Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need a new acid reducer (Read 5283 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
need a new acid reducer
05/06/11 at 07:24:22

Hey guys, I was doing pretty well for a while and week or so I have have awful heartburn, it is now hurting/burning to swallow food and drinks and my upper stomach is hurting after every meal. It even burned when I took some liquid benadryl. I also am burping a lot, and if I bend over to pick something, it starts hurting again.
I'm waiting to hear back from the gastro doctor to see what he recommends, I have not seen him since I was diagnosed so I hope he knows what masto is. In the mean time the pharmacist recommended
I switch to Famotidine twice daily instead of the 300mg of zantac twice daily. I worried about taking the wrong thing or taking to much of something. Also, I'm wondering if I need to switch my diet up till I get this under control. What should I eat? I am avoiding the no no's....spicy foods, acidic. I didn't seem to matter what I eat, it still hurts. Even rice! Any suggestions?
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: need a new acid reducer
Reply #1 - 05/06/11 at 16:03:41

What you're describing certainly sounds like acid reflux, in which acid and other contents of your stomach come back up the esophagus.  Usually a proton pump inhibitor, such as Prilosec, is prescribed.  There are others, too.  They cause the stomach to empty, so there's no food or acid in it.  Staying upright for a couple of hours after meals, eating small meals, and low acid foods might help.  Also, don't eat or drink anything besides water less than 2 hours before bed.

I personally find that taking 500 mg. of l-glutamine, twice a day, 1 Align probiotic/day, and 2000-2400 gdu bromelain (digestive enzyme) before meals, helps my digestive issues a lot.  Tums will stop the burning temporarily.  Should check with your doctor before starting any supplements, though.  Bromelain is made from pineapple stems, and pineapple is a trigger in some people.

I also found that Benadryl was helpful for too much acid in the stomach.  If you look up "low acid foods," you might find a diet that's less likely to cause a problem.  Are you sticking with the low histamine diet religiously?

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 05/07/11 at 06:49:39

Thanks Joan, The gastro doc proscribed prilosec. I'm kind of scared to take it though. I have been pretty good on the low histamine diet but I did have chocolate the other day, but it wasn't much and this has been going on for a week. But I was ovulating so I heard that ovulation and menes can trigger you. Maybe that played a part, I don't know. I did the tums last night and it helped. I am also find that drinking something warm or to cold is causing that burning pain between my breasts....thats where the heartburn mostly bothers me. Also I feel like some of my pills are getting stuck or taking a long time to go down my throat. This happen after my endoscopy last year. Must be all the irritation from the acid cause inflammation.
I will give those supplement a try. Thanks Joan!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 05/07/11 at 14:49:23

Hi Melissa,

Sorry to hear about the troubles.   Listen, going on a proton pump inhibitor isn't something that needs to be constant.  You can take it on an as needed basis, which is what I do.  I've had major issues with reflux and gone through some reflux crises and boy are they frightening because a reflux crisis can mimic a heart attack!  But even before I began having reflux crises I would still take my proselec on an as needed basis.

When I was first starting out, gastritis was one of the first findings we had with me, which totally took me by surprise!  Besides the endoscope I did I also did a PHmeter and a Manometer which are two exams which determine the levels of acid production and the contractability of your esophagus (respectively).  These exams showed my esophagus was working properly but my stomach was having reflux only during the day and not at night and that my levels were elevated.  This really bugged the doctors eyes out because he'd never seen that in a patient before and he didn't have a clue as to what it meant.  But these exams were important for the one rules out reflux due to a haital hernia and the other proves that there is too much acid in the stomach.

As to the antihistamines, I noticed, Melissa, as my masto came out of hiding all at once, it progressed in strength and as it progressed, my need for more antihistamines also corresponded.  I noticed that when I would begin having issues with gastritis it was due to my needing more antihistamines.  Gastritis and reflux are similar and yet not the same.  Your doctor needs to differentiate for you between the two of them for if it's reflux, then the proton pump inhibitor is really the best means to deal with this and this can be dealt with on an as-needed basis for reflux doesn't always happen on a full time basis.  If it's gastritis, then you may be needing high H2 blockers.  

So, talk with your gastro, see if he can run these other exams on you and find out some answers and then depending upon them, he can adjust your meds accordingly.

As to your present situation, taking the prosilec on an as-needed basis can be a REAL BLESSING!!   So you might want to consider it in this form.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/07/11 at 17:12:14

Prilosec shouldn't be taken lightly, but the effects of reflux can be harmful if allowed to continue unabated.  The acid can cause permanent damage to your esophagus.  The pain you have could be from inflammation there caused by the stomach acid.  

If you Google "GERD" there's a lot of information available.  The GERD diet excludes chocolate, peppermint, tomato products, caffeine, alcohol, and fried/fatty foods.  The supplements won't cure reflux, but they do reduce inflammation, re-populate your system with good digestive bacteria, and the bromelain is helpful for digesting protein and fat so that it doesn't sit in your stomach for a long period of time.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 05/09/11 at 13:00:03

Hi Missy
This is what I would do;
prilosec 40 mg at night for one month then stop--and then take on an as needed basis
go back to your zantac!! 300 mg, twice a day!.. its works in more than one way--to help your tummy AND its also an antihistamine too... it does double duty and I can tell you--I forgot to pickup my meds for 2 days, no zantac in them--I was MISERABLE! Tummy cramps , diarrhea, vomiting, you know how it goes.. Dont let your fear keep you reacting and doing so badly. TRY IT ok?? Just for 3 days and see how you feel Smiley
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 05/10/11 at 17:46:00

Thanks Ramona, Lisa and Joan. Lisa, I will definetly ask the doc about those tests. When I had the endoscopy, the findings said mild gastris, errosion at the GE junction and esophagitis. I don't know whats going on but I woke up with hives this morning on one of my arms and they itch pretty good, it's been awhile since I have had many hives. I live in the Pacific Northwest and they keep saying this is one of the worst allergy seasons ever. Wondering if this causing my to be more sensitive and have more reactions.

Melissa

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 05/10/11 at 17:49:35

Oh and Lisa, I don't have heartburn at night either. It's been after lunch and after dinner and then it goes away. Unless, I'm bending over then it starts up.
Most of my symptoms are worse in the afternoon, like flushing and getting hot, heartburn. Very strange, mostly between the hours of 3pm to 7pm.
Melissa

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 05/11/11 at 02:06:54

Melissa:
I had some luck on an as needed basis with dual action Tums. Used to use Pepecid complete until they pulled it. It at some time will be back but dual action Tums has same ingrediants. Available now at Walgreens.
Mike V

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #9 - 05/11/11 at 06:00:36

Pepcid Complete has returned to Target... at least in my town Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear