Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treating depression - which meds are ok? (Read 1242 times)
SeaSpray
Rookie

Namaste

Treating depression - which meds are ok?
03/10/11 at 13:25:41

Along with the usual masto symptoms I have been battling increasing fatigue, unhappiness, huge lack of interest, loss of any creativity, just joyless... so I started with a counselor and she has diagnosed as depression.  I have a call into Dr Castells to discuss what might help, but wondering what experiences others have had with meds for depression... my counselor has suggested I ask about Celexa... any opinions? any others I should discuss with Dr. C?
Thanks... hope all is well with everyone...
Gail

IP Logged

dragonbunny
Rookie

Try not. Do. Or do not.
There is no try
Texas
Re: Treating depression - which meds are ok?
Reply #1 - 03/11/11 at 06:48:48

Gail,

I can only speak for myself - I take Prozac with no problems.  I have tried Welbutrin and something else in the past with side effects.  The newer drugs I seem to react more to.

Susan

"....Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."

Walt Disney
Pubomb  
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Treating depression - which meds are ok?
Reply #2 - 03/11/11 at 18:56:58

In the beginning, I was pretty stressed and down about the flushing reactions I was having, and the fact that no one seemed to be able to diagnose me.  My allergist prescribed doxepin, and it helped everything.  I've seen some people on the forum say that Wellbutrin was very helpful.

One thing that can be overlooked in doctor appointments is nutrition and/or malabsorption as a cause of symptoms.  Might want to ask about having vitamin B12 (and other B vitamins) level checked, as well as vitamin D, iron, and other minerals.  Deficiencies can make depression worse and energy lower, and if you have digestive difficulties, that can cause malabsorption, which can cause all sorts of problems, including depression.  Good to get the possible physical causes ruled out before you begin trying meds for it.  But, if nothing is found, meds might be the answer.

Hope you find something that works!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print