Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low dose aspirin therapy? (and ques re: Claritin as rescue med vs. other options) (Read 15154 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Low dose aspirin therapy? (and ques re: Claritin as rescue med vs. other options)
01/27/11 at 11:09:13

Hi gang,

I was doing sooo much better after starting the Gastrocrom last week and then - splat - last night I went down the crapper and I had the quivering tongue / mouth / lips that then went into huge swelling,  massive flushing with nausea, diarrhea etc. and despite taking Benadryl and Claritin Ready-Tabs (more on that below), I woke up still in its clutches and it's gotten worse. I'm so discouraged.

I emailed Dr. Greenberger who suggested i start low-dose aspirin (81 mg) in the a.m. - has anyone tried this and is this something Dr. Castells and/or Dr. Akin ever prescribe?

Also, have any of your dr's suggested Claritin Ready-Tabs as 'rescue' med like Dr. Greenberger? They don't seem to do much for me Sad and he seems quite wedded to them and hasn't suggested any alternatives (though I tried to push without being pushy Smiley). I'm trying to hang in there but I'm discouraged and scared i will end up in the hospital again if I can't get ahead of this.

Here are my current / updated meds - I wish I new how much I could "up things" safely to get stabilized again without "od'ing" or hurting my liver etc.:

Gastrocrom - 200 mg 4 x day
Zyrtec - 20 mg in a.m and 20 mg in P.m.
Zantac - 300 mg in a.m. and 300 m.g. in p.m.
Singulair - 10 mg in evening
(NEW) Aspirin - 81 mg in a.m.

Any feedback would be great. Thx! - Brita

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Low dose aspirin therapy? (and ques Claritin as rescue med vs. other options)
Reply #1 - 01/27/11 at 11:34:30

Hi Brita,

I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time!

A few ideas for you...

Did you take an aspirin this morning?  That could be the cause of this attack.  Aspirin is sometimes helpful for people with high prostaglandin levels... it binds to the prostaglandins and helps flush them out of the body.  But personally, I know that I will never try taking aspirin, especially after my recent experiment with turmeric.  Think carefully if you've had any of these symptoms: heavy periods, nosebleeds, easy bruising, or petechiae (they look like tiny blood blisters).  Look at your skin carefully... I always have a few petechiae, but sometimes they're very tiny.  I don't notice them unless I look closely.  

Degranulation can cause problems with bleeding due to the release of histamine, leukotrienes, and heparin.  I bet you've heard of heparin... it's a blood thinner used to treat people having a stroke or heart attack or to prevent clots.  Our mast cells contain natural heparin.  When you have a full-blown reaction and your mast cells release all of their contents, heparin is one of them.  See the problem?  Also, if your basophils degranulate at the same time (like mine do), the PAF will increase the vasodilation.  Unless you have plenty of clotting factors, this can be a big problem!  I've had TONS of hematological testing, but everything is "normal,"... I still bleed very easily.  I've never had an "allergic" reaction to aspirin, but aspirin is a blood thinner.  Great if you're having a heart attack; bad if you bleed at the drop of a hat.

Do you have at least one EpiPen for emergencies???  VERY important.  If your rescue medication (Benadryl or Claritin) is not working, USE AN EPIPEN AND GO TO THE ER.  I'm very serious.  Liquid Benadryl should start working within five minutes.  If you don't have an EpiPen, either get a Rx or go to the ER the next time this happens!  When they see you flushed with acute diarrhea and nausea... and you tell them about the tingly mouth/lips they should recognize what's going on.

The amount of medication you're on is NOT going to hurt your liver.  My medication regime is similar to yours, although I take 20mg of Claritin in the morning instead of Zyrtec... it might help to alternate different types of H1s.  I also take a higher dose of Singulair (30mg).  Antihistamines are generally very safe... it's much safer to take an extra dose than to go "down the crapper."  The recommended doses on the bottles you buy OTC are for people with heartburn or a runny nose... not for people like us.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Low dose aspirin therapy? (and ques Claritin as rescue med vs. other options)
Reply #2 - 01/27/11 at 15:47:28

My doc said that Claritin is the mildest of the less-sedating H1 antihistamines.  If you can tolerate Allegra/fexofenadine, it might help more than the Claritin or Zyrtec.  Or you could alternate fexo and Zyrtec.  I believe most people take 180 mg. (time-release) of fexofenadine twice/day.  I use the 60 mg. tabs twice/ day and then a Zyrtec at bedtime.  Also, some people find hydroxyzine (Atarax) is better for a flare, but it can be more sedating.  Liquid Benadryl probably works the fastest.  Zyrtec also comes in a liquid.

Are you strictly on the low histamine diet?  It could have been a food that knocked you down.

Regarding your liver, antihistamines have been tested and shown to be safe at much higher levels than what we usually have to take, and they don't harm the liver, except that a person can o.d. from too much Benadryl.  50 mg. at a time is a safe dose for an adult.

Hope you feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 01/27/11 at 15:48:17

My doc said that Claritin is the mildest of the less-sedating H1 antihistamines.  If you can tolerate Allegra/fexofenadine, it might help more than the Claritin or Zyrtec.  Or you could alternate fexo and Zyrtec.  I believe most people take 180 mg. (time-release) of fexofenadine twice/day.  I use the 60 mg. tabs twice/ day and then a Zyrtec at bedtime.  Also, some people find hydroxyzine (Atarax) is better for a flare, but it can be more sedating.  Liquid Benadryl probably works the fastest.  Zyrtec also comes in a liquid.

Are you strictly on the low histamine diet?  It could have been a food that knocked you down.

Regarding your liver, antihistamines have been tested and shown to be safe at much higher levels than what we usually have to take, and they don't harm the liver, except that a person can o.d. from too much Benadryl.  50 mg. at a time is a safe dose for an adult.

Hope you feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

pdl
Rookie

Reply #4 - 01/27/11 at 16:08:57

I am on 8 aspirin a day.  I had to build up to that. Starting with half a baby aspirin doubling the dose every 2-3 days.  You may react to it at first but then it will settle.  What it does is cause the cells to degranulate but then that is it.  It stops them from doing it over and over again from what I understand.  So you feel bad at first and then it gets better.

That definitely happened with me when I first started Gastrocrom.  I felt horrible, sad and like I was going to melt down for about 4 days and then after that I was fine.  

I would give it time, just be careful that it does not cause anaphylaxis or severe symptoms.

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #5 - 01/27/11 at 16:14:20

Thank you guy so much...i'm so grateful as I feel like the nice branch  I'd been holding on to a few days ago suddenly turned into a mere thread.

I am definitely nervous about the aspirin for all the reasons starflower so eloquently articulated (and I knew far less about the potential risks and was already apprehensive) but I definitely did not take it until after the attack was in full-throttle (started this afternoon - the attack started yesterday).  I do bleed easily and I'm a big bruiser.....I wish I could just talk to Dr. Greenberger and ask more questions about why he wants me to try this, my concerns etc. Arrrrrgh!!!!

Dr. Greenberger seems VERY wedded to doing things in a specific order and since i have yet to meet him in person and feel a bit at his mercy since I so desperately need their input, I am going to give it a whirl for as long as I can, PROVIDED I don't get worse, in which case I will get right off.

I would like to try the Allegra (perhaps switching out one or two of the Zyrtecs) but, for now, since i don't want to piss off Dr. Greenberger and he seems entrenched in his way of doing things, I think I need to try to stick with his protocol until I head up to Boston and see him in-person with Dr. Castells. I am seeing them separately (two different appts in the same day and Dr. Castells is 1st) so it will be interesting to see if she has different thoughts on daily meds and rescue meds and whether she is more game to switch in Allegra etc. I am still trying to understand if the Brigham & Women folks tend to all follow the same regimen(s) or if they have real differences of opinion on medications / dosages etc. ? (I'd love if anyone has any thoughts on this).

I do have two eip pens and i"ve been keeping them at my fingertips, just hoping I don't need them. I have my liquid benadryl which I wish i could just gulp down by the bottle-full (i took 50 mg today with 20 mg claritin and a pepcid on top of my usual meds),  and if things are still going or staying South tomorrow, I may try Allegra (my husband has some 180 mg tablets).

I'm on a pretty rigid diet so i don't think it's anything from food (I almost wish it were because then i could avoid it...although there are so few foods left on my list it would be a bit depressing) - i can't think of what it was....right now i'm so reactive it could have been the kind of toilet paper I used!

One question - is the epi pen only to be used when one feels airway constriction or will it also help if i end up in one of my endless vomiting fits (with general mouth swelling, flushing etc.), even if i can still breathe? Sorry - I'm still so new to all of this!

THANK YOU! It feels like you all are life-rafts in this horribly choppy sea.....Brita

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 01/28/11 at 01:00:19

nycpots wrote on 01/27/11 at 16:14:20:
One question - is the epi pen only to be used when one feels airway constriction or will it also help if i end up in one of my endless vomiting fits (with general mouth swelling, flushing etc.), even if i can still breathe? Sorry - I'm still so new to all of this!

Hi Brita,

If you're going to persist with the aspirin, then please tell Dr. Castells and get her advice!!!  I've never heard of someone with MCAD having any success with aspirin... it's always people with SM.  Pdl (Peter) has SM.  The fact that you already bruise easily is not a good sign.  I don't know much about Dr. Greenberger (although I haven't heard anything bad about him)... I just can't understand why someone who knows about mast cell disorders would prescribe aspirin... which is on TMS's list of drugs to avoid (!!)... without testing your prostaglandin levels or AT LEAST SEEING YOU FIRST.  Angry  Always remember that the choice is yours.  Don't worry about "pissing off" a doctor... he's not the one that has to live in your body.  A good doctor will listen to your concerns and do his/her best to work with you.

Anyway... an EpiPen is the only thing that will stop a severe attack.  People with severe allergies (my son has a peanut allergy) are told to use one at the very first sign of symptoms... not to wait around and see what happens.  Of course, that doesn't work for us. Shocked  We'd be using EpiPens every day.  Difficulty breathing is NOT the only reason to use an EpiPen.  You can also die from cardiovascular collapse.  Swelling in your mouth is a dangerous sign because it could easily spread to your airway.  Personally, I wouldn't mess around with that... especially if liquid Benadryl doesn't help within five minutes.  The last time I used an EpiPen the ER didn't have to do much for me.  The doctor said I treated myself Grin  Better to be safe than sorry!  Anaphylaxis ALWAYS has the potential to be life-threatening.  It's just that some of us experience it so much... we're either in denial or we start to get used to the fine line between moderate (treatable at home) and severe (time for the lights and sirens).  

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

pdl
Rookie

Reply #7 - 01/28/11 at 11:53:45

I am Pdl...my name is Deb... not Peter Smiley  I am a 32 yr old female.   I am on the aspirin and I have MCAD.  It has helped with syncope.  Hope I didn't come across rude, I am not trying to be.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #8 - 01/28/11 at 12:08:13

Sorry!  There was a "pdl" on our other website (Peter, a man) and I thought he had migrated over here.

Anyway... Deb Wink  You're seriously the first person I've heard of with MCAD doing aspirin therapy.  What physician are you working with?  Are you 100% sure that what you have is MCAD and not SM (or possibly MMAS)?  Have you had your prostaglandin levels tested?  What is your baseline tryptase?

I also don't mean to be rude with these questions... it's just that there are several different types of mast cell disorders and aspirin therapy is not appropriate for all of them.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

pdl
Rookie

Reply #9 - 01/28/11 at 12:20:08

I am seeing Dr Afrin at MUSC.  They diagnosed me from a stomach and intestinal biopsy with a positive CD117 and high 30s mast cell.  My tryptase was in the high teens I believe, just above normal, I think that is why he believes I have MCAD because I don't fit into the SM category for the WHO criteria.  He does CMP, CBC, and salicaytes testing every two to three weeks.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #10 - 01/28/11 at 13:16:07

Ah... I saw your post on the other website and I'm so glad you followed us over here!

Maybe you've seen this, but here are the criteria for diagnosing SM:

Quote:
Major criteria
Biopsy finding of multiple dense accumulations of mast cells
in bone marrow or in other non-skin tissue.
Minor criteria
1.  In bone marrow biopsy, more than 25% of the mast cells
are spindle-shaped (elongated) or in bone marrow
smears, more than 25% of the mast cells are atypical
mast cells.

2.  Detection of a point mutation at codon 816 in the kit
receptor gene. This may be found in bone marrow or
blood or other internal organ.

3.  Mast cells in bone marrow, blood, or other internal organs
are found to have on their surface the kit receptor plus
molecules called CD2 and/or CD25.

4.  Serum total tryptase level persistently greater than 20
ng/ml. This criterion cannot be used if the patient has a
clonal non-mast cell associated hematologic disorder.

A tryptase of 30 is a good indication of SM, but that does NOT mean you have aggressive mastocytosis... if you did your tryptase would be in the 100s and you would be very sick.  Have you had a bone marrow biopsy?  That's important to check for two reasons... 1) Because that's where mast cells are produced, and 2) Because sometimes people with SM have other bone marrow irregularities (due to mutations like c-kit and jak-2).  SM is a "neoplastic" (benign) disorder of "primary mast cell activation."  MCAD is a disorder of "secondary mast cell activation."  You can't have both... it's one or the other Wink

