Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not too sure what to do next! if anything. (Read 1678 times)
jbob
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Not too sure what to do next! if anything.
03/17/11 at 08:15:20

After a second blood test, 3 months after the first, my tryptase plasma levels were slightly higher 20 v 18 but still not very high. I was referred from the allergist (who said I might have mastocytosis) to a dermatologist to check the brown spots on my back. No sign of any spots today but he tells me they come and go! but that I am dermographic but not to worry its fairly common but could raise histamine levels. I don't think he was too clued up on mast cell disorders as he had to pop out and talk to another doctor.  

I am getting good relief of symptoms (stomach aches and heart burn with zantac, itching with an antihistamine) but still ache in my joints.
Feel like I am going round in circles, like many others here, haven't got a specific diagnosis, starting to feel like a hypochondriac as I am becoming so focused on my health, the up sides are my symptoms are mild (especially compared to many here)  and I seem to feel better by restricting foods high in histamine, plus I am so glad of the UK free health service even if it is a bit cranky.

As i started by saying, what next? The thing I am most concerned about is having another anaphylaxis.

Sorry if this sounds like a whine but 9 mths after my trip to ER I am still not clear whats happening to me. My Allergist did talk about getting a bone marrow test, but not sure if that is necessary where I am now!

Thank for listening.  jim

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Re: Not too sure what to do next! if anything.
Reply #1 - 03/17/11 at 08:53:23

Hi Jim ,

The level for a raise in tryptase for mastocytosis in the UK is 12 . So 18 and 20 are high enough . You are not a hypochondriac . your focussed on your health beacuse you need a daignosis . You have bllods to support a decision for bone marrow biopsy Smiley

I am in the UK Smiley . Who are you seeing ? where ? Where do you live . St thomas' in London has a mix of dermaotologists and immunologists , who are very good Smiley

Despite my lack of high tryptase , they have treated me and I am more stable . Not perfect yet but having less shock . Angiodeama is my idiagnosis so far , the exact cause is being honed down .  most have been excluded so I am a work in progress Wink

I am glad your symptoms are responding . Can you let me know everything you are on and I may beable to make some suggestions . With a raised tryptase blocking the effects of histamines will not affect any tests as it would be unsafe for you to stop meds . St thomas' did not ask me to stop mine Wink

look forward to hearing from you Wink

Josie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 03/17/11 at 16:31:43

Hi Jim!!
Welcome to the group. You are definitely on the right track. Im so glad Josie can help you with doctors etc there in England.  Yes, here in the US a BMB is the next step--or one of them lol...

You carry epi pens, and benadryl with you in case of shock right?? Youre doing well being so careful in your diet... You make it easy for our doctor (IF he understood masto).

Glad to meet you, welcome to the group!
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

jbob
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/18/11 at 00:58:44

Thanks both, yes I do have a couple of epipens, I also have a couple of benadryl tabs in my wallet they gave me in ER plus I have some OTC piritin.

My main issues are; guarding against another shock, deciding whether to push for a BMB, and sorting the aching joints thing.

In the mean time I am trying to stay off the chocolate Sad, limit alcohol Cry, and steer clear of cheese, plus avoiding tomatoes.    

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 03/18/11 at 07:50:02

Hi Jim:)
I know how you feel, so very much!  We all do! Thats why we are here to try to make it easier on you. I would always press for the tests, you need the answers. Lets take your other issues  (they were biggies for me too).

I think chocolate (just a tiny bit) is much safer for you than alcohol--it makes the circulation react so quickly. I dont drink any alcohol anymore. I DO have a chocolate bar in my freezer and now and then I have one small piece of it Smiley

I never was a big tomato eater BUT I adore Italian food.. I had to cut out tomato sauce..Now I just use more garlic and butter and other spices that we can have and I find I like it better!

Cheese?? Check to see which ones are fresh and which are aged--you can probably have a small bit of fresh cheese...I do.. but the aged ones will make you react. Just know which ones are which.

Being afraid of going into shock..wow I can relate... I have one small trick I use and it is a security blanket for me. I keep about 60 mg of prednisone on me--for emergencies only. IF I am starting to break out in hives (that is my alert I will go into shock).. I will take the prednisone at the same time I am calling 911. It helps the episode be much less severe and I get over it quicker. Talk to your Dr about it.

That bone and muscle pain?? OUCH.. I have it too.. and I do have pain pills for it.. but be careful, you know they can trigger us. I have one tip here...If your meds are tweaked right for you (enough H1 and H2 antihistamines), my pain level is much easier to control.. If my meds arent right, I have a problem controlling the pain, see? I hope you can tweak your meds exactly right for you and your pain will lessen and be more controllable.

Hope this helps Smiley
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/18/11 at 09:49:58

Hi Jim ,

Yeah alcohol is something I miss . i was never a big drinker , but I miss that night out with the girls . Though I have had lots , so no regrets . I would be a cheap date now anyway . I can't tolerate any , even alcohol wipes on my skin .

Spag bol is a big miss in my life as well ;-( but its the right thing

Josie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print