Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Extra H1/H2's before dental work? (Read 3216 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Extra H1/H2's before dental work?
01/26/11 at 05:23:54

Hi gang,

I read through past posts re: dental work and i was unclear on whether folks suggest "upping" their H1 and/or H2 histamine blockers before any invasive dental procedures, regardless of anesthetic etc.  (my dentist and I try to only use topical anesthetic but even that causes some issues).

I have lots of 'teeth issues' - my periodontist conjectures it's due to in part to the lack of saliva in my mouth (from all the histamine-blockers) which serve as natural "cleaning agents" with all its enzymes etc.).....as a result, dental work is part of my life but i'm trying to figure out how to manage it with the MACD.

Any feedback would be truly appreciated!

All the best,

Brita

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Extra H1/H2's before dental work?
Reply #1 - 01/26/11 at 05:42:26

Brita,

Your doctor may have a point, but I don't think it's very strong for you've not been on high antihistamine therapy for very long.  

When I saw my dermatologist the other day she showed me a brand new article published by some Brazilian doctors on the MC involvement in the bocal tissues.  

I have a feeling that it's the masto behind your problems in that there may be degranulating going on inside your mouth and this may be causing increased inflammation and problems!    It may not be directly a result of masto, but it may be connected in that one is tiggering the other.

Start googling mast cells and oral related subjects and see what kind of research you come up with and send it to your dentist.  It may end up not only educating him as to the involvement of the MCs in the mouth, but it may help your specific case as well.

As to upping your meds, YES!  You have three issues going on there - one is the anxiety we all get with dentists.  two is the stress upon those tissues in his working there and three is any bacteria or enzymes he may end up introducing into your system.  Any one of these three may end up causing extra activity.   You may even want to take something like vallium if you get extra nervous!!

Use the REMA protocols as your pre-medication routine for they were designed for risk situations like this.   I know it seems ridiculous to compare it with a colonoscope or CT scan, but you've got to remember that for the great majority of people out there, dental proceedures cause the highest levels of anxiety in people and just that alone is enough to put you into outer space! Shocked

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/26/11 at 08:26:51

Another problem you could be having is Sjogren's Syndrome, which is a fairly common autoimmune disorder.  It might not be bad enough to get a diagnosis... and it might improve once you're more stable.  I started going to the dentist every four months because of dryness... and using Biotene toothpaste (which helped a lot).  Even though I'm on a lot of antihistamines, the moisture has returned to my mouth Smiley  I'm not entirely sure why (maybe because of the reduced cytokine levels), but I'm grateful!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #3 - 01/26/11 at 15:50:44

Thanks so much for the tips and advice - i am going to talk to my dentist about biotene toothpaste and also pre-medicate!

Heather - do you take extra antihistamines when you go to the dentist (I too am on a four month cycle on the dental front) and if so, what's your approach?

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/26/11 at 17:31:08

The biotene is at the normal stores! Target, wal-mart etc oddly not in the really "obvious" part of the toothpastes usually directly under the "dental pics" and oral wash devices. They have the toothpaste a mouthwash and mouth drops. Again beware of the ingredients and just try a bit to make sure you don't have a problem. It is great stuff, put my DH on it years ago! I's soooooo premedicate before any dental procedure. Just let your dentist know you did and make sure to have the emergency protocol in your file for the dentist just incase you ever have an episode while in his office!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 01/27/11 at 01:16:34

nycpots wrote on 01/26/11 at 15:50:44:
Thanks so much for the tips and advice - i am going to talk to my dentist about biotene toothpaste and also pre-medicate!

Heather - do you take extra antihistamines when you go to the dentist (I too am on a four month cycle on the dental front) and if so, what's your approach?

Ditto what Sandi said about Biotene.  Their mouthwash is good too.

I don't pre-medicate just for a cleaning, but I do for anything more than that.  Like in December... I had to get two crowns.  Vibration is a trigger for me and I HATE the sound of the drill Cry  Not only did I pre-medicate... I also got a Rx for 10mg of valium!  It helped a lot.

There are basically two protocols for pre-medication floating around... one from Dr. Castells (which is on the TMS website) and one from Dr. Escribano called the REMA protocols.  The basic idea is the same... H1/H2s, Singulair, and prednisone.  (I usually skip the prednisone since it gives me insomnia, but I would take it for something really big like surgery).

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY