Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Masitinib for the treatment of systemic and cutaneous mastocytosis (Read 1980 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Masitinib for the treatment of systemic and cutaneous mastocytosis
01/05/11 at 17:28:01

Am J Hematol. 2010 Dec;85(12):921-5.
Masitinib for the treatment of systemic and cutaneous mastocytosis with handicap: a phase 2a study.

Paul C, Sans B, Suarez F, Casassus P, Barete S, Lanternier F, Grandpeix-Guyodo C, Dubreuil P, Palmérini F, Mansfield CD, Gineste P, Moussy A, Hermine O, Lortholary O.

Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France.
Abstract

Treatment options for patients suffering from indolent forms of mastocytosis remain inadequate with the hyperactivation of mast cells responsible for many of the disease's systemic manifestations. Masitinib is a potent and highly selective oral tyrosine kinase inhibitor. A combined inhibition of c-Kit and Lyn make it particularly efficient in controlling the activity of mast cells and therefore, of potential therapeutic benefit in mastocytosis. Masitinib was administered to 25 patients diagnosed as having systemic or cutaneous mastocytosis with related handicap (i.e., disabilities associated with flushes, depression, pruritus and quality-of-life) at the initial dose levels of 3 or 6 mg/kg/day over 12 weeks. In accordance with the AFIRMM study, response was based upon change of clinical symptoms associated with patient handicap at week 12 relative to baseline, regardless of disease subtype. Improvement was observed in all primary endpoints at week 12 including a reduction of flushes, Hamilton rating, and pruritus as compared with baseline by 64% (P = 0.0005), 43% (P = 0.0049), and 36% (P = 0.0077), respectively. An overall clinical response was observed in 14/25 patients (56%; [95%CI = 37%-75%]), with sustainable improvement observed throughout an extension phase (>60 weeks). Common adverse events were edema (44%), nausea (44%), muscle spasms (28%), and rash (28%), the majority of which were of mild or moderate severity with a significant decline in frequency observed after 12 weeks of treatment. One patient experienced a serious adverse event of reversible agranulocytosis. Masitinib is a promising treatment for indolent forms of mastocytosis with handicap and indicates acceptable tolerability for long-term treatment regimens.
© 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21108325

PMID: 21108325 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Re: Masitinib for the treatment of systemic and cutaneous mastocytosis
Reply #1 - 01/06/11 at 06:27:08

Ramona:
If you look through my posts. I have brought up this drug many times and the test being done by dr v at md anderson in houston. I was in contact with a person in the test for a while but she stopped emailing me. Manuella thought it might have had something to do with the confidentiallity agreement that they sign. Mastinib is supposed to be approved by the FDA 1st part of next year, along with Canada and Europe all at the same time. The problem will be the cost & how insurance companies react to it. My doc was negative on it & compared it to gleevac, but i'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. I asked him why they were testing it on people with masto if it was a cancer only drug as he suggested, but he had no answer. By the way you all did a great job on the new site.
Mike V

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Masitinib for the treatment of systemic and cutaneous mastocytosis
Reply #2 - 01/06/11 at 07:42:30

Thanks Mike but Debbie did all he decorating--and site construction too, I am only helping to move posts here and do a bit of brainstorming. I am thrilled at Debbies creative expressions  Cheesy  Gotta love these funny smilies too hehe

About the drug,, I have to agree with you, I know there are side effects for any drug.. but Im game to take either one.. Its so hard for me personally right now. I have POTS really badly and its hard to even try to clean this house without my heart rate soaring and feeling weak. If something could make me a bit more like I used to be, I would kiss the drs feet LOL...  I have another article from NIH on Gleevec , and I will post that today for you Smiley
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print