Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IgG Food Allergy testing (Read 5037 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
IgG Food Allergy testing
02/04/11 at 03:29:36

I had IgG delayed food allergy testing done a year ago. At that point I had already had suspicions of certain foods that I knew where giving me problems. Sure enough when the results came back it showed many of the things I was suspecting. I was told to avoid this foods for 6 months to a year and then re-try and was giving instructions on a rotation diet. I have asked around since about this IgG Elisa Food Intolerance test and some people tell me the test is not legit and most MD's say it's not reliable. I understand its not a true allergy in less it IgE mediated. I did meet one lady who had the test done through her allergist and she said he says it's legit. I had the blood test done at a naturopathic doctor I saw. The lab it was sent to was Us Bio Tek Labs in Seattle, Wa. I know there is other companies that do these tests like Alcat. Just wondering if anyone has heard of these tests or had them done before and if they seem like they could be accurate to you?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: IgG Food Allergy testing
Reply #1 - 02/04/11 at 07:05:28

Hi Melissa,

I have mixed thoughts about IgG testing.

On one hand, it's not like the tests are "false positives."  Your body really is making antibodies to foods... interpreting them as foreign invaders (as if they were a virus or bacteria).  I've only had one IgG test... to gliaden (wheat protein) as part of a celiac panel.  Even after several months on a gluten-free diet it was elevated, which made me feel more confident about the need for a gluten-free diet.  I also think that someone with a mast cell disorder is better off reducing his/her exposure to things that set off an immune response.  So... I do think the IgG testing has a useful role to play.

Two downsides... 1) IgG testing is rather expensive, it's typically not paid for by insurance, and in many cases it just tells you what you already knew.  I already knew I had a problem with wheat.  The test just confirmed it.  2) If you eliminate those foods from your diet, your antibody levels will go down.  That's what makes some people say these tests are "false" or "worthless."  Here's the thing... you want to be careful that you don't restrict your diet to the point that you start developing antibodies to new foods!  That can get very dangerous.  The best advice I have is to eat as rich and varied a diet as you can comfortably stand.  Don't eat foods that really bother you, but do keep rotating the foods you can tolerate in order to avoid making new antibodies.  Make sense?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 02/04/11 at 09:19:13

You know what bothers me is.... I have been told be a lot of people don't eat to much of one thing because it puts you at more of a risk of developing a sensitivity to it. I have to say having a varied diet is hard for me. Like for example, I'm not supposed to have dairy, sometimes I can have just a little and I'm ok but generally I stay away because it gives me awful sinus problems and joint/bone pain, so I drink almond milk, like in my coffee or if I'm baking, etc. But I also like using almond flour because it's GF and it's high protein, low carb and I also like to snack on almonds. This is probably too much almonds. I make my salad dressing out of raw cashews and water and I eat a salad probably 5 days a week with the dressing and I also use the dressing as a mayo substitute so I use it almost everyday. So again, I got to switch it up. But what about "normal" people, they eat dairy everyday, why don't they have this problem? So confusing. Is it an autoimmune thing or masto? I'm finding that as time goes on there is more and more foods that I'm adding to the list. Frustrating. Although whenever I do a cleanse I can tolerate more foods. Sometimes I wonder if I have a parasite or some kind of metal toxicity. I wish I could afford a hair/mineral analysis.
Melissa

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/08/11 at 12:04:25

I am also pondering the place of IgG. I have heard different things about it. I have a friend who has many allergies and intolerances, her experience of it is that it has proved to be quite accurate for her, but she always confirms the IgG results with elimination and challenge.  I had my son tested a while back not by my regular doctor , but I didn't have a high level of trust in the doctor who did it, as she was saying and recommending things that didn't always add up or correlate with what I knew from other credible sources. However, her explanation of the role of this testing is that there are different types of IgG (4 I think) and that the test doesn't isolate which type is reacting. The postivie result could be from the IgG that is the 'normal' type that your body uses to dealing with a food, and so it just tells you what you have eaten, not that you have actually had an adverse reaction to it. Her view is that it gives you a starting point for isoalting foods that may be causing problems, narrowing down the field. Then she lost me when she said you test those things with intradermal testing?? I thought that tested for IgE reactions?  And with dermographism I wasn't sure if it would be valid anyway, and she didn't have a clue about that.  So I have filed his results away as interesting, and we probably should move onto elimination and challenge, but on the basis of her confused explanations and recommendations I wasn't prepared to restrict the diet of a teenager, without a clear reason (he tested positive for gluten, dairy and eggs - that would be a huge upheaval for him to exclude all of these completely).  I have tried to reduce the amount of those things, substitute where it is easy to do, and vary his diet more.  If anyone has further insight into IgG I would love to hear more about it.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #4 - 03/08/11 at 13:11:28

Hi Ruth,

Yes, there are four "subclasses" of IgG (IgG1, IgG2, IgG3, and IgG4).  I've read about this making a difference in certain autoimmune disorders like lupus and autoimmune chronic urticaria.  IgG1 is the most common and the most likely to degranulate mast cells.  IgG3 is not as common, but has the greatest ability to activate complement.  This can be important with a mast cell disorder because certain parts of the complement cascade (C3a, C4a, C5a) are known as "anaphylatoxins"... they cause cause degranulation.  Here's a basic explanation of the IgG subclasses from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunoglobulin_G

What role does this play in food intolerances?  I have no idea... I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to this question.  To get a better sense of the complexity involved, you might be interested in this article from Medscape about selective IgA and IgG deficiencies:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/885348-overview

I would recommend joining this website if you haven't already (it's free)... there are many excellent articles on Medscape!

Heather  

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03/08/11 at 18:07:45

Thanks Heather, I did join it recently probably when looking up something from the old forum I was reading.  I will take a look at this. I am still in the dark as to whether to take his IgG results seriously or not, I guess only elimination will tell me, but I am reluctant to go that route if it's not warranted.  
« Last Edit: 03/08/11 at 22:28:41 by ruth »  

IP Logged

gibby
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 03/09/11 at 12:59:41

Hi guys, I'm glad your talking about allergy testing.  I'm so confused.  I have a new natropath doctor who did tons of testing on his Asyra machine.  Supposed to be 98% accurate.  It said, or I should say, my body was "sensitive" to wheat, (not gluten) tomatoes and dairy.  I have never had reactions to any of them.  I've always eaten everything!  I don't eat much dairy in general.  In 2009, I was tested through Quest, on all sorts of food.  IgG and IgE.   apple was the only thing elevated a bit for the IgG.   Quest is the lab here,  (CT).  I was fine for everything.  Should I get tested again?  I'm not sure if I trust the Asyra machine.  Many doctors are testing this way now.    The other tests cost so much money.  It's outrageous.   I have done some home testing, pulse testing......they say it's accurate.  Nothing every came up though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print