I can't believe you're being tested every 2-3 weeks.  I've heard other bad things about Dr. Afrin and I seriously think you should consider going to a real mast cell expert like Dr. Akin or Dr. Castells.  As long as you don't have aggressive SM, tryptase has little to do with the severity of your symptoms.  Mine, for example, is 4.98 (I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune form of MCAD) and my symptoms have ranged from moderate (hives, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, joint pain, petechiae) to severe (anaphylaxis).  Thankfully, I'm doing well right now.  I take a mixture of very safe medications (anti-histamines, Singulair, and Gastrocrom).  I also put myself on a gluten-free, low-histamine diet, and I'm very careful about my other triggers (sunlight, stress, vibration, traveling, estrogen, etc...).  Personally, I couldn't handle those long trips to see a doctor every few weeks... the physical stress would do a lot more harm than good.  Unless you have something complicating your condition... anemia, diabetes, a systemic infection, an autoimmune disorder, etc... I just can't see why you need such frequent testing.

Again... I hope you don't think I'm being rude.  I just really think you're being shafted by your doctor and I hate to see someone suffering for no good reason!

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #11 - 01/29/11 at 11:27:27

Thx so much for the responses. I am going to do a few tests in the coming days (ugh - hate the idea but i think it's the only way) to see if I can correlate the rise in most recent symptoms (twitching mouth, swollen lips and tongue etc. etc.) after ingestion of 1) aspirin 2) zyrtec 3) zantac 4) claritin redi-tabs as SOMETHING in one or more of those is definitely triggering more problems. UGGGH. I just wish there were a way to dump me in a petri dish and check reactions etc.

I feel like i am in a bit of a bind as I don't want to "piss off" Dr. Greenberger by "questioning him" re: Aspirin concept through an email to Dr. Castells before I've even met either of them.....but I also would really like her opinion on that AND on whether I can try Allegra instead of so much Zyrtec or other rescue drug options etc. As of now, I am thinking (and hope i don't regret this) that  I am going to just try to hang in there until Feb. 11th and do my own 'tests' per the above and, if i start to really see a correlation between a rise in rxns and one or more of the meds, i'm going to back-off one or more of the drugs and, if appropriate, swamp in something else.

Re: Zantac - quick question - does anyone know why most folks are on Zantac  (Ranitidine) vs. Pepcid (Famotidine)? (I am wondering if the red dye in the Zantac is part of the problem but I'm scared to switch since it seems to be the drug most folks use.....I'm going to post this as a separate topic just in case folks don't see it who aren't reading this thread as I'd really love any feedback. THANK YOU!!!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #12 - 01/29/11 at 11:36:17

Hi Brita,

There's really no big difference between ranitidine and famotidine.  The only H2 I would recommend avoiding is Tagamet (cimetidine) because it's known to interfere with a lot of other medications.  It can also boost the activity of estrogen in your body... for me that would be VERY BAD.  Estrogen is a known degranulator and one of my worst triggers.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 02/07/11 at 14:29:52

Hi Brita,

I can only speak from my own experience at this point.  I have had systemic mastocytosis for the past seven years, and recently found out that I had elevated prostaglandins.  I talked to Dr. Butterfield at Mayo, and they put me on low dose aspirin therapy.  I was taking Gastrcrom, but was having side effects from it.  I am just taking one baby aspirin in the morning (81 mg) along with 1/2 generic Claritin This Loratidine is from Sam's Club, and you get a whole year's supply for $15, by the far the best med I can tolerate so far!)  I tried the Clarinex, the Claritin, various drug store brands, and for me, this stuff from Sam's Club works the best, plus it is cheap!

In the evening, I take just one Gastrcrom and 1/2 tsp of kid dose grape zyrtec (generic from CVS).  Yes, your blood is a little thinner from the asprin, however, I also have a family history of cardiovascular disease, so in my case, it's probably more helpful.  I am in the early stages of it.  For the first week or so I felt a little weird, but now I feel better than when I was just taking Gastrcrom alone.  I was going to the bathroom all the time, tons of muscle aches, etc, but now am starting to do better.

I would find out if you have elevated prostaglandins first.  In my case, I have one of the weirder types of systemic masto, with elvated prostaglandins, tryptase running about 20, but all other mediators are normal.  I am also cKit mutation negative.  I had a positive bone marrow biopsy.  I've seen both Dr. Akin and Dr. Butterfield.

My advice to you is to get more information on what type you have and then that will probably dictate the types of treatment regimine you should go on.  Realize too, that no two patients are the same with this disease as it is a systemic condition and everyone will vary, based on their own physiology.  You have to sort of find your "magic mix" of meds, which is somewhat unlike other diseases.  That is accomplished through careful medical supervison and some trial and error.

Let me know how you make out.  I would be intereted to find out what you learn from Dr. Castills about the aspirin.

Take care!  Best of luck to you!

Jill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print