Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ketotifen & Tryptase Testing (Read 4435 times)
Lindy
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
UK
Ketotifen & Tryptase Testing
01/24/11 at 02:11:52

Arrgh having problems finding my way around here  Undecided
I can't find my original Introduction Post.. it probably didn't find its way over or I am looking in the wrong place  .. never mind.
This seems as good a place as any for this post  Grin
Just to say that my local hospital has agreed to do a Tryptase test (my GP wrote to them) but I have to stop the ketotifen for a few days  first as they say it will interfere with the results.. I'm a bit scared of doing this but I guess I will once I have got myself into the right frame of mind..Will leave it until until after my holiday...
My GP has doubled my ketotifen prescription so I can take more if I want to..I am going to Cairo in 3 weeks time for 2 weeks and am a bit concerned about the flight etc.
It is interesting that the letter to my GP from the hospital path dept confirmed salicylate as a substance that can degranulate mast cells and as a cause of non IgE  mediated severe adverse reactions so hopefull the other GPs in the practice will now be a bit less patronising now...
Lindy xx

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Ketotifen & Tryptase Testing
Reply #1 - 01/24/11 at 03:13:41

Lindy,  you can get the REMA protocols and premedicate for your flight.  This is what I do when I fly to the States from Brazil, so I know the stress of a long flight.  By premedicating, it will leave you less concerned about reacting since you should be properly prepared.   However, reserve a wheelchair.  I saw the size of Heathrow these days and there's just NO WAY to walk through those terminals!   You don't need to be wasting your energy with all that walking before the flight begins and you won't have the energy to use after the flight ends, so a wheel chair is a life saver!  It's other benefit is that when you are flying internationally or nationally due to either the immigration and customs lines or just the fuss with the security section, being in a wheelchair gives you VIP treatment the entire way through!!!  

So, ,don't feel like you're a 2nd class citizen, but take full advantage of protecting yourself and saving you and whoever is with you a huge amount of stress having to deal with the airport mess!!  I tell you, my family was SO pleased that I was in a wheelchair when I went to Ireland 3 years ago for not only did we bypass ALL the lines, but going through customs was an absolute breeze for all 5 of us!!!  And my husband really appreciated it because he didn't have to worry about me and what all that stress would do to me!   Yet, it ended up that it saved my life because on the way back home I went into anaphylaxis that was held in check by the protocol meds.  If I'd had to walk it, I'd have gone into a full blown attack!

So, think about it Lindy!   Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Lindy
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
UK
Re: Ketotifen & Tryptase Testing
Reply #2 - 01/24/11 at 04:17:39

Thanks Lisa Smiley
I just googled REMA protocol and guess what came up first.. your post on the old forum.. I have printed it off.
Thanks for the suggestion about the wheelchair too  Smiley
Lindy xx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print