Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
re: Dr. Afrin (Read 7224 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

re: Dr. Afrin
05/07/11 at 06:26:54

Just a thought about Dr. Afrin.......I am very impressed with this doctor so far.  I was set to see him in June and I had my cardiologist call him to see if Dr. Afrin would be willing to guide him on how to treat me since I was virtually unmedicated for this condition.  He called my cardiologist back in just a few hours and told my doctor what meds to put me on, how to do it, what not to do, and meds to avoid.  He also told the scheduling dept. to offer me a sooner appt. and they called me to offer me one in 2 weeks!  All of that happened in less than 24 hours and I'm not even his patient yet.  Also, I emailed Dr. Afrin personally regarding my need for certain tests and he returned my email in less than 30 minutes on his day off!!!  I'm very impressed so far with this doctor and his willingness to help me and I'm not even his patient yet.  I look forward to seeing him in the office soon, God willing.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Dr. Afrin
Reply #1 - 05/07/11 at 12:08:07

GREAT NEWS, JARED!!!!

I REALLY hope this doctor works out for you!  He may end up being a reference point for us to send others to him!  He seems to be up on masto well enough to have produced that report with Dr. Molderings.  The fact that he and Dr. Molderings are working together along with another German research shows that Dr. Afrin is moving up in the masto circles and this is good.  The fact that he and Molderings are communicating together is also good because Molderings and his colleage are in Germany and the way researchers work is that they will reach out to one another when they find a colleague who has a like understanding or vision on something and then they begin working together.  So, since Molderings has problished other projects similar to this in the past few years shows that Afrin is up and coming and moving up in his expertise.   This is really good for us masto patients for the more doctors who come over to this MCAD side, the better it is for us all.  

Unfortunately there has been this really stupid exclusivity of ONLY SM is masto and boy is this so wrong.  Masto is not exclusively the neoplastic form of the disease, but there is this kind of morbid ideia amongst some patients who think that this makes them special and it's so very weird and even wrong for there's nothing special or positive in having a rare disease!  There's no status and nothing to brag about in having one form over another.  These people don't have normal lives and their disease is what defines them and so they act as though this form is the "real" form and they go nit picking amongst other patients as though that one form gives their disease more validation than any other form and boy is this so off!!

We are ALL struggling with this illness and we are ALL trying our best to find answers for our problems and greater stability to our illness and if we can find doctors who are able to better treat us, then GREAT!!  

If Dr. Afrin is showing himself to be one of those doctors who has a strong belief in the MCAD diagnosis, then this is tremendous for we need these doctors as much as we need those who are strong in the SM diagnosis!  We are ALL sick with this stupid disease and the more doctors who can treat us, the better FOR ALL OF US!!

So, Jared, this is really great news and I'm thrilled for you!!   Please let him know that we patients are rooting for him to not only help you, but to continue helping all of us!!!

Way to go Dr. Afrin!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/07/11 at 16:53:59

If some people who have SM think they're special or that there's anything at all positive about this form of the disease, I'd like to be on the medicine they're taking!  As an SM sufferer, I have all the negatives of IA or MCAS.  Even though I often have great days, it's always looming in the background, and my daily existence is still limited by having to accommodate the SM.  In addition, there is more risk for my health and life, and I might have to do chemotherapy at some point.  If this is special and positive, I'd rather be ordinary and negative.  

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 05/08/11 at 01:23:44

I'm right there with you Joan!!!

It's one of those things I've not yet been able to understand or more like identify with and I was astounded when I heard another masto patient, who has been in this game for about 15 years say that there is this kind of weird competition amongst us as to who is "SM" and who isn't and those who are seem to think they belong to some special club or group and this makes them more important or special or whatever!!

In fact I've mentioned it before here but if you talk amongst some of those on the other sites, they list what they have behind their names much like doctors list their degrees!!   Yikes!!  

