Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Midwest US storms causing histamine headaches! (Read 3976 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Midwest US storms causing histamine headaches!
04/19/11 at 16:37:09

So we had storms here in Indiana all morning and now at 11:30 pm, wr have even more severe ones. Looks like I will be on lightening strike duty half the night! (In the Midwest, we have 2 dangers to watch for with our storms - tornadoes and lightening strike fires setting your house on fire. So the question becomes when to be in the basement and when not to!

Either way, the storms have apparently caused me to have a histamine headache. I thought it was a normal headache and tool my extra strength excedrin, but that didn't work. So, it must be a histamine headache! Just took an extra allegra to see if that will work. It's so strange (yet interesting) how things like storms can trigger us!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Midwest US storms causing histamine headaches!
Reply #1 - 04/19/11 at 17:21:47

I've noticed that too!  What do you think the reason is... the change in air pressure??  That could also help to explain why air travel has become so hard on me.  They pressurize the cabins, but it's not as much pressure as you have at ground level.

Heather

ps - Stay safe, Deb.  We have a tornado watch until 3am...

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/19/11 at 17:34:36

When we get our monsoons I get them too, Barometric pressure changes also contribute to migraines. I become the "storm whisperer"
Antihistamines haven't helped em so far!!! Mine will come on way before it looks as if it's going to storm at all, ( monsoons are much different than the midwestern storms)  So dodging a tornado has a bit more stress and could activate brain masties Smiley Stay Safe Deb! I used to live in southern Illinois farm country, I don't miss those nights in the basement or on watch!!! We do have extreme lightening and flash floods with our storms. I'm neurotic and used to make everyone off the land lines, tv off ( from my Illinois days) this is pre home computers and everyone having a cell phone!  Well one evening it was storming, DH was on the phone and I was nagging get off, get off the phone, and lightening hit and thank God did not blow a giant hole in the house but it traveled the electrical lines and the oven door blew open, the heating element was in pieces! I can't remember what else we lost but it was a lot! But thankfully we were all fine..... no longer do I get the rolled eyes Cheesy

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 04/19/11 at 19:06:51

Lightning is bad in Colorado, too!  We've lost a lot of electronics from it.

When I lived in the midwest and mid-south, I had a lot of masto problems from fronts moving through.  I agree that the pressure changes cause some of it.  My allergist out there told me that just before a rain, you know that great smell outside.... It's a gazillion mold spores being released into the air.  I know that triggered me a lot.

Hope you're safe and getting some sleep tonight, Debbie.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 04/20/11 at 15:22:47

Believe it or not, gang, Brazil is the lightening capital of the world!!   We've had several really close ones this summer!!  We've got the unplugging of everything down to a science!!   I've been in two buildings that were struck and both buildings had HOLES blown either into the concrete and brick walls and also had the terra cotta tiles blown to smitherenes!!    Scared the absolute WILLIES out of me!!!    Yet we don't have fire threat due to the fact that our buildings are made of brick and stucco walls and brick and concrete floors and ceilings and of course the terra cotta tiles don't burn, but boy will they fly and explode!!    But I live on the top of a hill and this is par for the course.   Yet, I prefer living on the hill top instead of in the valley for then we'd have flash flooding to have to worry about!!  Torrential tropical storms have their down sides!!!   Roll Eyes

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print