Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Afrin, benadryl--funny feeling in heart, my laundry list of ?'s (Read 8492 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Dr. Afrin, benadryl--funny feeling in heart, my laundry list of ?'s
04/28/11 at 12:49:22

I'm new here and just in a hard time.  I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old.  I got sick very suddenly in December and it's been a really hard time for our family.  I just wanted to ask some questions if that's okay.  I have POTS, dysautonomia, and then lately figured out I have UP/cutaneous masto.  BUT....I have high methyllhistamines in my urine and a normal tryptase.  Sorry I say this every time but I'm new here and I figured I give my lab stuff so people know.  
My local doc is wanting to do CT scans of my chest, pelvis, abdomen and I just don't feel comfortable.  My CBC's are normal.  I guess I'm just reaching out here.  Lisa, sweet Lisa, has helped me so much but I feel bad asking her all the time.  I really hate subjecting myself to all this radiation if not necessary.  Well I'd rather get 2 bmb's than get these ct scans honestly.  If this is the standard workup for all of us, then I'll give in.  Just wanted to see if this is what we all have to get.

Secondly, I am planning on trying to see Dr. Afrin, God willing, in June.  I live in South Florida.  I'm not stable enough to get on a plane to the best people in Boston.  People on here don't seem to prefer him but I can't find anything bad about the guy and he's reasonably close to my house.

Lastly, I was taking Claritin and I felt like I was reacting to it.  I had a really bad episode 2 weeks ago.  I started taking Claritin every day and I just wouldn't get better.  I stopped taking the Claritin b/c that was the newest addition in my life.  That helped me some.  Then I started taking Singulair and that helped a little although my adrenaline surges are something else!!  They are tough.   I feel like I'm reacting to the silliest things.  Lettuce, honeydew, Claritin for pete's sake.  I lived my whole life doing pretty well although I got hives all the time.  Now I can't really eat much or I'm really ill.  I bought some zyrtec but I'm scared to take it because I took benadryl the other night and it made my heart feel really strange.  Like it was pumping really slowly or something.  Ugh!  It was awful!!  I went back to taking 6 mg of my beta blocker b/c my tachycardia was really hard to deal with.  

Do these antihistamines cause weird feelings in the heart?  I want to get help for the mast cell stuff but I'm scared now to take any of the meds.

Thank you all for reading and helping in any way.

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dr. Afrin, benadryl--funny feeling in heart, my laundry list of ?'s
Reply #1 - 04/28/11 at 13:46:51

Just an outside idea sweetie, but possibly your potassium/magnesium levels are low? That gives me tachy bigtime. Another one of those weirdo things I just know when I feel a certain way, I need potassium, and also salt my food. If you are low in potassium then your body depletes sodium to match it, vice versa. You are in that whirlwind of figuring things out. I'm allergic/sensitive whatever the word today is to almost all fruits and vegetables, and have been for about 20 years. Reactions vary depending upon the irritant. Possibly just concentrate on having cooked ones for a bit. Also the types of lettuce may vary as far as  bothering you. Possibly try romaine or butter lettuce. Occasionally I can have a piece or two of those.Especially the butter lettuce thats grown in the container, you add water and it "lives" for a bit in your fridge? Possibly as I said just concentrate on cooked ones, it breaks down some of the enzymes that may be ticking your bod off.  I'm stupid sensitive to medications too, I reacted to claritin, zyrtec, I take allegra, and am super duper excited to have found a zantac I can take Cheesy  for me the inert ingredients make a huge difference. If I'd tried a certain brand of allegra first I'd have thought I couldn't take it. Luckily I was taking teva pharma's first then the pharmacy switched to Dr Readdy's and I had a horrible reaction. It's so scary isn't it the onslaught of symptoms, we have some girls on here with POTS, they can address that. Plenty of us with tachy issues. Just try right now to keep your food simple with the least amount of ingredients as to not overwhelm your gastro system. (there's plenty of mast cells in there to tick off) Even with no food allergies/sensitivities it's a good idea when you are a mess. Less work for the body, to identify chicken and rice rather than all the ingredients in a big mac! Or chicken cordon bleu and hollandise sauce Smiley Oh another idea on the tachy, possibly is you need a lower dosage. Maybe 1/2 the dosage. My two cents on a whole lot of topics, If dr Afrin is all you can get to get to him. I understand about travel being difficult!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 04/29/11 at 03:32:21

Jared,

Don't be silly, sweety, you're not asking too much and i"m all too happy to help you!!

