Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Purple discolorations and bruises from metal contact (Read 6997 times)
Jaxx
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Purple discolorations and bruises from metal contact
02/17/11 at 02:02:12

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of this.  I'm trying to consider my symptoms as a whole.  Rather than a whole bunch of unrelated things.

For example: I've always been considered clumsy (Ha, ha).  But I started keeping track of just how many objects I'm dropping, and I seem to drop or break 1-2 items a day nearly every day (I've broken something every day since I started the list; although I know I've made it whole days without dropping things or knocking over things...just not in the last two weeks).  Maybe I do it even more than I realize.

Here's my question.  If I come into contact with metals (Even pure metals), I bruise.  I get purple marks.  If I wear a metal for a long time such as a ring (my wedding ring); not only do I get the marks but over time the ring starts to wear down.  I have the back of a watch that's partially worn away.  The marks fade in a day or two. If I run a metal across my skin quickly the bruises look like scribbles.  
And yes I bruise very easily.  Although not all the time.  My neighbors used to think that my husband abused me, because when he gripped my arm to help me on the boat it left bruise marks.  (I've had iron and anemia tests; the iron shows normal)

I have been told:  Get real gold, you're too acidic, and by various doctors....????????????

Does anyone have any ideas?

Jen

IP Logged

TRama
Ex Member

Re: Purple discolorations and bruises from metal contact
Reply #1 - 02/17/11 at 02:33:36

Jen,

Question: do those marks appear right away, or do they appear a few hours after the exposure?

That sounds like a strange form of contact allergy to metals. People are mostly allergic to "filler" metals, present on alloys (which commercial metals usually are). Get real gold is a good advice.
To my knowledge, the only metal with a low allergenicity is titanium.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 02/17/11 at 05:14:14

I have worked in jewelry for eight years and the mark after you wear a 14kt ring is actually more common thing you think. I can remember countless times customers asking about this. In fact I have had this myself, I can at different times throughout the month take my ring off and draw on my face and it leaves a black line for about an hour, which doesn't wipe off. This is what I have been told by the goldsmiths. I have had several different explanations.
1) You iron count is low. 2)Your body chemistry is more on the acid side currently. 3) Your hormones are causing it. 4) The oils your body is excreting are reacting to the different alloys like copper or zinc.
The strange thing over the years is I have yet to see a man with this phenomenon, which tells me maybe it's a female hormonal thing.
Cleaning my ring doesn't seem to help either, it still happens.
As far as non-precious metals leaving bruises, that's just strange. Never heard of that. Usually if you have an allergy to a metal you get blisters or some kind of skin peeling or extreme itching. Weird.
Our bodies are all different, I have meet a few people that can not wear watches because they give off this electric energy or something and it always stops the watch.
If the back of your watch strap wears away really fast I would say you have an acid problem, buy some ph strips and start testing. It bet you'll be surprised. You can become more alkaline by eating less dairy and meats and eating more vegetables and certain fruits. Or there is certain supplements you can get that are alkaline boosters. I have taken one by TriMedica called Alka Max and all it contains is Calcium citrate, magnesium, potassium, and DGL. Hope this helps. I would sure love a scientific explanation for the gold rings leaving black marks.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 02/17/11 at 07:25:56

Hehe!  Both my father and my elder brother can not wear watches!!  It never failed, they would be given a watch or buy one and could wear it for a few weeks and sure enough the watch would stop ticking!   When the battery powered watches came in they tried them too thinking it was the winding mechanism - nope!!   Something about their magnetism which causes the watches to stop working!!!

As to the metal allergies, yes, that causes blisters and itchiness, peeling skin and the like.  My sister-in law has this a lot.  Belts, earrings, rings, watches and even the metal buttons on her jeans!  Within a hour she'll see the area where the metal touched her skin begin to get red and itchy and eventually swell and blister!  Gold is the only metal she can handle.    But she doesn't have any kind of marks.

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/19/11 at 06:26:11

Nickel is the most common metal that causes allergic skin reactions.  Many people have to tape over the fastener or snap on jeans or they get a rash from them or open sores.

Vitamin C strengthens the walls of blood vessels.  Wonder if increased C would help.  If acid is the problem, might be best to use Ester C, which is not acidic.  Also might want to check your diet and see if it's acidic.  There are lists you can Google of foods that are more acidic and those that are more basic.  I also read that Vitamin K (most in leafy greens) is good for strengthening blood vessels.

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 02/22/11 at 11:08:43

I did not know that about Vitamin C. No one has told me how much vitamin C most masto patients take. How much do you take Joan?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 02/22/11 at 14:00:50

I take 500-1000 mg./day, but I don't know what you can tolerate.  The usual way to know is to increase your dosage until you get diarrhea from it, then go back to the previous one.  That might be too hard for a masto patient to tell what's causing what.  I don't think 500-1000 increases my symtpoms, so that's what I take.

You might want to ask your doctor and then start with a very small dose at first and build up.  Be sure to check the ingredient list on the package for things that you can't have.

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 02/22/11 at 15:17:48

Oh, I can handle a lot of C. I have taken as much as 4000 while sick and I do just fine.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print