Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Member: Advice, Please? (Read 10218 times)
Kim
Guiding Light

Rapid City SD
Re: New Member: Advice, Please?
Reply #30 - 02/24/11 at 16:18:06

You have a diagnosis!!!! That is so wonderful!  Although this is not a diagnosis we  want... in the same sense you now know that you FINALLY have an answer and can grasp the reality of it, educate yourself to the fullest and learn the best ways to deal with it and give yourself the best quality of life...  It is often the "unknown" that is so terrifying.  You can at least stop searching for that "answer" now.  Roll Eyes

I wish I was better educated myself so that I could help you with the aspirin issue.  If you already have reactions to aspirin that is concerning to me.  They are talking about maybe putting Brie on aspirin to decrease the Prostaglandin release.  There is some information on this on this forum and if you google it there is even more.  I have done this since they talked of maybe starting Brie on it.  I wish I had some of those links... but I  did not save them  Undecided

But I know that Deb, Heather, Lisa and Ramona and others will come to your rescue!

I am happy that you can now sit back and celebrate having a definitive answer and move forward....

Stay Well, Kim

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #31 - 02/25/11 at 09:33:36

Hi Summer!
I am soo glad you finally have that diagnosis! You are just beginning to piece this whole puzzle out... the first step is what do you think you have, the next and most important is testing for exclusion to know the definite truth and having that REAL answer... the next is making a game plan to keep those masties quiet and well behaved.. then for me, its about weighing how to revamp how I live my life to be more at balance with my limitations and keep a positive attitude.  Smiley

I would caution anyone thinking about desensitising to allergens to be very careful about this--and make sure it is done with your masto Drs approval...some people can do it just fine, others react bigtime.. be careful and safe Smiley  

PS never go off your meds for allergy testing. A doctor who asks that doesnt understand mast cell diseases, we stay on our meds!!

Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #32 - 02/25/11 at 14:53:17

Hmm. Not sure if the aspirin therapy helps or hurts mast cell people. Anyone know??? The real treatment would be getting you on better meds. Pepsid is like baby food to us. Mast cell people take Zantac instead, as well as other meds..... I think you should find a Masto doc who is better known and who will be more knowledgeable about the correct remedies.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #33 - 02/25/11 at 19:32:48

Dr. Butterfield, at Mayo in MN, has done a lot of research and has had some success in masto patients using aspirin.  But, I don't think that changed the fact that some people can't tolerate salicylates or aspirin, which contains salicylates.  Hope you'll proceed very, very cautiously if you decide to go ahead and do the desensitization.

There is a quick desensitization that is done in the hospital, but I haven't heard whether it can be done on mast cell patients.  I do know that very few allergists will even give immunotherapy to people with mast cell problems.  Mine only agreed after I told him I had already been taking shots for 15 years when I was undiagnosed.

It couldn't hurt to get in touch with Dr. Akin or Castells about how safe the process would be for you.

Joan

IP Logged

summerfields
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #34 - 02/26/11 at 02:37:31

I agree with the cautionary advice.  I did some research on the aspirin desensitization process -- since I quit aspirin years ago due to anaphylactic symptoms -- and absolutely, what I read scares me very much.  

The one write-up had the patient in intensive care for five days and involved shock after shock after shock, and I just don't think my poor body can bear that kind of abuse.  I'd hesitate to sign that form saying I understand the process could kill me.  My stomach ulcer situation is only another red flag.

Quote:
It couldn't hurt to get in touch with Dr. Akin or Castells about how safe the process would be for you.

I have the one email in to Dr. Akin but haven't heard anything back yet -- that was before I even heard I should do the aspirin routine.  I have read about Dr. Castells doing it, but she knows how, and that would be worrisome enough.  

The allergist that I would be doing it with here in town, admittedly knows nothing about MCAD, or the aspirin desensitization process, she would be reading instructions from the Mayo doc, in a hospital here that has probably never seen such a thing.  In fact, it would be the same hospital where I woke up from surgery listening to the recovery room nurse laugh at my "ridiculous list of allergies".

Quote:
Pepsid is like baby food to us. Mast cell people take Zantac instead

Thank you, I had wondered about that.  Once again, a questionable approach.

Quote:
You can at least stop searching for that "answer" now

I was positive I at least had the MCAD, and I still suspect that I might prove "Systemic", if I had the right tests done at the right time, but it wouldn't make any practical difference in treatment, would it?

