Very Low Serotonin (Read 3587 times)
missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Very Low Serotonin
03/09/11 at 11:25:18

Hi all

Hope everyone is OK.

I have had a negative for carcinoid - yay - but my doctor noted that my serotnin levels were practically non existent.

Apart from it meaning I am blooming depressed (well spotted!!) is there any significance for mast cell disease does anyone know??

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Very Low Serotonin
Reply #1 - 03/09/11 at 12:29:48

Hi Sarah,

I hope you've been well.

The serotonin levels are a finding that was related to finding in mastocytosis patients.  They were studied only with masto patients but it's possible that they might be related in other allergy related diseases like angioedema but there's only been research by Dr. Dean Metcalfe of the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland as both above normal levels and way below normal levels.  

Mine are way below normal.  If you want, I can send you a copy of this article.  Send me you email address and I'll send you a copy.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/09/11 at 13:33:44

Hi Lisa.

Do you notice the lack of serotonin coz I sure as heck do???!!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 03/10/11 at 00:50:48

Gee, Sarah, I think I'd have to take something to up my serotonin in order to know if I'm worse without it or not.  I don't know.   I have a lot of activity and perhaps it would improve if I could replace what's lacking.  However, I do know that if I take any SSRIs which interfere with the little I have that YES then I can tell cause it causes me to have more activity then normal.  They've not put me into anaphylaxis, but I certainly felt the interference!  

My problem is to find a doctor who knows about serotonins and to get them to address this issue.  Until then, it remains unaddressed.   Undecided

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/11 at 01:17:16

Hi Sarah ,

I have not had my serotoinin measured. But I will ,

I have had similar expeirnce to Lisa with SSRI's . I am not sure who wrote it . But someone ? Lisa write that only masto gives seriously low serotoinin but messing with it causes problems .

I am very pleased you don't have carciniod Smiley Maybe your depression is due to yrs of masto ???????

How is everything else going xxx
Hugs
josie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 03/10/11 at 03:02:20

Hey Josie,

Although some research has connected low serotonin levels with depression, there is nothing that proves that those with low serotonin are automatically depressed.  

I'm sure not!!! Smiley

Honestly, life is just way too short to be spent on being depressed!!!  I refuse to allow myself to indulge in it!!!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/10/11 at 10:05:40

Hi Sarah and Lisa ,

Me neither  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Im operating a if it isn't broke don't fix it xxx I was on duloxitine for my fibromyalgia . It didnt work and opened me up to biggies ( before I came here Smiley

For those that do have a depression problem are MAOI's ok in MCAS / MASTO . AS SSRI's and adjusting seratonin should be avoided and tricyclics in anti depressant doses can cause a problem with EPI PENs ( dodgy heart rythyms ) . I have avoided them since my first biggie .

I have been depressed in the past and I needed the med's to recover I don't mean the blues . I mean clinical depression in which i could not talk myself out of it , cheer myself up or lift the cloud Sad

I would want those that have this have options in relation to their mast cell disease .

many hugs
Josie

IP Logged

missmarple
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 03/10/11 at 11:26:51

Hi you two

I am depressed now, been depressed in the past but my depression is always BECAUSE of something if you see what i mean, like bereavements, illness etc.

I had to come off my antidepressants overnight when i got my mast cell issues - that was a bit shocking!

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/11 at 11:36:40

Hi sarah , hugs

Well see what advice others have Smiley as i know you are not alone in this Smiley
Josie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print