Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Benadryl confusion (just spoke to Dr. Castells) (Read 6600 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Benadryl confusion (just spoke to Dr. Castells)
02/03/11 at 08:03:23

Hi gang,

I just spoke to Dr. Castells by phone as i've been having some bad lip / tongue / mouth swelling and she told me I could use Benadryl up to 200 mg / day if it helped and that there was no issue with that.

I know I read on this board lots of folks mentioning rebound issues and the fact that it can cause further degradation of mast cells, etc.  but she said this wasn't the case. I'm so confused...where did folks who have been told to be wary of too much Benadryl hear it was something to be careful of? I'd love any feedback......

Thx so much!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Benadryl confusion (just spoke to Dr. Castells)
Reply #1 - 02/03/11 at 08:13:24

Hmmmm Well this is news to me Brita!!

If I remember correctly this information was given by Nancy Gould to one of our members here.  Nancy is a very well respected masto patient and lay researcher.  Nancy is a nurse who is now retired and she has SM, but Nancy's been studying and researching masto and MCAD and Dr. Castells knows her well.  I never questioned this information about benedryl due to the fact of who Nancy is and her reputation amongst the masto world.  

So, this is very interesting information you've got there and if this is what Dr. Castells herself has to say, then as far as I'm concerned, I'll no longer question it either.  Dr. Castells is not only the doctor here, but an international authority with a PhD to match it and I'll take her word over that of any patient and the majority of other doctors out there every time!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 02/03/11 at 09:46:58

Well that is interesting news!  If it's really true, then that's awesome!!! Smiley  Personally, I was having a really hard time when I was using a lot of Benadryl... but if what Dr. Castells says is true (and I have no reason to doubt her), then I was just in a flare and not making myself worse with too much Benadryl.

Mmmm... the sweet, sweet taste of liquid relief Cheesy

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/03/11 at 14:11:39

Oh my goodness, I'd be out like a light if I ever took 200 of the stuff.  Just 50 knocks me flat!

I had 50 in an IV this Fall when I had surgery, and the doctor asked me if I could get up and walk over to the surgery room (it was outpatient, so I was just going to get sedation).  All I had was the Benedryl, and let me tell you, I literally had a hard time lifting my finger up.  I told him "I don't think I'm walking anywhere!"

What can I say... I am a LIGHTWEIGHT! Cheesy

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/03/11 at 18:16:47

I was actually going to pose that question here, I've not come across any information like that in regards to benadryl and I have to take it daily, no way around it. I only take it in the evening, but every evening  and then as needed daily for those "trouble days" or of course I'm fully going down emergency. I was frustratedly just staying quiet on the subject but annoyed because I hadn't come across any info like that! I so far do not tolerate much and I truly am only alive because of it. I take 50 mg a pop and yes it makes me tired! If I have to function I follow it up with a caffeine chaser of my tolerance Smiley So her OK when you are a mess is 200 mg in a 24 hr period, not at once! So that's 2 every 6 hours, I've done that a few times after a major attack. I would not operate machinery and def stay home! :
So, as Mike so wonderfully said, I'm not an expert on mastocytosis, but I'm an expert on Sandi with well,,,, I'm not officially diagnosed but I could go stay at a Holiday Inn Express and then maybe diagnose myself. Smiley Oh and someone was talking about the 50mg IV drip, kicked me on my keester, I couldn't stand either, Ive mentioned this before but on an older masto conference transcript I read many masto patients have talked about a weird "reaction" to IV benadryl, shivering uncontrollably and total exhaustion/vertigo/almost to immediate pass out but overall it helped with the mast cell emergency. The docs were dumbfounded, and a lot of people in the crowd confirmed it happened to them too.  So did I have a point? Oh yeah, so I was trying like heck to not use benadryl and replace with some of the other tolerated drugs and so far none that I can tolerate along with the allegra, finally I thought to myself Sandi, you know this is helping you, it works for you, take it, and poof ya it works for me. Again I'm not the "old me" but I'm making it. Ok back to your mouth, is it mostly raw foods that are doing this to you? You may be able to cook the foods and tolerate it then, That works for a couple of things for me, petite frozen peas, trader joes, so far I tolerate no other variety that I can find. So possibly you just need to heat something in them that is ticking your mouth off! And again 50 mg of Benadryl orally hits the body way different than 50 mg IV! ooooohh , geeze sorry I'm babbling.... had a lot of iced tea today......  are you using a chapstick/ lipstick type of thing that is "newish" I went full on angelina Jolie lips with different lip salves. They blew up so big once they split open and were oozing nasty stuff all over, it was horribly painful, and took months to heal. My eyes and lips are also very hypersensitive to products, full on severe allergic conjunctivitis from makeups. Hair products will give me allergic conjunctivitis, lame lame lame! How'd I move to eyes from mouth..... ? Too much caffine, go to bed Sandi
Oh another issue, when I have had to massively antihistimine myself with allegra and benadryl sometimes I will be very "twitchy" restless leg/ arms etc. It's awful! I take and thank God tolerate 2 MPA caps by complementary prescriptions and it helps with the irregular heartbeat and the twitchy/ restlessness, it takes about 1 hr to calm it all down.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 02/04/11 at 00:17:13

I'm the total opposite... and I'm only saying this to demonstrate how different we can be from one another.

50mg doesn't make me sleepy at all! Grin  I've taken doses and taught class... picked my kids up from school... I don't think I've ever taken a nap.  Even the first time I had it (at the ER) they said, "This is going to make you sleepy."  Hmmm... I kept waiting for the reaction they were talking about (thinking it would be nice to relax after such a scary evening) and it never happened.  It sure did take care of the hives and nausea though!  Benadryl, how I love thee  Kiss

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/04/11 at 10:46:38

Hi all ,

This information is very useful to me and a huge relief . It has been a daily med and a mainstay of my emergency plan but I have been holding back on it as I didn't want to make myself iller . Smiley i met a lady in clinic here who routinely took 60mg daily .

As for the drowsy H1s and sleepyness

I only get sleepy with ceterizine or piriton if I am not reacting . even 12mg orally piriton / 20mg ceterizine . Otherwise it seems to be too busy working . I can have the IV dose and still not sleep .

Hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 02/13/11 at 09:10:02

It was me who was told by Nancy Gould to replace it with something else and use it as a rescue drug. I replaced my night time benadryl with chlortrimeton...Now I see Dr Castells says different.. I have the highest respect for her and I know she IS the expert.. I will take that advice then. :_

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print