Quote:
I think you should find a Masto doc who is better known and who will be more knowledgeable about the correct remedies.

I agree.  This doctor was wrong about so many things, I don't feel at ease putting my life in her hands.  And then, she hadn't explained anything even when she called me with the diagnosis, she just told me we'd try aspirin, and said to come back in "six months or a year" and see how I'm doing.  Too much serious going on, to simply be told that.  There needs to be more sincere help to be offered than that.

I've done more reading here as I've had the chance.  You're all so brave, and smart, struggling on with this illness that leaves you between rocks and hard places.  I think you all deserve an award.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #35 - 02/26/11 at 14:22:42

Hi Summer!

I'm sorry I've not had a chance to chime in here recently, my sister is visiting and I'm really overloaded and stretched to my limit so I'm going to have to try to pop back in here perhaps tomorrow afternoon.  I did want to say, however, that I'm glad that finally the torture is over in that you know what you are working with at least!   My doctor, once she saw the high histamines result told me "Lisa, for me I don't need to see anything else, I know what you have!" and from that point on she treated me as a masto patient.  There's nothing else which will send the urine histamines up quite so high as that of a mast cell disorder even though other diseases do have histamine release involved.  This is why it's not diagnostic, but it is considered an indicator of mast cell activation so having at least this the doctors know for sure it's masto.  So, good for you, Summer, your major torture is over!!

Now, getting the rest of the answers is the challenge, but if you keep on pushing after these you will eventually find them!!

I'll talk a bit more tomorrow, got to crash now!

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

summerfields
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #36 - 03/04/11 at 06:10:50

A follow-up on my story...

You'll remember that my Mayo doctor called several days after I had seen her -- and she had been very skeptical of my symptoms being anything more than anxiety -- and told me that my prosteglandins had indeed proved me a diagnosis for MCAD.

I just received her written notes in the mail, and I'm distressed over them.  That happens a lot when I read what doctors write about me.

I had needed professional support and verification to take to my local doctor, and anyone else I will encounter with my emergencies, and she has written up her notes completely trivializing my whole situation.

She wrote that even though I do prove to have this disorder, she does not know why I have the reactions I do (they are dangerous anaphylactic reactions to foods and drugs, by all my readings and according to former allergists); she wrote that my listed symptoms are not in line with anaphylactic symptoms or MCAD or allergies.  

And she wrote that I only have one allergy, to peaches -- when I took in papers proving many of my actual tested allergies.

According to her report, my having MCAD is neither here nor there, indicative of nothing related to my history of complaints (that read like a Mastocytosis article).  She emphasized that she told me it may all be anxiety.

So I still feel completely unsupported, I can't take that to anyone and be believed.  She was a nice enough lady, personally, but for this need, she has really let me down, and acts as though she's never read the literature.

She still insists that my (reported) rushes of cardio-vascular symptoms, that take place while eating or having ingested a drug, have nothing to do with mast cells.

I'm just venting this morning. Embarrassed

I haven't heard back from my email to Dr. Akin, but I've had some computer issues this week.

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 03/04/11 at 09:06:05

Hi Summerfields,

Oh babe I undersatnd .I fully expect some of my notes would say the same about me . I had one admission where they were told to watch me medicate Sad . They thought I was over using my epi through anxiety . grrrrrrrrrrrr,

Many doctors , despite documented symptoms , are they wont beleive it until they see it

Hold on , you know the truth , you ahve your proof of allergies and reactions . My reaction to CT contrast was seen . It was actually a freind who gave me it .( CT radiologist )  In the days post they held my epi pens at the nurses station and this scared me . I had to ask my firned how I was immediately , 3 mins after drug . she said that I had been struggling big time . I knew and I know my body but in that moment I needed reassurance . Silly given ITU had been with me for 5 hrs the previous evening ( ITU outreach and anethatist ) .

I compleltly understand your concern and dismay at her lack of insight xxxxxxxxxxxxx and her lack of understanding on what this means to you . I don't know if you can ring Dr akin to check he got your email xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had a thought . I was talking to my docs about diagnosis first , so they thought I was anxious and focusing on a holy grail . Then I changed things . I started talking about my aim , which is stability regardless of my label . This ahs gained me better responses and even the doc on tuesday , by the end of our meeting , was going to look at my questions .

