Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treating depression - which meds are ok? (Read 3161 times)
SeaSpray
Rookie

Namaste

Treating depression - which meds are ok?
03/13/11 at 11:29:48

I've just been diagnosed with depression by my counselor, she is recommending I try some meds for it, not sure if I should - and if I do, what would be good for me...has anyone here had any experience with this?

I take ranitidine, ketotifen, gastrocrom for the masto... and diclofenac for back pain from degenerative disc disease... and lorazepam to get to sleep. I feel absolutely lousy all the time now, increased over the past year (and I'm sure many masto sufferers do, but this is becoming overwhelming for me, and I can't slog through it anymore...dismantling work/marriage/life). Constant fatigue, feeling so stressed, sadness, loss of libido, creative fizz non-existent, memory problems, mistakes at work, feeling low and flat, joyless, just don't give a hoot anymore... just can't muster up the energy for it.

Thursday I left a message for the nurse at Dr Castells office, no call back... called again Friday and then did speak with a nurse about the diagnosis, she said to go thru my primary care Dr for meds for it, so I got an appt with PC for this Monday... but I'm sure she's just going to refer me back to Castells anyway. The nurse at Castells had said she'd send Castells an email asking about depression meds/masto but I haven't heard back from any one yet (I know it takes time). I'd like to be able to go into the primary care Dr on Monday with some useful info, to hasten this process along a bit... I just can't struggle like this much longer.

- I've read in one online group that SSRI's can be a bad idea for masto patients.
- My counselor hsays many of her (non-mast) clients use Celexa, but I don't know if that's good for a masto like me...

Any experiences? advicez?
Thanks so much
Gail

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Treating depression - which meds are ok?
Reply #1 - 03/13/11 at 12:17:20

Hi Gail,

I'm sorry that you're going through such a difficult time!

Doxepin (Sinequan) is both an antidepressant and an antihistamine... that's a good option if you can tolerate it (you won't really know until you try).  I've also heard of mast cell patients doing well on Wellbutrin and Effexor.  Has anyone in your family taken anti-depressants?  From what I understand, that's also a good clue as to what type(s) of medications will work best for you... unfortunately, it's a process of trial and error.  My sister and mother are both on antidepressants... most of my family has been at some point.  (BTW... have you had your thyroid and vitamin D levels checked?)

I think the most important thing is that your doctor is aware that you have a higher than average risk for a negative reaction... s/he might need to switch you to a different medication quickly (more quickly than a normal patient).  

Good luck!  I hope the medication is helpful.  Good for you for seeking out that extra help!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Bobbi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/16/11 at 05:50:40

Hi there, I was actually just coming on to post an interesting article I found about anti inflammatories and antidepressants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995293/table/T3/

It shows a list from the article (there is a link to the article on the upper left) on studies they did on how antiinflammatories worked in depression.  Hopefully that will help, but also of course I had heard doxepin as well.  I just started remeron, I think may be anti histamine.  I flared badly with selegiline and the emsam patch, caused a lot of anti inflammatory reaction.  Many times you can look online to see which ones have an affinity to histamine receptors (or something to that effect!)  My baby just started crying, so I better go, but hope that helps!  Best, Cydnie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 03/18/11 at 11:18:53

Hi Bobbi,
I noticed when I read your post that you arent on both H1 and H2 antihistamines?? I only saw Rantidine listed.. any others??  I would suggest somewthing like Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl or my favorite, Vistaril... You WILL feel lousy if you are constantly reacting.. once you medicate to an appropriate level , the depression might be better too. Talk to your DR about this.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 06/06/11 at 03:49:08

Just remember to check the ingredients--many of  us react to sulfites, iron, gluten and/or fish oils Smiley

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 06/06/11 at 04:18:27

Fish oil and flax oil (great sources of omega3s) are both blood thinners... so those are out for me.  I do, however, get a decent amount of omega3s in my diet by eating organic, free-range eggs and wild salmon.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print