Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swelling- What Can I Do? (Read 3580 times)
Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Swelling- What Can I Do?
05/03/11 at 08:08:55

I am still in the process of diagnosis, so don't know just what I have, and don't have all the medications on board. I am currently taking Zantac 300 mg twice a day and Zyrtec 10 mg twice a day, plus benedryl, Zantac, or Zyrtec extra when needed.

This is helping many symptoms, but I am still having a lot of swelling. The last few days I have been stiff all over, and have a hard time with small motor skills with my hands due to overall swelling, worst along the veins, where fluid seems to be leaking out into the tissue, but also just general swelling. My hands and legs and feet are aching. My feet and ankles are swollen enough that I have a hard time getting my shoes on, and I can see little blood vessels breaking in my ankles.

Even my face feels stiff, and is swollen around my eyes.

Is there anything I can do until the doctors decide what to give me? The pain is bad enough that I would take more pain medication, except everyone is telling me the pain medication may be causing reactions. I don't tolerate NSAIDS.

Is there anything I can do that might help bring the swelling down?

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Swelling- What Can I Do?
Reply #1 - 05/03/11 at 10:52:46

Hi Susan,

Unfortunately, there are numerous causes of swelling.  If yours is not responding to antihistamines (even a little bit), then it's probably not caused by mast cell degranulation.  It could be hereditary or acquired angioedema... it could be related to your kidneys or your heart...  Has anyone in your family experienced this kind of swelling?  

Also... remind me... are you taking an ACE inhibitor?  Those alter your bradykinin levels, but they give some people angioedema.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/03/11 at 13:22:48

Hi Heather,

Truthfully, I don't know for sure if the antihistamines doing anything for the swelling. It would  be possible to be even more swollen, and I have been. It is just such overall swelling today. The antihistamines are helping many things, and some days I need to take more to maintain the levels of improvement I now know they can do. For example, I am not having nearly the GI swelling I often have when I am in reaction.

Still, it does not mean for sure I am having the swelling due to histamine levels. We may know soon, as I just completed a 24 hour urine histamine level yesterday.

I also have infections that could cause the swelling. And I have a heart condition, but the cardiologist didn't think the swelling was due to that. Doesn't mean he is right, for sure, but it isn't the kind of swelling they look for, with pitting edema. It is more a hard, firm, overall swelling, that isn't always obvious when looking at it, or even feeling it. One of my doctors told me it was just the way I was made, indicating my feet, for example, were fat. But fat does not leave overnight, showing my feet to be essentially the same thin feet they usually are, with ankles where you can see the bones, instead of the big, misshapen feet and ankles when they swell.

Same with my belly. I can go from looking six months pregnant, to having an almost flat belly. Yes, I am overweight, but not as bad as it sometimes looks.

The swelling is not familial, except my son gets the same swelling around his eyes when he is having allergy reactions. I did have a lot of swelling as a child, when I would get hives, or my eyes would swell shut from exposures. I also had a lot of sensitivities around my belly, and I suspect I was having abdominal reactions, but no one noticed. I was unable to tolerate any pressure on my abdomen, and would tear off my diapers, and later any pants that were put on me, because I hated the waistband pressure. I still hate it, though I don't tend to tear off my clothes in public any more!

I don't take ACE inhibitors. I am taking morphine, which everyone is telling me is bad, but I cannot change that suddenly, and wouldn't till we know for sure what is going on. I am supposed to start back on Minocycline (antibiotic), which I take in low doses for the infections. I have been off that for six weeks, and should start again soon, but am waiting until some more testing is done.

Susan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/03/11 at 15:02:10

I thought about this some more, and have a theory. I have some genetic issues that means my body cannot easily clear toxins. I do not make enough of the active form of B12, certain antigens are not recognized by my body, and are therefor not removed, and I don't make enough glutathione. This all means toxins can take a long time to clear from my system.

On Sunday I was doing a 24 hour urine test for histamine and 5HIIA, and was trying not do do anything that would alter the results artificially, so I didn't do some of the things I might to help with reactions. I noticed even though I was drinking plenty of water, that I was hardly peeing any out. I was actually worried about whether I would have enough for the test.

On Monday morning I finished the test, and was itching like crazy all over. I had some places I was getting raw because I couldn't stop itching completely. Because I was finished with the testing, I took an extra Zyrtec for the first time. In the past, I hadn't noticed the antihistamines helped with itching, but with three Zyrtec in one day, it really calmed it down.

I went in to work for the afternoon, and was having a lot of flushing. I almost always flush the whole time I am in my work office, so there must be something I am reacting to in the environment there. I also found my feet hurting more and more, and swelling throughout the day.

I didn't take any more antihistamines, because I was already at a higher level than ever before. I had to keep increasing my Zantac dose, because I would start to get symptoms back in three or four hours, and this was the first day I had taken three Zyrtec.

