Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is a trigger? (Read 9298 times)
peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: What is a trigger?
Reply #15 - 02/21/11 at 09:45:26

key words components that amplify or regulate mast cell

Advances in mast cell signaling research have improved our understanding of the pathophysiology of anaphylaxis. The identification of signaling pathways and components that amplify signals or alter the threshold of activation of mast cells, leading to degranulation and mediator release, has the promise of identifying novel approaches for prevention and treatment of anaphylaxis. The discovery of polymorphisms and mutations in components that regulate mast cell signaling might lead to ways to identify subjects who are most susceptible to life-threatening episodes of anaphylaxis caused by mast cell activation.
these people say it beter then me

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/22/11 at 13:08:56

Hi Sarah ,

From what I have read directly and others said to me . I gather less is better with hormones . That even adding hormones ( pill etc ) can cause problems .

If i said day 5 PMT would it mean anything ?

Around my period I reduce all other triggers as much as possible Smiley I also increase my base antihistamines . ranitidine to 300mg twice a day and have my piriton ( chlorpheramine mealate every 4 hrs on the dot . I also increase my inhaler to 4 puffs twice  a day Smiley

I have stopped my chocolate , as this is a high histamine food anyway , so makes me more likely to go off .

I take cool baths , not cold , as this helps me as I am hotter around this time naturally , flushing more .

Some of my previous PMT was early reactions as I can change my mood , from grumpy to ok ( happy is a streach as I bleed heavily ) with increased anti histamines Smiley

The night I come on is the worst for me . So i rest as much as I can . No exercise .

There is hope that post menopause , and its irriating disruption of hormones , we may have less problems with this as a trigger Smiley

Hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Sarah4
Tutor

Reply #17 - 02/23/11 at 03:40:17

Hi Josie-

Thanks so much for the info.

I don't know exactly what you mean by PMT.

I am very interested by what you say about anti-histamines helping with your mood at this time.  I take zantac and zyrtec right now, but notice you take piriton.  My mother has taken chlor-tripolon for years and I think it is the same med.  Could I try some on top of the daily zyrtec I take, or would I take the piriton instead?  I really do need some help with this time period-

Sarah

Hyperadrenergic POTS, probable MCAD, HDCT (overlap EDS/Stickler Syndrome), Dermatographic and Cholinergic Urticaria, hypothyroidism, pituitary microadenoma, migraines, chronic pain

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #18 - 02/24/11 at 04:44:34

Josie is one smart cookie Smiley I trust her advice 100%.

Sarah I think you could try either or both as you suggested.. just pick one to try and wait to try the other one--to be able to tell whats working for you and what doesnt. I always think that any reaction means either that person has been exposed to too many triggers or the meds arent tweaked right.. either one calls for added antihistamine protection to stop the cycle of reacting.

I think Josie means PMS ? Josie I am 3 years post menopause now and if I wasnt I would be much sicker than I am.. those hormones just kicked my butt, took over and made it all worse for me. I am praying for a quick menopause for you hon Smiley
hugs and love to u both,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Sarah4
Tutor

Reply #19 - 02/24/11 at 07:36:20

Thanks so much Ramona.  I never thought I'd actually be looking forward to menopause...

Sarah

Hyperadrenergic POTS, probable MCAD, HDCT (overlap EDS/Stickler Syndrome), Dermatographic and Cholinergic Urticaria, hypothyroidism, pituitary microadenoma, migraines, chronic pain

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Piriton danger
Reply #20 - 02/24/11 at 08:02:43

Piriton has some warnings against combining it with some other meds that masto patients take, including other antihistamines:

Possible Drug Interactions
# Piriton has been known to react in a negative way with the following common medications: Ambien, Ativan, Benadryl, Flexeril, Midrin, Risperdal, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Zoloft and Zyrtec. Be sure to consult a complete list of drug interactions before using Piriton. Using medications that may react with Piriton can lead to severe and potentially fatal side effects. Always discuss your medication history with your doctor.

Read more: Side Effects of Piriton | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5579114_side-effects-piriton.html#ixzz1EuMyKNVB

In addition, I don't know if I'm typical, but I get tachycardia from decongestants.  I don't know if that's just me or if it's the masto kicking up.  Piriton contains an antihistamine AND a decongestant.

It's so important for us to check warnings and interactions and even the inert ingredients in whatever we take.

Joan

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/24/11 at 10:16:18

Joan , you raise an important concern for all of us .

