Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
eyes/lashes (Read 6215 times)
starfish
Tutor

Ohio
eyes/lashes
03/30/11 at 08:39:27

I was wondering if you are having any eye issues. I always have red/dry eyes but in the past few months, my eyes  have been more red/swollen, crusty than normal. Then, my eyelashes are a mess....thinning, broken....  I haven't changed any makeup/etc. I did start taking Singulair on a regular basis and wondering if that is the problem?  Eye MD has no idea, but prescribed some drops.  Angry

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Re: eyes/lashes
Reply #1 - 03/30/11 at 09:51:42

Hi Starfish ,

I think a new eye MD should have a look at your tear ducts as they may be blocked . I also think a full assessmnet of your eyes would also be wise .

I think several or a combination of eye issues could be happening with you . These are the most common ;- Inflammation of the eyelids is blephritis and specific ointments are prescribed . Also swollen eyes need looking at for several reasons . Conjunctivitis is typically bacterial but other virus' or just good old inflammation can be the cause . The problem can in in your eyes or in tissues surrounding your eyes .

These are exams any decant eye MD should do Wink

Eyes have mast cells so the effects of histamine can be felt here too . Excuse my memory but are you a patient of Dr Castells or the other specalists ?

I have dry eye , but I know this following full examination by an eye doctor here in the UK . I spent a period of time working in an eye clinic so my thoughts come from this experience .

You may find you have become sensitive to something in your makeup or they have changed the formulation . Whilst your eyes are so poorly I would be inclined to not wear any makeup especially mascara and eye shadow . As its akin to rubbing it in an open area . Even the most hypoallergenic of makeups will irritate already sore eyes .

I can't tolerate any products in my eyes even no tears bay shampoos

My partner is a stone mason and has sore eyes even when using goggles . I bathe his eyes in saline salt  in boiled water ( cooled ) with cotton wool using one swipe from inside to outside of each eye and then throwing away and using a fresh one .

The air alone may have triggers - pollen dust , desiel fumes , so gentle eye bathing will clear those . Especially if your eyes are not being bathed naturally with tears .

Is your hair a problem anywhere else or just your lashes ? lashes themselves naturally protect your eyes , so your poorly lashes are not doing their job just now ;-( if you can wear sunglasses outside that will protect your eyes whilst they recover . I love my big , solid sided sunnies as they help my dry eyes Wink

many hugs

Josie

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #2 - 03/30/11 at 14:26:31

I haven't been wearing eye makeup, and have seen 2 diff. eye mds. They insist there is no infection...  I see Dr. Akin, and he saw my eyes. Also, my family Md has seen them....they don't seem to know or think it is a big deal??? who knows, i am so discouraged and sick of this whole mast cell crapola lol Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 03/30/11 at 14:44:43

star:
I have trouble with my eyes to. My masto doc explained that the mast cell can inflame the tear ducts causing the eyes  to hurt and believe me they hurt bad when they hurt. He put me on Pataday, a mast cell inhibitor that you use as need and it's great. But before I would do this if I was you as it's fairly expensive there is an OTC eye drop I think called Zatatin or something starting with a Z that has ketotifin in it. It's in an orange box. On days between pain, I just use Refresh to keep the eyes lubricated.
Hope this helps you
Mike V

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03/30/11 at 15:19:41

I'm having eye weirdness now too.  They told me to try the mast cell stabilizing drops.

Also, if I mess around with my Loratidine does, I get this really weird visual effect.  My eyes start twitching and it almost seems like I see flashes or something.  It's always been like that for me with the Loratidine.

I had my eyes checked recently, and they say I have a little of the chronically inflamed eye too.

Does anybody else get weird visual effects before mast cell attacks, or is that just me?

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/11 at 05:14:42

Hi Starfish ,

I understand being fed up ;-( Sometimes it feels constant . I am still measuring my symptoms in hours at times . I was saying good or bad days , now I say phases as each phase will pass .