This is quick cause I've got to run -   Those CTs are really very necessary for two reasons - one is that the doctors really need to see how your organs are doing.  This is because the disease can indeed invade certain organs and tissues and this is the very best way to make sure that things are fine!!    The second reason is as a baseline.   A baseline is the first reading of something and from that point on if any changes occurr then they can see those changes and compare as to how things were before!   I've had changes and when things went back to normal we knew it due to the exams.  

Don't worry about he radiation - you have to weigh the risks as to what is more threatening   A couple of CTS only once in a while, or not see that something more immanent and life threatening is going on???    The chances of those few CTs causing issues are not high.  You and your doctors need to make sure the mast cells are not damaging anything and this is the safest way to do so.  The BMB will not say anything as to how your liver, pancrease, spleen and lymph nodes are doing!  This is why we do these scans.   However, before taking any scans with contrast, you must be premedicated!!

Hugs!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/02/11 at 04:59:30

OK here is my two cents--You are right to be concerned about the amount of radiation BUT.. you can solve it easily--Newest standards say you are only suppose to have 2 CAT scans done your whole lifetime--unless you are in an emergency. I would say to you, have it done BUT have it ALL done in one CAT scan see?

Next that tachycardia.. Thats from the masto hon and you MUST come off that beta blocker or it will hurt you in the end.. You have to do it extremely SLOWLY, tapering a very small amount at a time over a long time period. It took me 5 months to do it! IF you also have high blood pressure then your doctor needs to look at Cardizem, which is a calcium channel blocker that masto patients do very well on it. You MUST taper off and start the new med under a Drs care and strict supervision or it can cause heart failure ok??

IF you dont need a med for high blood pressure, then realize the tachycardia will be there, we cant do a thing about that--I was always told, learn to live with it--BUT, new NIH studies have found that masto patients with tachycardia respond very well to Verapamil (Calan). I am going to talk to my Dr about trying it on my next appt.... I can tell you that even though I still have the tachycardia, its getting a bit less and I now dont seem to activate it while sitting and resting, just on exertion, hope that helps!

Have you been tested and cleared for Carcinoid syndrome? Make sure they do that.

Dont be afraid to take your masto meds... some of the problems youre having were probably already on the way to showing symptoms and the med and reaction were just coincidental--but still be careful ok...

And remember to try ONE new med at a time and always in the AM not at night. I think youre trying too many new things too close together. Go back to what you KNOW works for you then add ONE med at a time--over a 3 days time period, nothing else new. Make SURE you talk to your doctor about this.

Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 05/02/11 at 06:57:46

ONLY 2 CT'S?????  

Well, I have a feeling then that I could light up my entire town just on how much I must be glowing cause I have 5 CTs in my first year of searching!!!!!

I've been through 3 CTs and 1 MRI just in the 6 months after my surgery! I've also had a nuclear study about 6 or 7 Xrays and even a bone density exam!   I've got an orthopedist asking for another CT for my back and then I also have to do another CT in a while to look at my vascular system!!!   I've done a total of about 10 CTs in the past 4 years!!!  

Yet, I still say, I will continue to confront them if this is what I must do for I know where the real threats to my health are coming from and the radiation is not it!  It's my aneurysms and these are what I must protect myself against.  Each of us must consider where the real threat is coming from, and for some of us, doing one CT a year is not going to push you over the edge, especially a baseline study.

When our doctors submit us to these exams, they must take a look not only as to whether there is any organ damage happening, but they need to consider the fact that our lymph nodes deep within our body as well as our skeletal system may be under attack.  Masto can be aggressive and it can do real damage - it's rare, but it does happen and when your doctors are doing your workup they must find out what your baseline is and how your body is being affected and whether or not you are in danger.  They have very necessary exams they need to ask for in order to rule out whatever the disease may be doing to you so that they can then take steps to fight the disease if it is indeed in an aggressive form and you are in danger.  Once they can determine that your life is not in danger, then they can relax and take a different approach with your treatment.  But in the beginning,t his is what must be done - it is correct procedure.  

Remember, your doctor is not your enemy.  He's on your side trying to find out what is wrong with you in the best manner possible.  Our doctors don't know and can't know what is wrong just cause you sat in his chair.  He's as blind and dumb as you are as to what the matter is.  He can't see what the problem is and he must use the exams as a means to give him vision as to what is going on with you.  Based upon these exames, he begins to paint a picture as to what is the matter.  

Remember also that what is so shocking to us and takes a while for us patients to wake up to is that we are no longer typical people who have a cold or flu and when we go to the doctor our problem is simple and easy to resolve.  A gyno doesn't have any difficulty diagnosing that a woman is pregnant in her 9th month, but he does when she's only 1 or 2 along cause then he's blind and he can only go by her symptoms and his touch.  Well, our doctors can't even rely upon their touch, which speaks reams to a physician.

When we go into a doctor with a constellation of symptoms like we patients present to them, there are hordes of diseases which produce like symptoms and it's then a situation of where they must INVESTIGATE us, trying everything they can within their knowledge to find out what is wrong with us!!!

My gyno KNEW that something wasnt right with me a week following my release from the hospital after my hsyterectomy.  I had begun complaining of dyspnea and fainting and when I went into his office for my 1st post-op checkup I went into anaphylaxis right there!  I about fainted in his arms!  He hospitalized me immediately and began his searching - he had 3 definite things he needed to rule out first:  infection, anemia and a pulmonary embolism!!!   That search landed me in the ICU because they found a subdural hemorrhage, which is common enough for a hysterectomy, but it was the behavior that accompanied it which freaked the doctors out because they no sooner asked me to hold my breath when I I fainted right away and they almost couldn't pull me out of it!  They didn't find any pulmonary embolism but I had a 2 day stint in the ICU due to this.  My gyno hadn't the slightest idea of what was wrong and he ended up hospitalizing me twice more before I began to gain headway.  It was anaphylaxis all three times but it took as a full year to find out this much!!  In that time period my gyno sent me to all of his colleagues he could and they kept tripping up on the hysterectomy thinking it had caused psychossomatic symptoms!  Yet, when my gyno got fed up with the stupidity of his colleagues, he took my case back in hand cause I was in his office when I went into a mini crisis and he saw me turn such a deep, strong red along with such a strong, gripping dyspnea that I about passed out and it lasted a full 5 or so minutes and he sat there observing me with such a serious look on his face - gathering clues!  He was CONVINCED something was dreadfully wrong and he used those clues and began RESEARCHING and it was a mere GYNO who was who put the clues together and raised the flag for either the carcinoid syndrome or masto and from that point on, we took it from there and began YEARS of medical testing and investigating where I have challenged every single doctor who has had me in his office!!

My friends, what we go through is an INVESTIGATION.  It's very hard work for our doctors for they are TOTALLY BLIND especially if they've never even heard of the disease before!   Our cases are probably the most challenging cases our doctors will ever have in their ENTIRE careers!!   It is incredibly HARD WORK for them!

So, I realize that we all are freaked out of our minds over these situations we are living in, but believe me, our doctors are really doing their very best to try to find the answers for us and they are ON OUR SIDES!!

So, in considering all of this, remember, you've got to coorperate with your doctors, within reason, for they are trying to find the answers.   Those of us who have been through an extensive workup are here trying to help you not only to protect yourselves, but to also help you know if your doctors do indeed understand what they are doing, for so many do not and they get understandably lost.  This way, with some of our help, we can help you and your families more secure that yes, your doctors are indeed helping you.  

Well, I've talked too much once again!  Sorry Gang!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/02/11 at 07:16:21

Sorry you are having such a hard time! It is difficult when you have multiple health issues that may have conflicting needs.

First, about your concerns with your heart, and the medications. I have a heart condition that can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, including tachycardia. Both my cardiologist and my allergist told me that Zyrtec is one of the safest antihistamines for my heart. In fact, since I have been taking that and Zantac in high doses, my tachycardia and other heart symptoms have improved tremendously!

Now, you may not be the same, but I can tell you that I have a different response to Zyrtec than I do to benedryl. Not that I have a bad reaction to benedryl, but if your doctor has approved Zyrtec, it is worth giving it a try. My resting heart rate has gone from 100-120 down to 75-80. I can't tell you how much more relaxed that allows me to be! I also no longer have my heart rate skyrocketing when I do ANYTHING, even just standing up or walking across the room. What a relief!!!

On reacting to foods, it isn't always the food itself you react to. I can't eat melons, because they are usually moldy (not a lot, but enough for me to react, because I am very sensitive to mold.) Melons also have a chemical structure that lets them cross react with ragweeds. This has been a heavy allergy season, so if you are sensitive to pollens, it may be making your food reactions worse for now.

Lettuces are heavily sprayed with pesticides. It is possible you aren't reacting to the lettuce, but to the pesticides. When I first got sick, I couldn't even go into a grocery store for almost a year. The stores smelled like chemicals and death, all the pesticides on the produce, all the plastics, all the scents, all the rotting vegetables and worst of all, rotting meat!! Now I am OK, as long as I don't go in the isles with candles or other scented products. You might find you could eat some things if they are organically grown. For me it can make a huge difference with the things most heavily sprayed, like lettuce, strawberries, peaches, oranges, broccoli, etc. It is still possible to react to the food itself, so you have to be careful in trying things.

Over time you will learn more about the mast cell issues, and get things more under control. Right now, you are new, trying to learn, and handling your children and your life. That is a lot, so be easy on yourself. Hopefully, as you find what treatments help, you will be feeling better.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/02/11 at 07:19:49

Lisa, is there a reason why they need to do a CT scan, rather than an MRI? I haven't gotten anywhere near this stage in my diagnosis yet, and have only had to have one CT scan so far, but have had many MRIs and ultrasounds.

Susan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 05/02/11 at 07:20:07

Lisa I agree with you 100%... I think, that as Masto patients, when a doctor asks for a CAT scan, say yes.. but tell them to do the ENTIRE BODY at once because we run a high risk of needing many more areas scanned-and that one CAT scan can be shared for all areas/doctors...  I think this is another area where we are writing our own rules for procedures.. (most doctors only scan one small area, that has to change with us).

And of course, anytime there is something critical going on (like your cardiac surgery) the number of scans doesnt matter then, it is secondary importance.

Love ya Girl
Ramona

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 05/02/11 at 10:20:13

Susan,

To the best of my knowledge, there are certain tissues which are better seen in a CT, the blood vessels is one area.  I believe that the soft tissues are better seen, but don't quote me on that!

Lisa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 05/02/11 at 10:27:53

Well, since I am an honor student of Google University I decided to go and and good old Dr. Google himself for this question and here is what he said to me:

MRI vs CT Scan

One of the more common questions about MRI vs CT scan asked by patients is what's the difference between CT and MRI? Why should I have a CT instead of an MRI? Or why should I have an MRI instead of a CT?

These are very common questions and imaging professionals like us have the answers. The answers come from 2 other very important questions....

1. What part of the body does your doctor want to see? AND

2. What's the reason for the exam?

CT Scan does not show you tendons and ligaments very well at all; at least not yet. MRI is the best choice for that. Tendons and ligaments around the shoulder and knee are best seen by the physics used in MRI. This is due to the density of the tissues that compose the tendons and ligaments.

