Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I went into severe shock again (Read 1272 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
I went into severe shock again
01/09/11 at 06:25:14

I went into shock again Sat morning

About 3 or 4 am, I was watching a movie and went into shock again--very quickly, very strong, the worst one I have experienced. I already had some triggers I couldnt help--like a bacteria infection UTI, antibiotics, pain meds for some really terrible bone pain, I had spaghetti for supper (I cant have tomato products but I love it and hadnt had any for over 2 months). I was feeling very good before it happened.

I started flushing but this time it was different, It was a whole body flush and turned extremely bright red and burned terribly. I started having uncontrollable nausea, couldnt stop throwing up even though my stomach was empty by the time.

I knew something bad was happening and called my family (I live alone). In the meantime I grabbed my emergency meds and took 1 phenergan, 2 benadryl, 1 vistaril, 2 xanax (I was pretty upset and it makes it worse if I cant calm down), and 100 mg prednisone, I usually take 40 mg of that but I started having chest pain and alot of trouble breathing and I didnt think I was gonna make it until the ambulance arrived. I called 911 but they are about 35 miles away from me, I knew I had to tread water until they arrived.

My daughter got here and I went to the bathroom having projectile diarrhea and stomach/bowel spasming. I felt like I was blacking out and tried to remember to tell my daughter how much I loved her and how proud I was of her and her brother. When I feel like Im passing out, I have the extreme feeling, if I let myself do it, Im not coming back, so I fight it and pray. She gave my epi injection to me and i chanced it even though it was 2 years old (I couldnt afford a new one at 75$ each--my Medicaid was just approved and I was supposed to pick up new ones that day--what timing!) lol..

My daughter grabbed my emergency notebook and was talking to 911 on the phone. They got here and this old fat lady was sitting nude changing clothes on the toilet LOL--what a picture. Those guys were marvelous and I love them. They recognized me and so gently got a rolling chair to sit me on and rolled me to the front door (I couldnt stand, I was blacking out). They got me onto a stretcher and into the ambulance talking so sweetly and nicely to me the whole time. "Ramona, how have you been?" LOL...One guy reconized me, the other was new to my scenario LOL. He was relating my condition and problems to the new guy.

I was so embarassed, telling them I didnt know if I was gonna poop on myself and felt I was gonna blackout, and they soothed me and told me I wouldnt be the first. Thankfully I had told my daughter which meds I had taken and she related all of it--I was confused and remember maybe half of this. I was in cardiovascular collapse and it took 9 tries for them to get an IV in me. I told them I needed more epi. I dont know exactly what they gave me in the ambulance, but I was shaking uncontrollably and they said it was from the epi side effects. I remember them piling 3 blankets ion me and my daughter told me that they kicked my O2 up to 5L. (usually 2L) I remember hearing one guy telling the other guy to read my emergency notebook that it was great and he would learn alot.  One guy told me they were gonna have to tell my daughter not to follow them, they were gonna go too fast, I laughed and said "That would be wasted breath, she is stubborn and will do it anyway". Then they told me there was alot of traffic and they were gonna use red lights and sirens, not to get upset (we live where there is NO traffic LOL).. they are good and thoughful liars , trying not to scare me, since I am a nurse and know what it means. They are wonderful guys.  One of the EMTs also told me I need to contact our countys 911 station and give them my personal protocal to save time if someone responds to me that doesnt know me--and I will!

We got to the hospital and talk about coincidence----the dr was "Doctor J" from LCMC,  the original one who helped me figure out I had Mastocytosis and saved my life. I saw him and wanted to cry. The nurse who came in was ALSO one I have had more than once before. I felt I was in very loving hands.

He said, "Ramona, you already took everything I would give you , what can I do for you now?" laughing. I said my back was hurting me terribly and told him the only thing I could take for it--he had them give it to me. I was wrapped like a cocoon in blankets and fell asleep on and off... (still shaking uncontrollably) My daugher tells me they lost my BP a few times and it wouldnt stabilize for hours... I dont remember, I had to sit on a bed-pan a long time LOL (my choice).. but I was comfortable and felt safe by then. I remember the nurse asking me is she could copy my emergency notebook to keep for the hospitals protocal on Mastocytosis! Of course I said YES! They drew a Tryptase level and then other bloodwork--I dont know what. I know they kept me for 6 to 7 hours then I stabilized and they let me go home. It was maybe 1:30 in the afternoon. Before I left, I asked the Doctor for more prednisone (to replenish my emergency supply) and for a Rx for Epi pens--twins and a refill for my Claratin. He did all those things. He is WONDERFUL. I slept almost all day yesterday and fell better today.

What could have easily killed me ended up being a much more positive experience--not only because of the wonderful people who knew me and cared for me, but because I had a protocal to use and it was IN WRITING in m emergency notebook.. I caution EVERYONE, if you dont have a small bag of emergency meds to take or an emergency notebook, GET THEM NOW. When you are reacting, you will be confused and these things will SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Heres hoping I can avoid those other triggers for good Smiley

My love to you all,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print