Fish Oil ? (Read 1813 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Fish Oil ?
03/21/11 at 17:32:45

Hi all,

My internist who is clueless about POTs wants me to try fish oil and I'd like to given the potential health benefits but not if it will take down my house of cards.....I know fish can be high in histamines but is there something about fish oil (more processed?) that elininates that issue? I'd love any feedback before i decide to - yet agian - make myself a guinea pig Smiley

THANK YOU! - brita

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Fish Oil ?
Reply #1 - 03/22/11 at 00:11:48

Fish oil is also a blood thinner.  You could try it... but I think it would be a bad combination with POTS.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 03/22/11 at 04:18:18

Check out Krill oil, or flaxseed oil.

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/27/11 at 14:30:41

I don't have POTS, just ISM.  I take fish oil every day, and have done so for quite a few years now.  I have been able to tolerate it.  I can honestly say I feel much better when I take it regularly, and it has not caused my tryptase to go up over time either.  However, I can eat regular fish without a problem too.

I have done a lot of reading on the anti-inflammatory nature of it, as my field is immunity and inflammation.  I think that there is some pretty compelling data about it, and I think more studies should be done.

I think it would depend on whether or not you are allergic to it, or any of the components in the particular preparation you are taking.  Look for a preparation that is USP certified, and one that has also been purified to get rid of any mercury (which can be found in some fish oil vitamin preps).  I only take 1200 mg once per day, not a lot.  I think you would have to take higher doses of it before you would have to worry about blood thinning.

I would talk with your doc and see what he says.  My masto docs have told me they think it would be o.k. for me as I don't react to it.  I have a lot of cardiovascular disease in my family, so I take it to help with that as well.  It will raise your total cholesterol, but that's because it is elevating the levels of your "good" cholesterol. A nice plus is that it makes your hair grow better! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print