Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shocking (Read 1741 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Shocking
01/04/11 at 14:52:16

(Archived from sharon - nc - original forum)
Lynne's comment about speaking about shocking like its common place keeps rolling over in my head. I am one of those people who do that. I am a shocker. I can say oh, and then I shocked, that was after we were at Macy's but before...and we didn't get to...just as casually as if I'd said we went to the Gap before Macy's.
I try not to think about or maybe I do try to think about it. I'm not sure. What I do know is that I am never unprepared to manage a shock - no matter where I am going or who I am going with. I have my emergency medicine stash in my purse at church, at a restaurant, at the mall, anywhere I go. Because I realize that shocking is the most dangerous thing I do, and most likely the most dangerous thing I will ever do in this life. And I have little control over it.
I am cautious of triggers. I am very carefull about what I eat (foods are big on my trigger list), I am carefull what I touch (yep, there are things that I can touch that on a tickly day can cause me to shock), I am carefull, carefull, carefull on trigger avoidance. I shocked two weeks ago. In the last couple of years I have averaged six to eight weeks between shocks. I have gone much longer than that, years in fact, but right now masto is not in good control for me.
Its scary, yes, perhaps that is why I speak about it in such a casual tone, I don't want it to have power over me, and yet it does. I also feel the need not to make a big deal out of it, I fear that my friends and family will pull away. Its quite an odd thing. I struggle with my perceptions on shocking, I realize the danger and the frequency and that at this juncture we are doing medically the best we can. Perhaps I feel that having such a cavalier tone in speaking about shocking takes some of the fear away. In reality it doesn't.

Lynne thank you for that comment, its been interesting to think about.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Shocking
Reply #1 - 01/04/11 at 15:04:44

(Archived from sharon-nc - original forum)

Lynne's comment about speaking about shocking like its common place keeps rolling over in my head. I am one of those people who do that. I am a shocker. I can say oh, and then I shocked, that was after we were at Macy's but before...and we didn't get to...just as casually as if I'd said we went to the Gap before Macy's.
I try not to think about or maybe I do try to think about it. I'm not sure. What I do know is that I am never unprepared to manage a shock - no matter where I am going or who I am going with. I have my emergency medicine stash in my purse at church, at a restaurant, at the mall, anywhere I go. Because I realize that shocking is the most dangerous thing I do, and most likely the most dangerous thing I will ever do in this life. And I have little control over it.
I am cautious of triggers. I am very carefull about what I eat (foods are big on my trigger list), I am carefull what I touch (yep, there are things that I can touch that on a tickly day can cause me to shock), I am carefull, carefull, carefull on trigger avoidance. I shocked two weeks ago. In the last couple of years I have averaged six to eight weeks between shocks. I have gone much longer than that, years in fact, but right now masto is not in good control for me.
Its scary, yes, perhaps that is why I speak about it in such a casual tone, I don't want it to have power over me, and yet it does. I also feel the need not to make a big deal out of it, I fear that my friends and family will pull away. Its quite an odd thing. I struggle with my perceptions on shocking, I realize the danger and the frequency and that at this juncture we are doing medically the best we can. Perhaps I feel that having such a cavalier tone in speaking about shocking takes some of the fear away. In reality it doesn't.

Lynne thank you for that comment, its been interesting to think about.

Sharon in NC
15 September 2008 05:26 PM

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Shocking
Reply #2 - 01/31/11 at 05:36:00

Wow! Amazing how you put my thoughts into words.  I too try not to let it take power over me but sometimes feel like it does. I also speak very casually about it whereas I know it is not a casual situation.  I'm always prepared no matter where I'm at or who I'm with. If I have nothing else on me, I do have my epi's and benedryl. It's like another limb.  Shocking is horrible but become a part of our life.  I long for the day when I can say, "it's been a whole year and I haven't shocked" but it may never come. If not, at least I know I'm doing what I can to manage it. I'm also trying to tread that fine line where you don't want people pulling away. In fact I just got back from Mayo and really didn't tell anyone I was going with the exception of family members and one or two close friends. When I got back, I did not drive any conversations there and if asked kept it short, sweet and positive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print