My label brings people believeing and i know completely how important being believed is to you / us . I had to explain to my doc tuesday that I needed a diagnosis , to be believed to help me my experiences with other doctors / nurses . In that i have had some impasses with docs and nurses who can't cope with me not fitting a box .

Do you ever stay home and manage reactions ?? Another approach is to prove your point .

I have ordered my 999 calls and paramedic paperwork . i dont know if you can do the same . xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

She seems to be a no hypotension , no anaphylaxis doctor . My reactions - anaphylaxis - is abdominal and airway . My BP will drop but my body compensates with very high blood pressure . My airway normally goes before my BP bottoms out . Though it has on 3 occasions . I passed out , but this was at home whilst I was on the phone , hence why my 999 (911) calls are important for me .

The other option is present with every swelling .  Then the paperwork will show "it" . Photos have helped me immensly xxxxxxxxxxxx

I would respond to the inconsistasies in the letter and challenge them , so the fcats are documented regardless of her opinion Smiley I have had to do this .

In the meantime could you ask your primary for a work up for autoimmune causes , pheaoctycythoma and carciniod as these things need excluding and the first magnifies existing problems and a pheao will give adrenaline release , which will make your pulse race , with no food connection . carciniod has a collection of food and drug intolerences similar to masto / mcas . carciniod has various hormones relased - histamine , adrenaline ,seratonin. + many others . It would be these chemicals thatgive you problems . A pheao , is on the adrenals and realses adrenaline , and various other hormones in a similar way to a carciniod .

Until you have a diagnosis , at presant you have IGE allergies and a collection of undiagnosed symptoms Smiley

The anaphylaxis you have to triggers mean that a diagnosis of idiopathic anaphylaxis would be likely . This is the old title for mcas .Which is still being honed down in terms of diagnostic criteria .

www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/56.html - has a list of things that need excluding , after carciniod , pheao and autoimmune conditions .

It also has that currently accepted diagnostic criteria . It is interesting to note you don't have to have hypotension to have IA .

When i was in your siuation I made a list of the things that needed excluding and got tested for them all . you may have to go to different doctors for their speciality if your primary looks confussed .
Autoimmune - endocrinology
thyrod - T3 T4 and autoimmune antibodies - hashimotos thyroidosis
adrenal - adreanl antibodies for primary addisions
Lupus - ANA , compliments

Pheaoctrocythoma - Urology or endocrinology
24 hour urine collection for
Cateclamines - andrenaline and nor adrenaline

Carciniod
24 hour urine collection for 511HA - seratonin derivative
Bloods - chromotaogranin a

Immuno
Heridatory angiodeama
compliments - c1 c3 c4

I also got tested for :-

myesthenia gravis IGG condition ,because my airway was so bad

Myloma - bone cancer which can cause increased IGE or any of the other immunglobulins - IGG , IGA , IGD , because I had back pain as an early symptom and high IGE with no obvious IGE allergy , even on testing

Infection :- hepititis , HIV , ( pure caution as i had been tested 4 months earlier for a health care job )

Endocarditis - sweats and shortness of breath on exertion

All negative

I hope this helps Smiley
Josie

Please dont lose faith xxxxxxx

many hugs
Jose xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #38 - 03/05/11 at 05:04:42

Hi Summer Smiley
Josie has some great advice here... I hope you hear from Dr Akins or Castells soon.. in the meantime,  do NOT trust your life to a Doctor who cant be bothered to read the lastest research on your case or diagnosis.. I would have a few words to describe that--that I wont use here LOL...

Gather copies of ALL your labs and info like Josie said. You are going to have to be your own expert until you get in to see one. NO epi until they rule out Carcinoid.. if you have already had it, then we know it isnt Carcinoid-it would have thrown you into a heart attack. The odds for Carcinoid are very low--but serious enough it HAS to be ruled out.

Heather has a list of testing the should be done while waiting for an expert---You can have that doc order those and cover your bases there.. Like baseline Tryptase levels...remember those levels naturally fluctuate every few hours, so having more than one level done can never hurt--especially it must be done within 3 hours of a shock episode. Mine so far have been 9, 10, 18, 43   see the huge differences??  Im waiting on the results of 3 more.

Stay on your meds and remember it isnt in your head. Its just that the knowledge ISNT in your docs head LOL..

We're here for you, dont get discouraged.
HUGS,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print