I've got 4 years of psychology due to my university studies for education for we depend a lot on psychology to help us identify learning difficulties and behavioral problems in children and their parents since this so interferes with children's well being in school and when I saw all the things listed after some people's names I thought, what on earth is that?  When this person told me I was shocked for the last thing any of us want, or more like, the last thing any mentally healthy person should want is to be identified by an illness.  Well, these people are not only identified by their illness, they also are defined by it for this is what they seem to show is most important about who they are.  Well, amidst a group of people we all try to identify who we are in that group, but this is one group that I, personally, am sorry that I had to join!!   I'm grateful for all of the friendships I've made and the way that you all have enriched my life and helped me when I've been most in need.  But as much as I don't like saying this, and I'm sure you will all agree with me, but I sure do wish we could have met one another on some other terms than these!!!    Why couldn't it have been a horse appreciation club or a cooking club or a basket weaving club or who knows what else?  Why did it have to be a club based upon being SICK?!!    I don't like the fact that I had to rejoice when my first positive answer came back and it pointed to masto!!   I didn't like that I was relieved when it was positive for masto and that took me out of the hot water for carcinoid!!   I don't like the fact that I've become a research subject for Harvard and that my son has now joined in with these researchers looking at us so closely!  

I WANT TO GO BACK TO ANONIMITY!!!!!!   I WANT TO GO BACK TO BEING NORMAL AND HEALTHY AND JUST PLAIN ME!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT......If I do have to live with this reality...THEN I'M GOING TO MAKE THE VERY BEST OF IT THAT I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I can't change my situation and it doesn't seem that God is going to intervene either, well then, I've got some CHOICES to make!!

So, I REFUSE to be defined by this disease.  Masto is NOT LISA and LISA is NOT MASTO!!   It is a part of my life and a very inconvenient part of my life and nothing I'm proud about!!    I'M A MOTHER!!!  I AM A WIFE!!   I'M A SCHOOL PRINCIPLE AND TEACHER!!  I'M AN AMERICAN!!  I AM A PASTOR'S WIFE!!!  And I am a number of other things!!!  I am NOT masto!!!   It is a mere inconvenience and I must learn to live with it and put it into it's proper place of importance in my life!!!

I think that especially for today I am going to do a something a bit different.

Happy Mother's days to you ladies!!!

LISA / jenny/chris/spencer Smiley

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/08/11 at 10:26:50

Hi GG-

I'm so happy that Dr. Afrin has been helpful to you & hopefully he will be even more so in the future. I was equally impressed with him (for different reasons) and was SHOCKED to see the nay-sayers and negativity thrown his way on this site.

I think that we, as a community, have to be careful not to "deify" just a few top docs. We want information about our disorders disseminated to ALL doctors. We want diagnostic & treatment capability readily available to all. When we have a top notch doc, who is reaching out to our community, IMHO we need to welcome him & give him a chance.  

Dr. Castells DXed me, but I had to delay my visit to her for several years until I was well enough to travel. A bit of an oxymoron- no? I had to heal and stabilize before I could see a doctor who could DX and treat me. That's sad and I want better for our community of sufferers.  

Keep us posted on your impressions, GG. I can't wait to hear more.  

Julie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 05/08/11 at 14:17:53

Julie,

I was one of the nay sayers, as you say.  And with reason.  MCAD is an extremely new diagnosis as I'm sure you know and unfortunately way too few doctors out there know about it.  Until Afrin came out with this new report, there was no way to know what side of the fence he was on and even who he was for in the masto world his name is brand new.  None of us know who he is and to send a patient from Canada all the way to South Carolina not certain that he even knows about MCAD is craziness, which is why we "nay sayers" were pushing for Dr. Castells and Akin.  Unfortunately too many patients have gone to the likes of Butterfield or Metcalfe and gone back home empty handed because they didn't fit the SM criteria.  In order to avoid this kind of risk, I for one would much rather send someone whom I KNOW has a reputation for believing in the MCAD diagnosis; Schwartz, Castells and Akin, than one who has no name within the masto arena.  Afrin is only now making his name known in the masto world.   I can say this with pretty firm convictions because I've spoken with many of the researchers out there.  When I am seeking for more recent information I will write personally to these researchers asking them for a copy of their work and I've spoken several times with Dr. Molderings and know his reputation.  This recent work out by both Molderings and Afrin is only in the past few months and Afrin has yet to become a household name.  This is why I was one of those who nay sayed Afrin.  But, this recent work of his shows that he's not only got an open mind as to MCAD, but that he has a very good hold upon masto in general and is indeed worth going to.  