I find it hardest where my problem affects my face . It makes me more conscious . Everyone else is just glad i am doing better ( not in ED ) . I had a moon face with steriods for a while and I didn't change my photo on my social networking site until this last September . Wink

I am glad the docs have seen it . As you are a Pt of Dr Castells , maybe asking for a direct remedy may help . With other causes checked out , and cleared mikes advice is useful .

many hugs sweetie

Josie xxxxx

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #6 - 03/31/11 at 06:53:59

Hi Starfish Smiley
Thats the side effect of the antihistamines plus the mast cell activity. I know it sucks ....My eyes used to dry out then get crusty at the edges. When I saw my eye Dr she told me I have a "freckle" and 3 mast cells in my left eye.. Until then, I had no idea that the masto could effect our eyes too.... Mike is right, talk to your Dr about the Pataday eye drops. If they are too expensive then look for the Zaditor eye drops at Walgreens.  Hope this helps Hon.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/31/11 at 09:24:02

Okay, now you know....  I've tried a number of alternative treatment methods during the 15 years when I was undiagnosed.  Some have been very helpful, and some not at all, but I did find something for my eye problem.

I always hesitate to put things like this on the forum, because everyone reacts differently to meds, but if it might help somebody, that would be great because it's a cheap and effective remedy for me (and I've used it for my family).  This is only my experience, and I recommend checking it out thoroughly if you want to use it yourself.

Anway, it's an Ayurvedic eye wash that I use for an occasionally recurring eye problem that sounds very similar to yours.  (Same eyelash problem, too)  I usually get it when there's a lot of dust or pollen in the air, but also other times, and I'd say I have it about 2-3 times/year.  

I was given this by a doctor of Chinese medicine probably 15 years ago, and it's worked well for me ever since.  Enough for me for a year is about $2.

It's a powder called Triphala, and I make a tincture out of it by bringing 1/2 tsp. Triphala and 1 c. filtered or distilled water to a boil.  I turn it off and let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain it through a coffee filter into a clean jar.  When cool, I pour a little into an eye cup and blink in it a few times to get it into my eyes.  If I have a bit of swelling, I'll pull out my eyelids to let it get under them.  I leave it for a minute or two and blot the excess around the eyes with a soft cloth.  It can be used 1-3 times/day.  I usually use it twice/day.  I would say the longest I've had to use it was probably 4 days to completely clear the problem.  It feels astringent, but doesn't burn me really bad or cause any other pain.  I suppose if it were a longstanding problem, it might take longer.  Wait an hour or so before putting in contacts afterward.  And, refrigerate the leftover tincture.  When using later, heat only enough to take the chill off.

Of course, I don't know exactly what you have, and am not "prescribing" this, but it's helped me a lot for my itchy, crusty, inflamed, red eye problem.  There are a lot of websites that talk about Triphala.  Some seem questionable, but there are also reputable sources of info on it.  If you decide to try it, I recommend trying it cautiously (more dilute, one eye only or a little drop on inside of lip to make sure you don't adversely react).

Many people take it orally for other purposes, and it's been tested on mice at the NCI as a protective substance for people who've had radiation exposure as well as other things.  It's had some in vitro anti-cancer activity.  I've never taken it orally, and there are some possible digestive side effects to doing that.

If you're interested, PM me, and I can put you in contact with the person I get it from or you may be able to find an Ayurvedic practitioner in your area who is cautious about sources.  It's available in some health food stores, too.  

Also, I don't use mascara or other eye makeup while I'm treating myself, and I replace my mascara when I finish the treatment, just as a precaution.

Joan

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #8 - 04/11/11 at 14:50:07

thanks guys Smiley

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #9 - 06/21/11 at 07:23:42

Just thought I put this out there.... My eyes and lids continued to be a mess, now finally found something that works. At Walgreens, Similason Allergy Eye Relief OTC eye drops.  Smiley

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 06/22/11 at 07:12:00

How are your lashes? I notice that my thick, long eyelashes now don't look as long or as thick anymore, and they sometimes even break off at the tips.  Angry

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #11 - 06/23/11 at 06:07:23

My lashes, lids and eyes are all a mess! Angry   Makes me wonder what will "go" next!  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print