctors, but he difference in them from the rest is that THEY ARE INTERESTED and they bend over backwards working WITH me, learning WITH me and allowing me to help them learn and it's these doctors who, if you can find one, who will become your greatest allies.  These doctors will speak with the heavy weights and those heavy weights, who understand the challenge that we patients face in finding answers are MORE THAN WILLING to work with your doctors!!

Sandi, if you can find a cardiologist who is INTERESTED and WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU, you tell him that you've got heavy weights who will be more than glad to support him.  You find me that doctor and I will give you the contacts with the higher ups!  These cardiologists at Harvard who are supporting me are MORE THAN WILLING to support your doctors and they will GLADLY extend themselves to YOUR DOCTORS!!   I've already asked them and they have said that they are more than happy to speak and work with any masto patients doctors!!!

So, Sandi, although your situation may be difficult, DO NOT GIVE UP.  You keep facing those doctors until you finally can find the RIGHT ONE and you let him know that you've got high authorities who are more than willing to work with him and then we'll see what happens!

Have Faith, Sandi.  Keep pushing.  The answers are out there, but just as it takes a lot of frogs to find that one prince....!!   That ONE MARVELOUS DOCTOR will make up for 100 doctors who are useless, trust me!!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 05/20/11 at 08:37:09

Lisa, thanks for clarifying.

Sandi, you mentioned you have a hole in your heart. Do you know if you have an atrial septal defect or a patent foramen ovale? The PFO is the reason why I have a cardiologist who sees me so often. These can cause shunting of blood from one side of the heart to the other. This causes two problems.

One is that not enough blood gets to the lungs to be re-oxygenated. So you are struggling all of the time with lower levels of oxygen than you need.

The second is something I didn't realize till we went through all of this. When blood goes to the lungs to get oxygen, it also gets filtered of carbon dioxide AND other toxins, and things like blood clots. So when there is a lot of shunting, we don't get enough clearing of our blood, and it exposes us to higher levels of toxins in the blood, and to possible higher levels of medications, hormones, and all kinds of things. There has been shown to be a higher risk for migraines and stroke.

They didn't always use to repair this, because the repair required open heart surgery. If it wasn't repaired when you were an infant, you just lived with it. Also, it can't always be seen easily on imaging, so they didn't always find it unless they knew to look.

Now, though, they have found less invasive ways to repair the openings, by inserting a catheter through the arteries in your leg, and opening a small umbrella like patch to cover the hole.

My cardiologist wanted me to have this repair done, but I have been holding out so far, because the patch contains nickel, which I react really badly to. We are waiting to see if they can come up with something that I wouldn't react to. In Europe they are using dissolving patches made from collagen, which may be possible, but it isn't approved here yet.

Anyway, I don't know how up on things your cardiologist is. This is another of those unusual/cutting edge types of things. I don't know how much it is impacting your health, but I have plenty of papers on it, if you want to take a look. Don't know if this could interact with mast cell issues, but it causes trouble all on it's own, so is worth looking to see what they can do for you.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #19 - 05/20/11 at 16:03:01

Is there desensitization/immunotherapy for nickel allergy?

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - 05/22/11 at 07:01:08

Can you be desensitized to something like that? One of my doctors wanted me to be desensitized to Zithromax, as I have an infection that does best when treated with it. When I checked into the process, they told me you have to do the de-sensitizing right when you are ready to take the drug, and that if you stop taking the drug, you will become sensitive again.

I don't know how it would work with something implanted in your body, especially the heart, as there is so much blood flow there. Any particles coming off the patch would travel everywhere in the body.

Has anyone heard of this type of thing?

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #21 - 05/22/11 at 07:19:44

Dr. Mariana Castells is a leading authority in desensitazation and I suggest you speak with her Susan

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print