Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nikki's Story (Read 1898 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Nikki's Story
01/29/11 at 06:02:22

Hello All!  My story is similar to many of yours however we know we are a bit different in our disorder/disease.  My name I Nikki and I'm guessing my IA/MCAD started manifesting when I was 18. I'm 39 now so it's been a journey.  I had severe chest pain and became allergic to shellfish when I was 18. These both came on about the same time. Um?  I was always a bit tired and had bouts of anemia growing up but didn't give it much thought. When I was six weeks into my second pregnancy at 25 all hell broke loose and the anaphylactic reactions started for no apparent reason. The docs said it was probably the hormone change and should return to normal within a few weeks after delivery.  After delivery, things did clear up but I had ana reactions every month when my estrogen levels increased. After two years I had a hysterectomy.  Things improved but then started to slide again.  I have reacted to many, many things but of course my IGE tests all come back negative. The severe chest pain that I had at 18 came back with a vegenance and has never left. The docs said costochondoritis.  About six years ago the knee pain started.  I also began noticing all my symptoms really flared up in the spring/fall and following an illness.  I was diagnosed with IA and sent to Northwestern's Allergy Clinic in Chicago. They put me on Ketoifen and I've been taking that  for the past six years.  I thought I had made it through the fall this year scott free and then at the beginning of Dec I had the flu.  Still I thought I was home free as this was my first fall in years that I had not had an ana attack.  Well that changed on Dec 20.  Since then I have been a wreck. Last week I went to Mayo and and was diagnosed with IA versus MCAS.  Basically my doc said that there is a lot of overlap between the two so they will be measuring urine levels when I have reactions.
Let me mention my brother, only sibling, died from anaphylaxis at age 22 aprox 15 years ago. He had been a severe asthmatic since age 2 and allergic to peanuts since age 1. He had been in a near fatal car accident in May 1995 and had the entire summer off work. During his summer off he had two seperate surgeries (lung and knee) as a result of the accident.  In August just about the time he was considered recovered, he was hit by a car on his pedal bike.  In Sept he went back to work,  his long-time gf move out, and was put on an antibiotic for an infection (prob from the surgeries) Two weeks upon returning to work, he ate something in the cafe that had hidden peanut butter in it and died.  They had onsite paramedics that administered epi but and tried desperately to save him but he just could not fight it off.  Looking at his life, I would guess he had masto but back then nobody knew anything about this rare diease. I had never heard of ana shock until he died. Who would have thought a year and a half later, I would be living his life.  
I have a lot to live for and I'm on going to tackle this disorder head on.  Glad to meet you all!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Nikki's Story
Reply #1 - 01/29/11 at 08:01:06

Hi Nikki!  Welcome to our family and I hope you find a home amongst us!

I'm really very sorry to hear about your brother.  That must have been a tremendous loss to your family and it must be even harder for you now to have to live with this situation.  With two small children, it must haunt you now thinking that you could repeat history.  Unfortunately, we all have these kind of haunting thoughts, but it's a matter of trying to learn from our experiences so that we don't repeat them.

Nikki, your situation is different from that of your brothers.  He had what is called IgE mediated allergy.  This means that he had a true allergy to peanuts and this is indeed a real menace for what happens is that the mast cells throughout his body all triggered and he had massive flooding and reaction to all of the mediators that the mast cell releases.  You see, the mast cell has tiny granules of very potent chemical and when the mast cell releases it may end up triggering other celsl with their potent mediators as well and this is what causes full blown anaphylaxis.

But for masto patients, be it IA, or MCAD or systemic masto, this is a bit different for most often than not it's not an IgE related reaction.  It's not always full blown anaphylaxis with us and sometimes only partial reacting.  So we're better off than those patients in that their entire system enters into the reaction.  He may have had masto as well, and that would only contribute to the sitaution, but it's being a known IgE allergy, this leaves you in a better situation if you are nto allergic to peanuts.  

I'm glad you're here Nikki, for we can help you learn to live with this disease and gain confidence and security.  The disease, for the most part, is not deadly to us, and presents itself mainly as a pure pain in the neck instead - an inconvenience.  It's not nice to be sick, but it's really not as dangerous of a disease as it could be for the majority of us.   I'm sorry you're sick, but I'm glad that  you found us and that perhaps we can help you!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Nikki's Story
Reply #2 - 01/30/11 at 11:26:41

I agree.  My brother was absolutely in worse shape than I am.  He passed 15 years ago and started his ill path 36 years ago so at that time they just didn't know what they know now.  The years have been kind to us through medical research and breakthrus.  I have suffered for many years and am seeing signs in my youngest child so I decided enough is enough, I have to find out what is wrong with me for not only my sake but for the sake of my children and grandchildren.  It is a very scary situation when the attacks strike but I am looking forward to a more stable future by connecting with the right medical community and support groups such as this one. Knowledge is power.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print