Spinal cord is best seen by MRI for the same reason. The density of the spinal cord and the composition of it is such that MRI physics can show it to us much better than CT.

There are also reasons why CT is the exam of choice over MRI. It is the preferred modality for cancer, pneumonia, and abnormal chest x-rays. Bleeding in the brain, especially from injury, is better seen on CT than MRI. But a tumor in the brain is better seen on MRI. Many people suffer from ringing in the ears; CT displays the inner auditory canals well and there are natural remedies available to relieve it.

If you've been in an accident, organs can get torn or damaged. CT shows organ tear and organ injury quickly and efficiently. Broken bones and vertebral bodies of the spine are better seen on CT but injury to the spinal cord itself is displayed on MRI far better than CT.

CT is far superior at visualizing the lungs and organs in the chest cavity between the lungs. MRI is not a good tool for visualizing the chest or lungs at all.

MRI vs CT scan depends on what needs to be visualized and the reason you need the test. Radiologists are the doctors that specialize in reading images of the body and therefore know which test is best for showing anatomy according to the reason for the exam. Very experienced CT and MRI technologists will also know from working with Radiologists.

The difference in the way the images are produced in MRI vs CT is the physics involved. CT scan uses an x-ray beam that slices through you like a knife carving a spiral ham.

MRI ( magnetic resonance imaging) uses a magnetic field with radio frequencies introduced into it. When your body is placed inside the magnetic field, the molecules of water in your body (hydrogen molecules) will start to spin like a kid's top when he spins it. The top will begin to wobble as it slows down.

Your hydrogen molecules will start to wobble just like the top does at a certain rate of speed; the stronger the magnetic field, the faster they will wobble and the weaker the magnetic field, the slower they will wobble; it depends on the strength of the magnetic field.

Then a radio frequency is introduced into the magnetic field at the same rate of speed at which the "tops wobble" causing the wobbling tops and radio frequency to sing out together sharing the same signal frequency. (Thus the term resonance) That signal is used by the MRI computer to produce the image.

http://www.ct-scan-info.com/mrivsctscan.html

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 05/02/11 at 10:33:38

Well,  I just learned something very important at least for me.  The last time I did an MRI, I flushed and it made me faint!  I did NOT have any bad reacting and I had no contrast, but it did cause me to do some reacting and I wondered why!  I thought perhaps it was the "nervousness" but heck, I've been through SO MANY exams and procedures and after open heart surgery, an MRI is a walk in the park!  So I was baffled to why the reacting!   It's the way those hydrogen molecules must wobble!!!  They must somehow get the mast cells to get a bit animated as well without out and out triggering them.   And if I remember, little Brie also had issues and I think that in SOME OF US who are just extra sensitive, this makes full sense!  

Interesting theory anyway!

Lisa

IP Logged

Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Reply #11 - 05/02/11 at 14:51:30

Wow Lisa!  finally a possible answer as to why Brie DID react with her MRI and no contrast.  I like the way you process through things and think of all possibilites Smiley

Kim

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 05/02/11 at 19:29:27

Interesting info on the MRI/CT scan differences! Thanks for finding all of that, Lisa.

So it sounds like, with the CT, you must decide how strong the possibility is that you may have a particular problem, and how much the risk is of using the CT scanner. It is really the case with all treatments, it is just that most treatments have very little risk, and a good chance of helping.

Ramona, I don't think that a whole body CT scan would have the same risk as a more focused scan. Don't they run the xrays in overlapping circles of radiation? If they were doing the entire body, there would be much more exposure than if they just did an organ, or a body segment.  I think I personally would still try to limit its use, unless there was good reason to be looking. But I tend to be conservative with those types of things.

Susan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #13 - 05/05/11 at 16:29:44

I honestly dont know.. Maybe someone with experience or someone who knows a tech might chime in here.
Hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 05/05/11 at 20:57:37

Then there's the PT scan....  Has anyone had any experience with that?  I had one about 15 years ago with no problem, when I had SM, but was undiagnosed.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print