Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Singulaire and Gastrocrom (Read 4116 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Question about Singulaire and Gastrocrom
01/04/11 at 15:36:36

(Archived from sandralee - original forum)
sandralee

Is Singulaire intended more for breathing difficulties or is it for other purposes as well? I noticed Deborah mentioned it's benefit for itching. Trying to understand why a doctor would prescribe this one in particular.

How does gastrocrom taste (without the diet coke)?

I am trying to understand as much as I can about medications before my doctor's appointment in early December. Since I am so sensitive to the 'other' ingredients, I want to have done good research so it's more likely I'll be able to get medications I can use, rather than ones that make me more sick! I'll also be quite busy in December and may not be online as much.

Thanks and hugs, Sandra Lee
23 November 2008 09:41 AM

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Question about Singulaire and Gastrocrom
Reply #1 - 01/04/11 at 15:37:33

(Archived from sharon-nc - original forum)
sharon-nc

Singular is a leuketriene (not sure I spelled that right) inhibitor. While it was originally prescribed for people with asthma, it is now being used very effectively for people with seasonal allergies. I can't go scientific here about leuketrienes and us and allergies, but if it is used to treat allergies it seems to work for us. Mast cell activation is (non medical describtion here) like an allergic reaction from the physiological response. You will find lots of masto's taking benefiting from Singular - even those who have never had asthma.
If for some reason you end up with the chewable singular - I think at the time that I tried Singular the low dose was only available in chewable - its got lactose in it - enough to trigger me. That happened 2 years ago - it may not bother you, and it is entirely possible that they've removed the lactose -but I reacted badly to the chewable.
Gastrocrom in Diet Coke? No you didn't. That is too funny! OK, first time for me was in Gatorade - I was concerened about the taste to. Actually I found that the taste isn't that odd or that bad. I did fine with the taste by adding it to cool water. Gastrocrom doesn't really have much of a taste to me. I like bitter and salty tastes, I don't like sweet tastes - Gatorade is as sweet as I am willing to go - I don't even drink sodas (most are two sweet for me). So there could be a slight bitter or salty taste - that would have been pleasant for me. As I recall I didn't really notice the taste, once I got brave enough to put it in plain water.
Take care,
Sharon
23 November 2008 11:11 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/04/11 at 15:38:53

(Archived from sandralee - original forum)
sandralee

The diet coke funny is from Jill's post on the medicines she takes!!!! It tickled me so thought I would add it to my question.
"(2) 100 mg ampules a day of Gastrocrom (WHY oh why can't it be Diet Coke compatable, wouldn't that be Nirvana?)"

Thanks Sharon, as always you have been so helpful. Maybe there's some hope for me with the gastrocrom since it's only in purified water, whereas Singular has my old friend corn starch (in the European version)! At this point, I am even willing to try lactose to avoid corn starch.

Hugs, Sandra Lee
23 November 2008 12:25 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/04/11 at 15:40:07

(Archived from starfish - original forum)
starfish

i recently had singulair added to my drug lineup.....anyone else feel it makes them bloated?
08 June 2009 10:37 AM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/04/11 at 15:41:24

(Archived from deborahw - original forum)
deborahw

Not me. It eliminated my itchiness, so it worked well for me. I no longer take it, as I wanted to try getting off some meds and Dr. Akin recommended that one out of the ones I take.

Our forum is moving soon!
Visit our new mast cell forum and apply for membership today:
mastcelldisorders.wallack.us
08 June 2009 05:09 PM

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/04/11 at 15:42:37

(Archived from jillg - original forum)
jillg

Singulair made me feel "weird", so I didn't take it.  I gave it a try, but I felt all out of it and stuff.  I am very sensitive to meds though.
09 June 2009 06:31 PM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print