So, please don't be hard upon us for nixing Dr. Afrin.  There was nothing out there to support our suggesting him as a valid option but now that he's proven that he knows what he's talking about, I am one who will most certainly support patients going to see him!

Lisa

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/08/11 at 15:37:05

Hi Lisa-

I don't mean to be hard on anyone. Please forgive me if that is your impression. I had read Dr. Afrin's article when it first came out AND witnessed his exceptional knowledge and caring when a friend of mine (not even his patient!) reached out to him with questions, etc. He freely spent hours of his time with her to offer help and is even traveling to her country to speak and educate physicians and sufferers there. I am beyond impressed.  

In light of my information, the comments here were shocking to me. I see where you are coming from- I hope you can better see where I am coming from.

I "met" Deborah on another forum when I was first seeking a DX. She graciously reached out to me and shared invaluable information. This forum is a wonderful resource for mast cell sufferers. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to learn from everyone here. I am offering no criticism- just sharing a differing opinion about a doctor that has impressed me. I think it is wonderful that you are open to changing your opinion and learning about a new physician.

I live in northeast Georgia. Having a MCAS/D doc, who is equally knowledgeable about all forms of mastocytosis, is a godsend to us in the southeastern US, especially for patients to ill or unstable to travel.

Please forgive me if I came off as critical- I was just trying to share information.

Peace-

Julie

IP Logged

Elisha Giesey
Rookie

Cherish every moment!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 05/10/11 at 15:17:49

Hi Everyone!
I don't post much but have been reading a lot of posts! I, too, see Dr. Afrin and have for almost 2 years now. My experiences with him have wavered between excellent and not-so-excellent (poor). I have done all of the "Afrin" trials: Aspirin therapy, gleevec, sprycel, and now, Tasigna. He is desperately searching for something that will help me, however, I haven't felt that way all along. My husband and I became quite concerned that I was becoming a "guinea pig". They are cute but, well, you know....
The Tasigna is working well for me so far (2 days...lol). I am 4 hours away from Dr. Afrin so my local hem/onc will be seeing me every 7 days for lab and EKG as required by the FDA. I return to Charleston (which I love) on June 13th.
I am available via PM to anyone who might want to discuss anything. xoxo

elisha.giesey  
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #8 - 05/10/11 at 15:31:07

Hi Elisha,

Welcome to the group!

Can I ask what your diagnosis is, who made it, and what evidence it was based on?  The reason I ask is because it seems (I could be mistaken) that Dr. Afrin tries a lot of drug therapies that are probably not appropriate for all patients with mast cell disorders... especially for patients with non-neoplastic MCAD.  I haven't even heard of sprycel or Tasigna before!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Elisha Giesey
Rookie

Cherish every moment!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 05/13/11 at 02:34:43

Hi Heather,
My diagnosis is Systemic Mastocytosis based on the WHO criteria but Dr. Afrin tends to lump everyone into "mast cell disease" or "mast cell activation disorder".  I also have hematological abnormalities. At this point I am willing to try anything to get some sort of relief. I use 3-4 epipens a week for anaphylaxis in addition to all of the other typical masto symptoms. I have been on all of the usual meds for 10 years but only recently seem to be getting worse, hence my dr's decision to refer me to Dr. Afrin.  Thanks for the warm welcome!

Elisha

elisha.giesey  
IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 05/13/11 at 06:03:47

Wow, Elisha- 3 to 4 epi-pens a week... That's a lot- so sorry. I'm sure you're also on all of the typical masto meds in addition to the experimental ones, right? Doxepin and atarx (not at the same time) have been godsends to me when I needed a little more control. Have you tried those yet?

Keep us posted on your impression of Dr. Afrin and if he's ultimately able to help. Lots of us in the Southeast would love a good doc here.

I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way that things will calm down.

Julie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print