Send Topic Print
Hi everyone, I'm Mike (Read 3627 times)
Mike
Tutor

Danbury, CT
Danbury, CT
Hi everyone, I'm Mike
05/09/11 at 09:38:32

I'm 43 from CT and have been diagnosed roughly 2 years (Indolent Systemic Mastocytosis).  I suffered 20 years (and at least 20 Doctors) before finally self-diagnosing and having it confirmed by a serum tryptase of 970 and 40% + infiltration of spindle shaped mast cells in my marrow.  I'm a shocker and just looking to see how you all get by.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Hi everyone, I'm Mike
Reply #1 - 05/09/11 at 10:01:53

Hi and welcome! So glad that you found us, as you will get all sorts of good tips from this great community! A good place to start is by reading the category, "START HERE! Tips for identifying your triggers and learning how to get better." I have a bunch of tips at the top, "Deborah's tips," which will be helpful to you. (I am a shocker also!)

Enjoy the forum!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/09/11 at 10:12:39

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forum!  Hope it will give you some good ideas of things to do to feel better.  I went 16+ years of having severe symptoms without diagnosis, although I suspect that I've had this most of my life with some periods of having fewer symptoms than at other times.

There are a number of shockers on the forum.  There are also several topics regarding living with this disorder that contain a lot of suggestions, wisdom, and experience.  A lot of people know far more than most doctors.  

Some people on the forum are in the process of trying to get diagnosed, i.e., rule in/out other causes of their symptoms and rule in/out a mast cell disorder.  Some have found doctors who understand mast cell disease, and some are still looking for one.

If you want to post your meds list, and what symptoms, if any, are giving you trouble, people will post comments and suggestions.  I would say that most people, when they first come to this site, are under-medicated and still having severe symptoms.  Many become a lot more stable with medicine and dietary changes.  

Some people also post detailed information about their tests and physical condition for comments (e.g., digestive, lymph, blood, bone, or organ involvement and C-kit status).  

If you'd be willing to post the doctor who confirmed your diagnosis, that may help someone else.  As you probably know, there aren't too many docs out there who know very much about mast cell problems.

Hope something here will help you!

Joan

IP Logged

Mike
Tutor

Danbury, CT
Danbury, CT
Reply #3 - 05/09/11 at 11:04:42

Thank you Deborah and Joan.

Joan, sure I'll share my tid-bits.  However, keep in mind I self diagnosed and only used the rheumatologist (for serum tryptase level) and then my hematologist/oncologist for BM aspiration.  Other than that I have pretty much managed my own care. My multiple so called "rare disorders" which include Achalasia, neuropathy and Kounis Syndrome have made me become much self reliant when it comes to my health.  Achalasia is another VERY rare disorder, which I also self-diagnosed (confirmed with manometry study and treated with 2 abdominal surgeries). In researching all this I became more and more interested in medicine and at age 39 went back to school to be an R.N., with luck, I will graduate next week! On a side note, I began "shocking" in 1990. Now to my "current regimen", it does change from time to time:

A.M. Meds:
omeprazole 20 mg
cetirazine 10 mg
ranitidine 150 mg
optimized D3 5,000 i.u.
activated quercitin 660 mg
luteolin 200 mg

P.M. Meds:
diphenhydramine 50 mg
omeprazole 20 mg
cetirazine 10 mg
ranitidine 150 mg
optimized D3 5,000 i.u.
activated quercitin 660 mg
luteolin 200 mg

In addition I take diphenhyrdramine PRN for symptoms.  Also gastrocrom 200 mg (4 times a day)

whew...not sure what I forgot?

I just remembered what I forgot (brain fog?):  My Doc is Dr. John Nelson in Valhalla, NY  He coordinates my care with Dr Teferi from Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Mike Smiley

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/09/11 at 12:21:36

Hi Mike and welcome to the board, nice to meet ya!

First congrats on graduating from Nursing school, that is some feat! Im a Nurse ,  of 35 years, disabled now because of this illness.My daughter just graduated from Nursing school last week and I am a proud Mama. After her pinning ceremony, I pinned my own pin on her and told her "Now you always have your Mama with you."  Smiley

I am one of the shockers here and if I can ever help you with anything, let me know. OK, now for your meds.. It looks pretty good I see just a few small things I would add;
Zantac, needs to be 300 mg twice a day
If that brain fog bothers you, try adding Vistaril 25 mg twice a day
Singular in the AM might give you more energy and blocks luekotrienes(sp?).

Now if youre a shocker, you need a bigger emergency kit;
(this is mine)
Benadryl 50 mg
Zantac 300 mg
Prednisone 40 to 60 mg
2 epi pens
a letter from your DR that states you have an "Anaphylactic Disorder" (They know how to treat that, saying Mastocytosis would only confuse them and delay your care.
I also called 911 ahead of time and they have notes on my care IF I call.  The EMTs and ER staff know me by first name now lol.

Most of us have emergency notebooks that we carry with us. TMS has a download version you can customize for yourself, its worth getting and using.

Thats enough for now, lol.. Glad to have you here!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/09/11 at 17:17:16

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing.  You've really been through a lot (and still going through it).  I'm sure you're aware of mast cells/histamine/other mediators involved in your other disorders.  Looks like you have a working regimen of meds and a competent medical team (including yourself!).

