Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Redoing Bone Marrow A & B (Read 1549 times)
chaco
Tutor

Redoing Bone Marrow A & B
02/02/11 at 11:18:50

It looks like I'm going to have to redo it. The results were inconclusive. No marrow elements were present in the clot section or aspirate for evaluation of mast cells. Scattered CD117 positive mast cell were identified in the core biopsy, but not enough there to fulfill WHO major or minor criteria for a definitive dx of systemic mastocytosis.  Genzyme Laboratories did the pathology.

Other than low wbc and leukopenia, my bloodwork was okay. No signs of leukemia or lymphoma. An interesting and non-specific finding was high folate. I say interesting because I am intolerant of folic acid supplementation.

My hematologist has no experience w/masto. All he could suggest was for me to redo the testing if I can afford it.  My insurance did not pay a dime on the first even though I have way exceeded my annual deductible already and the hospital was in-network. Just got the EOB yesterday and haven't had time to follow up yet w/a call.

Any comments?  Anything you think I should know before having it redone?

Deb Mc

IP Logged

chaco
Tutor

Re: Redoing Bone Marrow A & B
Reply #1 - 02/02/11 at 14:48:45

The lab report states, "Scattered CD117 positive mast cells are identified.  Now that was in the core/bone as they did not receive sufficient marrow or aspirate to evaluate for mast cells. Can anyone tell me what "CD117 positive" mast cells means or if it's normal for them to be present in the bone?  I didn't get a copy of the results until after my appointment so I didn't have a chance to ask the doc and my next follow up isn't until after the redo.

It further states, "Examination of the Prussian blue stain bone marrow biopsy demonstrates decreased iron stores."  I realize that was on the core/bone and not the aspirate/marrow, but was that the right color stain for evaluating for mast cells ?  I think I read on another thread that color matters.

Lastly, does anyone here with systemic mastocytosis have chronic leukopenia or low wbc?

The report does say that if there is clinical concern for systemic mastocytosis that a repeat bone marrow is in order.  The prescribing doc recommended it yet I'm torn because of the cost.  It doesn't help that I can't have pain meds or sedation.  The procedure itself aggravated my muscle and joint problems (I have EDS3 and a metabolic myopathy), leaving me now dreading the thought of having to repeat it.   What to do?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print