This is the British national formulary , latest edition , guide to interactions with chlorpheramine mealate - piriton , chlom-tron ( your version )

Chlorphenamine has the following interaction information:

Lopinavir      plasma concentration of chlorphenamine possibly increased by lopinavir      In combination with ritonavir as Kaletra® (ritonavir is present to inhibit lopinavir metabolism and increase plasma-lopinavir concentration)—see also Ritonavir

Chlorphenamine belongs to Antihistamines, Sedating and will have the following interactions:
Opioid Analgesics      sedative effects possibly increased when sedating antihistamines given with opioid analgesics      

Chlorphenamine belongs to Antihistamines and will have the following interactions:
Sedative interactions apply to a lesser extent to the non-sedating antihistamines. Interactions do not generally apply to antihistamines used for topical action (including inhalation)

Alcohol      increased sedative effect when antihistamines given with alcohol (possibly less effect with non-sedating antihistamines)      
Antidepressants, Tricyclic      increased antimuscarinic and sedative effects when antihistamines given with tricyclics

Antidepressants, Tricyclic (related)      possible increased antimuscarinic and sedative effects when antihistamines given with tricyclic-related antidepressants      

Antimuscarinics      increased risk of antimuscarinic side-effects when antihistamines given with antimuscarinics      Many drugs have antimuscarinic effects; concomitant use of two or more such drugs can increase side-effects such as dry mouth, urine retention, and constipation; concomitant use can also lead to confusion in the elderly. Interactions do not generally apply to antimuscarinics used by inhalation

Anxiolytics and Hypnotics      increased sedative effect when antihistamines given with anxiolytics and hypnotics

Betahistine      antihistamines theoretically antagonise effect of betahistine      
Histamine      antihistamines theoretically antagonise effects of histamine —manufacturer of histamine advises avoid concomitant use      

MAOIs      increased antimuscarinic and sedative effects when antihistamines given with MAOIs      For interactions of reversible MAO-A inhibitors (RIMAs) see Moclobemide, and for interactions of MAO-B inhibitors see Rasagiline and Selegiline; the antibacterial Linezolid is a reversible, non-selective MAO inhibitor.

Tricyclic antidepressants are a no for us as they intereact with EPI Pens as well . This is an absolute avoid as it gives dodgy heart rythyms . Most commonly known as amitryptylline , nortryptylline .

Beta histidine is for vertigo and labarinthitis .

Antiloxics and hypnotics - anything ending in PAM - Diazepam ( valium ) , lorazepam etc . This is recognised by the docs . But at times we need our nerves settled and muscules relaxed so the docs take a dose dependant attitude Smiley

WE as a group of pateints should not take beta blockers - Any drug ending in OL - bisoprolol , sotolol , etc
As it STOPS Epi Pens working .
There are other options for blood pressure control .

The only connections I can see to benadryl is when it is combined with a degongestants or caffine ( cold and flu remedies ).

The interaction below falls into the , more common interactions :-

Potassium meds of any description , oral , have a large mention , as they can go hard in the bowel with piriton and cause trouble .

As for inert ingredients :- I can not tolerate any corn starch / maize starch , caramel colouring or gelatine .

Almost all my meds are liquids Smiley .

I find if I am reactive I am not drowsy ?/? Does anyone else have this experience . I should be fast asleep Smiley I found buscopan a step to far . I slept like a baby Smiley But I had shocked - 7 adrnelaine doses 4 weeks before and again 2 doses of adrenaline a week before . So I may just have been recovering . My pharmacist warned me about the interaction though Smiley
I haven't had it again Smiley

I balance all this information to make my decisions Smiley It is so complex for us all .

Josie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah ,

Pre menstral sydrome = pre menstral tension xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I used to have this worst on 2 days before and on day 5 of my period .This illness has bought double periods & double PMT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which I now think is reactions as I can help / cure it with anti histamines xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have zyrtac / benadryl / cetrizine ( same drug ) daily . And piriton (4 mg ) 4 times a day on good days and 6 times a day on bad days . This is the max 24 hour dose Smiley . I am also using it for emeergency as well . But Ramona has suggested visiteril , which is being used for brain fog , so I am seeing my immuno and am going to ask Smiley Im going to ask about hormones as well Smiley

Allegra ( fenfexidine )had loads of corn flour in ( huge pills ) so it had to go as it was giving me such grotty bowels that I was reacting to everything . if i could have allegra without corn I will be ahppy to try it . Its not availabe generally here . I am hoping the immuno will let a special preperation be made for me Smiley But its out of his budget .

hugs

jose

Ramona , thanks chick , my partner is looking forward to my menopause !!!!!!

When do you go to the NIH ???

Josie

love to you all
Josie

IP Logged

Shawna
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #22 - 03/04/11 at 00:27:00

I keep hearing about low histamine diet and how it helps. Can anyone direct me to a website or more information?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #23 - 03/04/11 at 01:16:48

Here's a link from the International Chronic Urticaria Society:

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

This is the easiest one I've found for patients to understand Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together