A lot of us masto-people take 180 mg. fexofenadine (Allegra) as an H1 blocker.  Some alternate with Zyrtec, and some just take the Allegra.  That's just an FYI, as I don't know whether Allegra is allowed with your other conditions.  

So, fellow masto-people, here are a couple of more rare problems related to mast cells.  I can't help but wonder if some people who have similar symptoms might want to check these out.  There are things to avoid that seem to overlap with our list, at least for Kounis Syndrome.  

Mike, if you don't mind, will you tell us some more about what your symptoms were for the other disorders and also for what reason you take the luteolin?  

From what I read about Kounis, epinephrine might not be a safe way to handle those episodes.  I did see a safe protocol online, though.  How can you tell the difference between it and SM episodes?  I don't know if anyone else has coronary symptoms with their masto, but it might be worth looking into this, if so.  Do you have any special treatment for it?  Is it a frequent event?  Do you mind a thousand questions? Smiley

People on the forum sometimes report severe symptoms that aren't really resolved by the usual masto medications.  It's puzzling sometimes, but now I wonder how many other rare disorders there are that involve mast cells.

Some people are very concerned when their tryptase is over 11, but you seem to be functioning pretty well with a very high tryptase.  Has that number been confirmed?  I ask because mine is quite high, but yours seems to be out of the ballpark.  Do you know exactly what causes tryptase to elevate?

Well, I think I've asked all the questions I can muster for one night.  We're all trying to put our information together to help ourselves and others here.  It's a very bright and supportive group.  Thanks!

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/09/11 at 20:48:22

Hi Mike,

I am a new person on the board, too. I, like you, have had to do a lot of the work to get my "designer" diseases diagnosed. Congratulations! on graduating from nursing school! That is quite an accomplishment.

Currently they are looking at mast cell disorders for me.

I'm interested to see you have Achalasia. That is something that has come up in my research on my symptoms. I have a number of chronic infections that cause nerve damage, and I wondered if that was the reason for my severe chest pain (nutcracker esophageal spasms), and the problems I had swallowing. Since finding mast cell disorders could also have some of the esophageal symptoms, and starting antihistamines in higher doses, I have had significant improvement in my symptoms. I'm waiting for an appointment with my GI doctor to follow this up, so I will be curious to learn more about your history.

I'm also interested to read about Kounis syndrome. One of my most concerning symptoms had been chest pain. I was thoroughly worked up, and did not show the usual heart issues, but they did find a patent foramen ovale (hole in the heart) that has the highest grade shunt of blood between ventricles, associated with migraines (which I have), stroke, tachycardia, and a number of other factors. When blood gets sent to the lungs, they purify toxins and remove blood clots as well as provide oxygen. Shunting the blood means that doesn't happen to all of your blood, so many toxins as well as body chemistry gets recirculated instead of cleared.

I was also diagnosed with exercise induced asthma, even though I don't really fit the asthma parameters. Learning about exercise induced anaphylaxis, that may fit as well. Following any exertion at all, AFTER the exertion, I would have tachycardia, throat swelling, chest pain, extreme fatigue, and generalized pain.

Since starting the antihistamines, my tachycardia, chest pain, throat swelling, difficulty swallowing, , and erratic blood pressure are hugely improved. It was shocking, how suddenly the symptoms improved, after two years. My cardiologist went from pushing for a patch on my heart, to saying it is safe to watch and wait.

I would be very interested in hearing more about both Kounis and Achalasia. I don't know if I just have all the most unusual problems, or if maybe they are only unusual because physicians don't know about them.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 05/14/11 at 02:32:27

Hi Mike,

Welcome to our Forum!!  

You said you live in CT!  Mike, I have some cardiologists who could be of help to you.  They are in Boston and they do research on the involvement of mast cells within the cardiovascular system, so they would know plenty about Kounis Syndrome as well as your cardiovascular issues and they would be good options for you if you are needing a cardiologist.

Joan, as you know, we're all such a bag full of tricks that we send doctors into confusion for none of us is the same.   One of the things I recently found out is that not everybody goes through these horrendous reactions that are so severe.  This has ended up being very surprising to me for when I speak with other patients here and on other sites, they talk about their episodes and problems and I've had them to compare to.   What I'm learning is that we patients who go through such extreme reactions may be a relatively small group and this is why we tend to band togehter for our needs are higher due to all of the activity we go through.  We're on the extreme end of masto as far as our reactions are concerned.

However, as the doctors will say, our tryptase levels have NO CORRELATION as to what our reactions are!   You and Mike don't necessarily have worse reactions just because your tryptase is higher.  It just does not correlate at all!   I'm one of those whose tryptase is normal - 4.2ng/mL.  It went up .2 within 3 years!!   In fact, my tryptase is so low that we've had to cancel the bone marrow biopsy and study that Dr. Escribano was going to do because there are just too few mast cells to be found.  

But, you would think that with all of the severe reactions that I have, that my tryptase would be way high and it's just not.   The severity and the amount of our reactivity has absolutely NOTHING to do with the level of your typtase and it's one more way that mast breaks the rules for it would make logical sense for this to be so, but masto is king at breaking the rules of medicine and this is yet one more way it does so.   For some unknown reason, Joan, your reactions don't reflect your tryptase levels.  However, within each patient, perhaps there is a relationship as to their tryptase levels and their own amount of reactivity.  This is something I don't know about and which is a valid question, but it's when we compare patients that the tryptase level has nothing to do with reactivity.  

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print