My legs, feet, and hands hurt all night and into today, and I had disturbing dreams, and didn't sleep well. I often have this after working, and I know for me it is another sign of an exposure.

However, the itching has stayed pretty good today, and the tachycardia, shortness of breathe, chest pain, tachycardia, gut, and other symptoms the antihistamines have been working with stayed good today.

I am wondering two things. Could it be that as whatever I am reacting to works its way out, that area reacts? Skin and lungs are two ways the body releases toxins, as is the GI tract. If my system doesn't release toxins well, maybe it takes a long time for things to work their way through.

Second, maybe I am still not high enough in my antihistamine doses. So far, I had been thinking they wouldn't help the itching, but yesterday, with higher dose Zantac and Zyrtec, it virtually stopped, going from severe itching and rashing to almost nothing in a few hours. Before, I didn't think antihistamines did anything for any of my symptoms, until I read about mast cell issues, and tried higher doses. Once I took the higher doses, two years of terrible shortness of breath, chest pain, and tachycardia were gone in hours. Maybe I need higher regular doses, and then it would hold off the swelling?

This is all just theory, as I don't even know for sure I have issues with histamine or mast cells, but would it make sense, as far as how these things work?

Susan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 05/03/11 at 15:11:05

I just want to say something about the use of morphine, opioids, NSAIDs and aspirins.

On the TMS conference 2009 CDs (thanks Heather for those!) Dr. Escribano openly states that these are not problems for everyone!  There are those who do and can tolerate them and if so, then there is no reason not to use them.

He also stated that not everybody has a problem with contrast!  

This information came as a shock to me for I was under the impression from my doctor that these are to be avoided at all costs.  Well, I know my body is super sensitive to things like this but I do and can tolerate NSAIDs and Aspirin and so I do take them, but I am CAREFUL.  The others I don't dare.  

So, this is a matter of to each his own, but it's best to be forewarned!!
THE POTENTIAL is there!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/03/11 at 15:36:44

Lisa, that is such a relief to know!!! Changing opiod medications is very unpleasant, as I have cause to know. When my insurance dropped my first pain medication, I was switched to methadone, which can be used for pain as well as to work with narcotic addiction.

It made me absolutely miserable! My abdomen hurt all the time. It helped pain, but it just wasn't worth it. I finally got my doctor to switch me to morphine, and everything was SO much better. But the transition, both times, was very hard. I wonder now if I was reacting to the methadone?

Each drug hits different opiod receptors in the body. So you have to wean up and down, even when you are just changing over to another drug that should have equivalent levels of pain control. And you go through partial withdrawal until you are stabilized on the new drug.

This is how I know for sure I can't just stop. But it is a relief to know it may  not be a problem with mast cell degranulation.

Susan

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/03/11 at 17:38:00

Susan, I probably have nothing additional to add, When I bloat more It typically signifies I'm "reacting" more sensitive, the bod is ticked off at something so I do up my antihistimines. In my humble opinion problem of histimine or mast cell degran is the same you need antihistimines! I'm glad you noticed relief in your itching! My nausea is so much better with the added zantac and extra allegra. You are quite in tune with yourself just keep at figuring this out. do you tolerate carbonated water at all? Absolutely no scientific backing here but I swear a couple of glasses of it helps me sometimes. I've heard it alters the ph of our system and the histimine can't stick around. If you tolerate it and it won't interfere with any conditions you have possibly give it a try. I hate pufferfish mode. It's so frustrating! The antihistimines you are taking are you taking at a pretty "regular" schedule? Or should I say consistent schedule? I swear my body flips out pretty quick if I'm "behind" in taking my meds more than an hour, and then the "get better" time is prolonged.

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 05/03/11 at 18:39:47

Sandi, thanks for the ideas! My doctor suggested Alka Seltzer Gold for reactions, I wonder if it is similar to the carbonated water? It isn't the Alka Seltzer with  aspirin, it also alkalizes the system, and actually tastes a lot like carbonated water. I didn't think about it for the swelling, but I'm going to give it a try.

I have found it makes a difference if I am taking the antihistamines at regular intervals. That is what made me notice the Zantac at 150 mg was not enough. It would stop the chest pain for 4-6 hours, and then it would come back. At first I was taking an extra 150 at that point, but realized I might do better taking more twice a day. Since switching to taking 300 mg, I am not getting the break through chest pain.

I thought I was taking enough Zyrtec at twice a day, but maybe not. I may need to pick up some Allegra. Deborah mentioned it, and I was thinking I might see if adding that would do more good. Sometimes taking different meds, even of the same type, treats more symptoms. It is just so counter intuitive to me, to take so much! It makes me a little nervous, as I don't have a doctor overseeing this, just a couple that said it is OK to try.

Are you taking the Allerga in addition to the Zyrtec twice a day, or instead of one of the doses? Sorry if you already mentioned this. It is hard to keep track of everything.

I'm really hoping something comes through with my allergist in my testing. All the tests are done, now I have to wait for results.

Susan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print